Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still recovering from storm damage. The next things bothering me are these (large-ish) dents:

What's the best way to get at the back of this dent? My first thought was to remove the trunk liner. Second was to remove the wheel well liner.

I can get a stud welder, but if I can pop this out with a mallet and some patience, I'd rather save the $200.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
The advice I got from my Kappa expert is to:
1) Remove the inner liner
2) Beat on it
3) Call a good body man

Translation: You can try, but won't be able to make this look good by yourself.

You might want to talk to a body shop first to maybe avoid making it worse.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Still recovering from storm damage. The next things bothering me are these (large-ish) dents:

What's the best way to get at the back of this dent? My first thought was to remove the trunk liner. Second was to remove the wheel well liner.

I can get a stud welder, but if I can pop this out with a mallet and some patience, I'd rather save the $200.

I don't thing $200 will even come close to the cost. A stud welder will not pull that out anywhere near what will look good. The top crease will be the hard part and getting the gas door to realign will be another challenge. I would get an estimate at a body shop and as JohnWr says don't do anything until you do.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would get an estimate at a body shop and as JohnWr says don't do anything until you do.
The $200 is the cost of a stud welder, not a pro repair.

I appreciate everyone's input, but if I hired a professional every time I needed something difficult done, I wouldn't have the career that I have. Plus, it's more fun this way. I was told the same thing before I built my engine a few months ago. AFTER a shop took $3500 and left me stranded with a thrown rod, I did my research, built one myself, and have just shy of 10k miles on it now.

No one ever got to be good at something by paying others to do it.

I don't expect to get it perfect - just less horrible. Worst case(s) are that I cut it and weld in a patch, or replace the whole panel. But, I'm going to start with the less painful / costly approach first.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
[/QUOTE]No one ever got to be good at something by paying others to do it.

I don't expect to get it perfect - just less horrible. Worst case(s) are that I cut it and weld in a patch, or replace the whole panel. But, I'm going to start with the less painful / costly approach first.[/QUOTE]

Well to that I wish you good luck.
If a professional look is not what you are after then I guess you can look at it as a learning process.
Please keep us posted on your progress and final product.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well to that I wish you good luck.
If a professional look is not what you are after then I guess you can look at it as a learning process.
Please keep us posted on your progress and final product.

Thanks. I realize I'm not going to get a professional-quality result on my first (or third) try, but it's a skill I'd like to acquire. This car has always been a project / learning process. Right now, it's pretty ugly - primer-colored hood, damaged front clip (on the bottom, so not THAT horrible), trunk lid doesn't line up right.

But, it's *fast*. :)

I ordered some of Norm's vented fenders back in the Cretaceous era, though I may try my hand at making a set. I'm getting pretty good with the fiberglass work. Not master craftsman level, but good enough to make simple stuff.

My father has done his share of (professional) body work in his day, and can always be relied upon to say "Are you sure you wanna do that?" Which inevitably means that I'm about to do something stupid.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to replace quite a bit of stuff and repaint the entire car, which will be our winter project after I get the new engine in my G35 (kid hauler #2). We're also going to weld up a rollbar - a friend builds custom hotrods and has done his share of work in that vein - which I plan on doing before the body work. So, it's okay that this won't be perfect.

I'll pull the liner(s) off this weekend and see what kind of access I can get. It probably won't work. If not, it'll be a spectacular and entertaining failure! :D

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your continued encouragement, Rob. It makes me feel less obstinate and more... Determined. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Thanks for your continued encouragement, Rob. It makes me feel less obstinate and more... Determined. :)

Go for it! The rear quarter panels on the Sol an Sky are the most expensive panels to replace on our cars, due to they're being bonded to the substructure of the car. No matter what you do, the panel is already damaged.

Keep us all up do date, pictures required!

:yay:

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
I am all for doing things, and for learning to do new things, but the deep end of the pool is not always the best place to start. There are times that professional help is a really good idea.

My thought was to have a professional look at it to get their take on what can be done and what it would cost. If they tell you that it is not repairable then by all means go at it, as you have nothing to lose. If they say it is repairable you have to decide whether your attempt is likely to be successful and, if it isn't, will you make it enough worse that the pro can no longer fix it.

You can always cut a part out of another car (most are damaged in the front), and splice it in, so nothing is irreversible, but that doesn't mean that it will be the most effective way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts

If you decide you want to try a different way I have a quarter section that will fit. $150 plus shipping . It is a rough cut next to the glue seam. I drilled out the spot welds on the top. Have repaired several using this type of section, not a difficult fix.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you decide you want to try a different way I have a quarter section that will fit. $150 plus shipping . It is a rough cut next to the glue seam. I drilled out the spot welds on the top. Have repaired several using this type of section, not a difficult fix.
I might take you up in that, going to give this a shot first. Car is already on jacks, may as well.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PM sent re:quarter panel.

Yesterday, I found my intercooler mount bolts were missing and the trunk buttresses not releasing, spent all day yesterday on that and some debadging. I'm inclined to replace that section now that I've spent more time looking at it.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Making some progress with the stud welder and come-along. Good times. My dad is doing the welding as he has a lot of experience in that area. I'm on grinding, filling an painting duty.

I ground a strip of skin about 2" x 1/4" x 2mm off of my left index finger when removing some paint with the mini grinder. Now wearing welding gloves. It did not feel good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a fun time!
It certainly is.

Here are a few pics of the current state of things. I need to go back and fill in the welding holes, go over it some more with the flap disc and then get in their with the body filler before painting. (See pics.) Overall, though, I think it turned out pretty well so far.

(The black paint is just to fend off the rust until I have time to get back toit.)

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More progress! Door is fixed and primer'd. Got the quarter panel pulled - nontrivial is an understatement.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Door. That was a LOT of work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts