Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 2.4l . Was wondering if I can add a turbo to that size engine. Car has 97,000 us it a good idea to add it to car with that many mile. Had anyone else done this?

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
You can do it but first you need to know what you are working with as far as the engine goes . Have you owned the car since new and kept up the maintenance ? If you bought it used do you know the history , how hard was the car driven ,any service work performed on the car ,oil and coolant changes etc. 2.4 are pretty stout engines and have gone 200,000 miles with no major issues ,the 06 and 07 engines can handle up to 400/450 HP and still be reliable . The first thing I would do is run a compression test this will give you some idea of the condition of the rings ,valves and cylinders a base to start with . I would replace the timing chain ,water pump , injectors ( you should get new ones if you get a kit from a reputable vendor as part of the kit ) just to be on the safe side . How much HP are you looking to gain and what type of driving will you be doing with the car street/track ,and most of all how much are you willing to spend ? I've got probably over 5 grand in my engine and exhaust and I started with a low mileage car 27000 at the time that was previously owned by a GM dealership secretary .I have a Hann Racecraft kit (which I would highly recommend ) and a bunch of extras and am running a conservative tune and boost which for me is fine it can be done just do your homework . 028.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to get 325 total horsepower. It has new water pump. I bought it from a lady who drive it mellow. I trying not to spend more than $1500. What you think about just adding a performance chip?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 2006 solstice N/A but with a big tune. It helps And I do have a lot of supporting mods too. I have about 185 to the wheels. You will not get a good Turbo kit for $1500. Plenty of options though. Hahn turbo kits, RPM-motor works turbo kits, Performance AutoWerks turbo kit, and DDMWorks supercharger. Hahn is the original and RPM kits use all GM parts unless you go for bigger power, Performance AutoWerks offers the RTR or ready to run kit That includes everything you will need to run hard including the clutch. DDMs supercharger kit is the easiest to install but most limiting on making big power numbers.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
If you'd like to add a performance chip, find the most expensive one you can and just send the money to me. I guarantee you'll get the same performance! ;)

As others have said, Hahn, Performance, and DDM are the most common sources for blowing air into your engine. Do some searching on the forum and you'll find a LOT of good info.

I'm considering a supercharger.

Someday.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
As CW mentioned a chip is just snake oil 325 at the wheels ? don't think that will happen on your budget as I've said time and time again horsepower costs money .Before I did the turbo I did all the upgrades available at the time CAI,exhaust ,high flow cat ,header and tune and gained 30 HP cost was around $1500 it was a noticeable improvement but no where near the addition of the turbo .You can get a Hann kit for about $3500 without all the extras I have save your money and go that route if your looking for performance .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2006 solstice N/A but with a big tune. It helps And I do have a lot of supporting mods too. I have about 185 to the wheels. You will not get a good Turbo kit for $1500. Plenty of options though. Hahn turbo kits, RPM-motor works turbo kits, Performance AutoWerks turbo kit, and DDMWorks supercharger. Hahn is the original and RPM kits use all GM parts unless you go for bigger power, Performance AutoWerks offers the RTR or ready to run kit That includes everything you will need to run hard including the clutch. DDMs supercharger kit is the easiest to install but most limiting on making big power numbers.
Thanks for the information. I’m not a very knowledgeable about performance. Think I might just do some exterior work first and then think about the engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the information. I’m not a very knowledgeable about performance. Think I might just do some exterior work first and then think about the engine.
I did all the chassis and suspension mods first. They are cheaper and make the car a rocket on back roads. One of the best mods is DDMs short throw shifter if your car is a manual.

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
I am a solid proponent of making handling improvements before power increases, and not convinced of the need for more power, unless more power is the only thing that makes you happy.

Check DDMWorks - Enjoy Your Ride! for their ProBeam, a brace that will stabilize the rear of the car for better cornering. They have other braces too, but I am not a fan of either of them. At 97k you may need new shocks. I recommend the stock ones, but others will advocate stiffening the car. I think that decreases the car's handling, but you will have to decide. Also make sure you have good tires.

And, I agree that the performance chip is a waste of money.

Reactions: Sting Ya
1 - 9 of 9 Posts