Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's been a while since my last post but I had an accident yesterday just 2 weeks from my road trip to NASSM 2013... Tomorrow I'm bringing it to the body shop so hopefully I can have it ready, wish me luck.

By the way the fault was from the other guy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Honda looks a lot worse off:thumbs:! Hopefully all goes well with the repairs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
How did the accident occur? I can't tell from the diagram. I flunked Diagram 101.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I could see damage on front bumper, left wheel, left headlight, left turn signal, right door, hood & intercooler...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the other car's damage looks worse but I really don't care about his car because he was speeding on the parking. Who do not yield on an intersection even if there's no yield or stop signal? He was crossing from the other parking lot and wanted to go straight on the crash intersection and didn't stop there and because he was over speed he couldn't stop and crash me

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good luck.

Sometimes a shop says they can do a job in 10 days which turns into them keeping the car for a month. Kind of appears to be superficial damage. Would just throw a hood bra on there and proceed with plans for the 2013 Nationals. :thumbs:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sometimes a shop says they can do a job in 10 days which turns into them keeping the car for a month. Kind of appears to be superficial damage. Would just throw a hood bra on there and proceed with plans for the 2013 Nationals. :thumbs:
Every September for many years I would go down to the NOPI Nationals in Atlanta. I would leave early on a Thursday morning *2am* to meet up with the SuperStreet Tour on the way down.

About 8 - 9 years ago, I ran into the back of a Buick with my SL2... at around 4pm the day before I was to leave. I called the Saturn body shop and asked how long it may take to fix. Obviously they had to see it first.

I was thankfully able to still drive it, so I took it over to the shop. The estimator said it would take about 5 days to fix if they had/could get all the parts (hood, headlamps, bumper cover, cross beam, etc). I mentioned my rush, and they said they would see what they could do... but could not promise anything.

They started working on it first thing Thursday morning... and Friday at 3:30 in the afternoon, they called me to let me know it was complete. I picked it up and drove straight through to the show in Atlanta... about 18 hours. As soon as I parked, the car was judged... and I placed 2nd in my class. :cool:

Long story short... some body shops can and will work magic. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Every September for many years I would go down to the NOPI Nationals in Atlanta. I would leave early on a Thursday morning *2am* to meet up with the SuperStreet Tour on the way down.

About 8 - 9 years ago, I ran into the back of a Buick with my SL2... at around 4pm the day before I was to leave. I called the Saturn body shop and asked how long it may take to fix. Obviously they had to see it first.

I was thankfully able to still drive it, so I took it over to the shop. The estimator said it would take about 5 days to fix if they had/could get all the parts (hood, headlamps, bumper cover, cross beam, etc). I mentioned my rush, and they said they would see what they could do... but could not promise anything.

They started working on it first thing Thursday morning... and Friday at 3:30 in the afternoon, they called me to let me know it was complete. I picked it up and drove straight through to the show in Atlanta... about 18 hours. As soon as I parked, the car was judged... and I placed 2nd in my class. :cool:

Nice story. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Agreed. I was rear ended last year a week before T2TR. I got out of the car yelling at the doe eyed teenager, "I have to be in Ohio in a week for a cruise". I took a pic of his tag before he could run and then made my first call. Which wasn't to the police but to the body shop (who know me well). I told them I'd be coming in hot to start looking for a new rear bumper cover. :lol: Is it a bad thing when the body shop calls you "one of our best customers"? Anyhoo, that was on Thursday, I picked it back up from the shop on Wednesday looking good as new and left Thursday am for Ohio.

If you explain to the BS what the rush is and offer to pass out their business cards they will work with you to get it done quickly.

So sorry about your accident though, I hope they can get it done fast.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just came from the body shop, an estimate of $3,600 of damage :cuss:. I explained the guy than I'm on a rush and he understood but he didn't guarantee than it will be done on time for my trip. i asked if they can fix the major problems and leave the paint for after the trip but they can't do that for safety reasons and because the parts come in no order so they'll work with what they have.

It's gonna be new front bumper, right headlight, right fog/turn signal, some supports for the bumper, hood, wheel fixed, door fixed, front alignment, service the airbag... On the picture it does not look that bad but once you check the pieces affected is pretty bad.

So my road trip to the West Coast this summer is not dead, in the worst case scenario I'll be hitting the event in a rental Chevy Impala :yesnod:, just don't blame me on the Solstice road trips to the Grand Canyon.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Agreed. I was rear ended last year a week before T2TR. I got out of the car yelling at the doe eyed teenager, "I have to be in Ohio in a week for a cruise". I took a pic of his tag before he could run and then made my first call. Which wasn't to the police but to the body shop (who know me well). I told them I'd be coming in hot to start looking for a new rear bumper cover. :lol: Is it a bad thing when the body shop calls you "one of our best customers"? Anyhoo, that was on Thursday, I picked it back up from the shop on Wednesday looking good as new and left Thursday am for Ohio.

If you explain to the BS what the rush is and offer to pass out their business cards they will work with you to get it done quickly.

So sorry about your accident though, I hope they can get it done fast.
Sadly my body shop has my car pictured on their business cards . . . .

·
Registered
612 Posts
Interesting, so the Honda was driving through the lot and you were turning into the lot. The sky shot doesn't show whether the Honda had a (internal) stop sign or any other warning/yield prior to the driveway ingress/egress, but if not, then wouldn’t the property owner share in the culpability? Or perhaps in Texas, drivers entering a business' parking lot have the right-of-way over drivers already in the business' parking lot? Glad to see you’re OK and that you're getting it fixed. $3600 is a lot of repair moolah! :eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just came from the body shop, an estimate of $3,600 of damage :cuss:. I explained the guy than I'm on a rush and he understood but he didn't guarantee than it will be done on time for my trip. i asked if they can fix the major problems and leave the paint for after the trip but they can't do that for safety reasons and because the parts come in no order so they'll work with what they have.

It's gonna be new front bumper, right headlight, right fog/turn signal, some supports for the bumper, hood, wheel fixed, door fixed, front alignment, service the airbag... On the picture it does not look that bad but once you check the pieces affected is pretty bad.

So my road trip to the West Coast this summer is not dead, in the worst case scenario I'll be hitting the event in a rental Chevy Impala :yesnod:, just don't blame me on the Solstice road trips to the Grand Canyon.
Ouch... quite a bit of work. I wish you a speedy recovery so you can arrive in the Sol. :)

Mine should too with all the work I have had there lol... with the dealer's rewards program points I built up from the body shop and service, I was able to save $1,500 off my Astra... that combined with the GM rebate, cash for clunkers, and GM card points... I saved $13,000. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I have thus far had every single body panel replaced with the exception of the doors. :( Even the hood and the deck lid. Both wheel wells twice. I hate road gators!!!

vcliment89 - That is alot of damage. I really hope they can get it fixed for you quickly. Although it looks like, by your head nod, that you would enjoy driving either car. But would still be nice to go to a kappa event actually driving a kappa. Super glad that you're ok and no one was injured.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine should too with all the work I have had there lol... with the dealer's rewards program points I built up from the body shop and service, I was able to save $1,500 off my Astra... that combined with the GM rebate, cash for clunkers, and GM card points... I saved $13,000. :cool:
Wow that's a lot of savings! Last update from the body shop is than the estimate cost now is $5,333.82 which in my opinion is way to much for the damage it have, but the insurance is paying so... I'm going to see if now than the car is in the garage I can install the lowering springs than I have and the new GT fenders if the cost is not too much for me now. They said they ordered most of the parts and will be here in like a week, I think I'm not gonna make it for the NASSM this year, but the Impala is not bad with 300HP (FWD)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Heck I had a door ding on the passenger upper corner near the mirror. Cost $ 1100.00. Talk about ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Heck I had a door ding on the passenger upper corner near the mirror. Cost $ 1100.00. Talk about ridiculous.
My painter quotes $500 per panel to pull, prep, paint, polish, reinstall. Dents are based on labor. Small dent $25. Large dent $60

I of course get the "special" rate.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Had the Impala as a rental when my Sol was waiting for a cat. It had nice acceleration but the torque steer was BS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts