Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Sol for 5 weeks and 1200 miles and have no complaints. I ordered it loaded w/o A/C and am having second thoughts given how hot the last few summers have been in NY. Also, traffic is a problem in the summer since I live in a resort town and half your driving time is at a crawl. I asked the dealer about adding A/C for next summer and his service dep't said it would be a major undertaking.I assume this means the compressor is buried and half the car would have to be taken apart. Does anyone with A/C know the difficulty factor of retrofitting A/C?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. Read the thread and you're right and my dealer is right. Way too much involved in retrofitting A/C. I guess I'll have to order it on the GXP version. Things could be alot worse.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Definitely need A/C

mobboss said:
I've had my Sol for 5 weeks and 1200 miles and have no complaints. I ordered it loaded w/o A/C and am having second thoughts given how hot the last few summers have been in NY. Also, traffic is a problem in the summer since I live in a resort town and half your driving time is at a crawl. I asked the dealer about adding A/C for next summer and his service dep't said it would be a major undertaking.I assume this means the compressor is buried and half the car would have to be taken apart. Does anyone with A/C know the difficulty factor of retrofitting A/C?
This is a classic mistake many 1st time roadster buyers make. Having owned several, you can not really enjoy your car W/O A/C. There are times you'll want to get from point A to Point B with the top up & since the back window is fixed, opening the windows will NOT be desireable.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
mobboss said:
One never buys a car with out A/C. economics 101.

·
Registered
576 Posts
After Market Choices

Depending on how concerned you are in looking orginal, there are aftermarket A/C systems that you can add. VintageAir makes a number of systems. The challenge will be finding a spot for the evaporator.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SolLate said:
Depending on how concerned you are in looking orginal, there are aftermarket A/C systems that you can add. VintageAir makes a number of systems. The challenge will be finding a spot for the evaporator.
:agree:
And the Vintage units are excellent performers. I'm curious, withot A/C does it still have the vent openings in the dash?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$$ISKING said:
This is a classic mistake many 1st time roadster buyers make. Having owned several, you can not really enjoy your car W/O A/C. There are times you'll want to get from point A to Point B with the top up & since the back window is fixed, opening the windows will NOT be desireable.
I actually have owned two Fiat Spiders w/o A/C and enjoyed them immensely. Like I mentioned in my 1st post, traffic jams have gotten intolerable around here. I forgot to take it into consideration, And with global warming..........As for not getting A/C being an economic no-no; I agree with that concerning most vehicles, but don't agree on a roadster. If I lived anywhere but a crowded resort townI wouldnot get A/C on a roadster. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
275 Posts
" And with global warming"
That's pretty funny. Even the highest estimates of temperature change
couldn't be noticed by the average person. Temperature variations year to year completely overwhelm any global warming effects. It's amazing how the media can spread a belief w/o any accompanying specific information. When it comes to science, well ... there must have been at least 2000 articles
over the past decade that falsely claimed that this or that was harmful, deadly , cured, etc. First caffein was bad, then good, then real bad, then OK.
Some people must have stopped/restarted drinking coffee ten times before
it was all over. How many remember the "cranberries cause cancer" scare that destroyed the cranberry business for one Thanksgiving and one Xmas before it was finally debunked?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kingarthur said:
" And with global warming"
That's pretty funny. Even the highest estimates of temperature change
couldn't be noticed by the average person. Temperature variations year to year completely overwhelm any global warming effects. It's amazing how the media can spread a belief w/o any accompanying specific information. When it comes to science, well ... there must have been at least 2000 articles
over the past decade that falsely claimed that this or that was harmful, deadly , cured, etc. First caffein was bad, then good, then real bad, then OK.
Some people must have stopped/restarted drinking coffee ten times before
it was all over. How many remember the "cranberries cause cancer" scare that destroyed the cranberry business for one Thanksgiving and one Xmas before it was finally debunked?
That was a joke, Kingarthur. Lighten up!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mobboss: Your dealer is on the money. The problem is the ac system in modern cars, is integrated through the pcm. For instance when the compressor cycles on, the pcm commands an adjustment to compensate the idle speed, etc. I would think because of this an aftermarket system may be disaster ready to strike. If you decide to undertake this you will probably be better off using factory components. But my guess is you will have trouble finding a dealer who will want to undertake the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What, No Air?.......Not in my neck of the woods.....

Edit, think you would ever order a new car in AZ without air? :lol: DANG....You would ROAST in your car in the Summer! :lol: Never, ever, ever, order a car without A/C. That's our rule in AZ and CA!..... :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ntouched said:
Edit, think you would ever order a new car in AZ without air? :lol: DANG....You would ROAST in your car in the Summer! :lol: Never, ever, ever, order a car without A/C. That's our rule in AZ and CA!..... :yesnod:
NO. I wouldn't, but the dealer where I placed my original order actually ordered 2 withouth A/C and my response to that was, "What wwere you thinking?". Ironically, both of those buyers have backed out and they have to try to sell them. They tried doing a sales job on me. Yeah, sure. :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Editguy said:
NO. I wouldn't, but the dealer where I placed my original order actually ordered 2 withouth A/C and my response to that was, "What wwere you thinking?". Ironically, both of those buyers have backed out and they have to try to sell them. They tried doing a sales job on me. Yeah, sure. :lol:
Now there's one instance that I think I could understand a dealer charging a non-refundable deposit ... some joker walks in and orders no A/C in a climate like that. This early, they should still be able to sell it, but they might have to go with an out of state buyer unless they can find somebody looking for a track car.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SlySol said:
Now there's one instance that I think I could understand a dealer charging a non-refundable deposit ... some joker walks in and orders no A/C in a climate like that. This early, they should still be able to sell it, but they might have to go with an out of state buyer unless they can find somebody looking for a track car.
I talked to other dealers around the state that said they wouldn't order one without A/C. Sems like a measure of wisdom to me!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remember talking with a Saturn salesman about a Saturn dealer locally who allowed a customer to order an Sl2 without a/c. Of course the buyer backed out before the car was delivered. The last I heard, the dealer was still stuck with the car two years later. I think if I were a dealer and someone wanted a car without a/c, I'd order it with air, and recover the charge and remove the parts from the engine compartment to put in stock as "take offs". The biggest problem with retrofitting a/c is taking the dash apart to install the evaporator. I'd also put in some "dealer markup" to cover my trouble. As far as aftermarket a/c being a problem, the factory air may be controlled by the ecu, but it isn't a problem to wire a solenoid that kicks up the idle speed when a/c is on. The problem is if they use a different radiator without a/c, adding a/c can take more than an a/c system install. The other thing that is probably built into the ecu, but won't be in an aftermarket a/c, is that with a 4 cylinder they probably disengage the compressor clutch under acceleration or a hard climb. They often do that with smaller engines to free up horsepower when needed. You won't get that in an aftermarket a/c.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In 1988 I ordered a Chevy S-10 pick up in Mesa suburb of Phoenix) Az.It took forever to get here and when it did it came without factory ac :brentil: (which I implicitly said) I wanted.Salesman was at a loss to explain the mix up.I sincerly hope I don't experience the same with my Solstice order

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.