Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the two front quarter panels off the car to take out the underside impressions from past mechanics lifting the car improperly. The impressions were minor, but more importantly, the quarter panels did not align well with the doors. A little manipulation and they are perfect again. With them off, I cleaned them up to discover along the bottom, little spots of rust forming on the inside and surface rust on the outside. I sanded them clean, primed and painted with a paint brush. I first masked them off and placed them on the car to determine if brush work would be seen when bent over, and it will not. Only seen if looking upward from below. Being a black car, black paint is very forgiving.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed the front quarter panels. It took only a little effort to aligned them properly with the door and the hood, looking so much better then when I bought the car a few months ago. At the same time I installed brand new OEM front fender liners with care & consideration to their vulnerability.

The car is really starting to have "Creme Puff" potential. I've been going from end to end making it the best it can be. The car was really in fine condition to begin with. I am just getting so dang picky and loving it. I've taken care of all brakes to perfection along with drilled & slotted silver zinc plated rotors and ceramic pads, power-coated the wheels Alien Silver, new trunk carpet, new R/R tail light, new center mirror, lots of LED bulb upgrading, and a new antenna base to install the original antenna back so I can listen to the radio again. I broke the original antenna base trying to unscrew the 4" antenna that had been there. I twisted the threaded rod right off because it was corroded on. The standard antenna is back on & well greased so that won't happen again.

I still need to reinforce the seat springs and install the new leather seat skins (repair or replace driver seat cushion), buy 4 new tires (Sumitomo HTR-Z III), cut 2 blank keys & then program 3 keys, 3 fobs, final detailing of the rest of the car, then re-badge the back end and I think it's going to turn out better than I had planned to.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Well done ron

You definitely have the bug.

The panels you repaired are the front fenders. We don't have front "quarter panels"

When you get these mods done, you will find more.

Make sure to share pictures of your seats please.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the correction in terminology over the front fenders. I did wonder if I had their name right.

It won't be for a good while before getting back into the seats but I will surely take pics including my final decision on seat base sag. I believe carpet over the springs is the answer, just not yet decided what kind, either the brown plush I tried, or a tight weave. I am also considering half inch carpet foam padding on top of the cushion inside the velcro-sealed center section.

The leather I chose is different so I am itching to see the end result myself. I ordered the inner areas in perforated leather, 100% black with black thread. I am counting on it fitting right and looking awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts