Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Well it looks like I am down to only one option.

I took apart both radios and the face plates don't look to be interchangeable. The screws for holding down the board are different. The newer radio has what looks like a lighted panel between the buttuns where as my old one doesn't.

Also, the USB port is wired directly into the main board. It is not a separate unit.

So, I picked up some paint and will attempt to paint the new radio face plate. I will be doing this over the next couple of weeks. I will post pics of before and after.
To be clear here, you'd swap the WHOLE faceplate, incl the circuit board. Just as long as the connectors are in the same place and size.

However, if the USB is non-movable and you don't have the soldering skills to desolder (and remote) it, then painting is your only option. Just be aware that the button and screen lighting won't match your old radio.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Tomato.

I was planning on ONLY swapping the face plate. The circuit boards attached entirely differently (totally different connections).

I realize the lighting colour will be different. No biggie for me.

I will try my painting skills. If all looks good, I will schedule a dealer unlock. If it still looks like crap, then off to Kijiji or Craiglist it goes for $40 CDN :)

The good news is I am getting good at swapping radios. I can now swap the radio in less than 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Finally got around to painting the new UUI radio. I am color blind, so I had to get my wife to find the paint that matched the current faceplate the best. Turns out a GM Bronzemist color is virtually perfect.

I am pretty impressed with my paint skills :)

Here is the silver face before paint:

Here is the face after painting:

I am going to polish out any scratches on the lense this week with Meguiars PlastX.

When the weather warms up this week I will install and take some pics and then off to the dealer for reprogram.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I know this is an old thread and the paint job is done, but I kinda liked the bronze stereo. I have tan door panels and a body-color boomerang. I think it would have looked pretty good in my car!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts