Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that a few of you lucky members have your babies...maybe someone will pay attention to their actual mileage and do updates for us. With gas being $2.60 here, by next year when I get mine Im sure it will be $3 a gallon. Hoping the lil booger gets better than posted mileage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
deepdawg said:
Now that a few of you lucky members have your babies...maybe someone will pay attention to their actual mileage and do updates for us. With gas being $2.60 here, by next year when I get mine Im sure it will be $3 a gallon. Hoping the lil booger gets better than posted mileage.
My PT turbo convertible is getting about 26 on average, and it's 300lbs heavier with 43 more HP, so figure the Sol should easily meet or exceed that number. I live in LA and commute on the 5 freeway, so there is a lot of stop and go in that number.

·
Registered
169 Posts
17 in the Envoy XL and 28 in the Grand Am GT. I would be happy closer to the Grand Am's mileage, but mileage isn't why I want the Solstice. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
you guys have it cheap down there. Gas in Calgary went to 103.9 per litre so times that by 4 and that's over 4.15 cents per gallon. so hopfully the gas mileage is good. But who cares because I will be driving my new baby til the snow falls.

Aggressive with leather

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
fieroed88 said:
id rove the car for two days and my average was 32( half city)
Honestly, I've NEVER gotten that high a mileage except for the single time I zeroed the Driver Information System average fuel economy on the highway - and then babied it for 74 miles (stayed exactly 70 MPH on inclines, below 35% throttle the entire time, coasted at every opportunity...).

I think you're in for a big friggin suprise if you think the Solstice will do 32 MPG on average.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I always laugh at these mileage discussions. Especially when people try to compare octane levels. There is so many noise variables day to day I can't imagine trying categorize actual road mileage over just a few tanks.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Darkhamr said:
I always laugh at these mileage discussions. Especially when people try to compare octane levels. There is so many noise variables day to day I can't imagine trying categorize actual road mileage over just a few tanks.
Exactly. It takes over 2000-3000 miles and keeping track of every drop of fuel you put in, along with a "normal" usage schedule (meaning don't drop a 1000 mile highway trip that you take once a year in the middle of your check) to figure out how you'll fare in normal mileage. You also should be anal about fuel filter, air filter, and tire pressures.

Additionally, for the new cars I've done mileage tracking for, the first year (or actually the first 8000 miles) seem to have about 1.6 MPG lower average fuel economy. I assume this is some sort of break-in period - so you really shouldn't do a long term mileage check before 10,000 miles (just my anectdotal input).

I've found over the last two decades that a decent 2000 mile sample of normal driving matches the average mileage I get in a car over a 2-year period, within a tenth or two. That was when I used to log mileage and fuel EVERY SINGLE TIME. I don't do that now - ya tend to get lazy in your older age.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's why I love http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do they have a fuel economy tracking system you can do various ways depending on your desires. You sign up for it, it's free and I have yet to get any spam from them. It tracks you fuel economy and compares it to the 'suggested' values. You can also share your findings so others can see real world values.

Of course the Solstice isn't on thier list of cars yet though.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My civic still gets 38 mpg average even with 232000 miles on it. It has been a life saver since my CTS only gets about 20. I use the civic as my commuter car for work and my CtS for pleasure. My Solstice will also be a pleasure car so I am not too worried about the MPG.

·
Registered
535 Posts
solsticeman said:
Additionally, for the new cars I've done mileage tracking for, the first year (or actually the first 8000 miles) seem to have about 1.6 MPG lower average fuel economy. I assume this is some sort of break-in period - so you really shouldn't do a long term mileage check before 10,000 miles (just my anectdotal input).
That has been my experience as well.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Lets see, about 17mpg in the GMC on a good day, V-Rod: 40mpg on premium. I will be happy with around 25 average on the Sol at close to 3 smacks a gallon for premium!

·
4,592 Posts
Excelsior said:
Driving normal, I seem to be averaging 23mpg right now.
Once you get past breakin, and start tompin that pedal every time you accelerate from a light, expect 13-14mpg around town, ask me how I know :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts