Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently own an 06 Solstice Base that has the monsoon system, looking at an 07 GPX that doesn't have it. Does anyone know if the wiring harnesses are universal on these cars, could I just move the monsoon parts to the non monsoon car, plug and play?

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
No. At least in my case... my non-Monsoon 2008 GXP did NOT have the harness in place.

Makes sense when you think about it. The speakers for the non-Monsoon cars are wired to the front at the Head Unit, whereas the Monsoon car speakers are wired to the back at the amplifier.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
No...seeing as how I just did this. There's lots of work to add the sub and the 5th and 6th speaker to the standard sound system. I just redid my monsoon system and replaced it all, but used the monsoon sub box. So here's what you would need to do. You'll need to find an amp. Toroaudio.com makes some nice, cheap ($100), small amps and I would use these if I were to do it all over again. You'll probably need a new headunit as well to get the bass. You'll need a monsoon enclosure unless you're making your own, because the room behind the panel is scant at best and GM did a nice job utilizing the space. (Trust me, buy the OE and enclose it in fiberglass...it'll save you some big headaches). Once you get the box, in order to get a decent sound on an aftermarket subwoofer, you'll need to cover the box in fiberglass.

I know, I know....it sounds like a lot and you probably don't believe anything I just said. I was that way 2 months ago when I first started doing my complete system in my car. I was a complete newbie at car stereo and I can tell you where I made my mistakes and what I would have done differently. I'll save you tons of time and money on it if you need help and advice. Please don't do what I did and not listen to everyone else thats already done it....LOL I could have saved about $1k on my install and about 3 days of time.

EDIT: If you wait till the spring, I might even have a decent fiberglass mock up....depends on my ambition and employment...LOL

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Sorry duplicate.....DOH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
No...seeing as how I just did this. There's lots of work to add the sub and the 5th and 6th speaker to the standard sound system. I just redid my monsoon system and replaced it all, but used the monsoon sub box. So here's what you would need to do. You'll need to find an amp. Toroaudio.com makes some nice, cheap ($100), small amps and I would use these if I were to do it all over again. You'll probably need a new headunit as well to get the bass. You'll need a monsoon enclosure unless you're making your own, because the room behind the panel is scant at best and GM did a nice job utilizing the space. (Trust me, buy the OE and enclose it in fiberglass...it'll save you some big headaches). Once you get the box, in order to get a decent sound on an aftermarket subwoofer, you'll need to cover the box in fiberglass.

I know, I know....it sounds like a lot and you probably don't believe anything I just said. I was that way 2 months ago when I first started doing my complete system in my car. I was a complete newbie at car stereo and I can tell you where I made my mistakes and what I would have done differently. I'll save you tons of time and money on it if you need help and advice. Please don't do what I did and not listen to everyone else thats already done it....LOL I could have saved about $1k on my install and about 3 days of time.

EDIT: If you wait till the spring, I might even have a decent fiberglass mock up....depends on my ambition and employment...LOL
So what would you have done differently? Bigger sub, right? Told you to go w/ a 12. Or at least a 10.
(Just giving you a hard time lol)

To the OP, the above posters are correct; you don't have the wiring in place. If I were you, the only Monsoon related piece of equipment I'd get would be the sub box. These are often on eBay and are relatively inexpensive. Go aftermarket for speakers, amp and head unit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The wiring harness is more work then you think, if you have the patience and a bad enough want to do it...
To replace the wiring harness will require removing pretty much every piece of the interior including the dashboard. The speaker wires on the non monsoon vehicle run to the factory radio where the wiring for the monsoon runs to the amp behind the plastic panel that is behind the drivers seat.

You also have to bring the vehicle down to GM after you are finished and have them code the amplifier and the head unit to your vehicle. Probably cost you 125.00 USD to get it done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
adapting a monsoon sub box will never be near as good as a custom box, you should ditch everything monsoon.

10 inch shallow mount Sub is the way to go, JL audio 10tw3-d4 is what I went with.

then as nice 6.5 component speakers as you can afford, I went with Jbl 660 gti.

and a powerful amp. I went with a Bluetooth One so then you don’t need a head unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts