Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discussed elswhere the fact that I am having problems with the Punisher's lifting "hard" points. Over time mine have become badly deformed. It has reached the point where they have started to fail. I have to use a block of wood and lifting puck in order to put the car on jack stands on the two front lift points.

You can see in this picture of a car on jack stands that the lifting "hard point" is beginning to fail. On mine, the structure has deformed so badly that there is no flat surface at all.

I went to Doctor Dave and asked him if he would be willing to build a set of "Kappa Shoes" that could be mounted to these hard points to eliminate this structural weakness.

He shared with me the following:
"I know exactly what you are talking about since we have seen these crushed on a lot of cars. We took a look at a car on the lift and have some good ideas of how to do it. We also are going to lower the mount a little bit which should help to keep people from getting their fenders crushed in the future.

I will start working on the CAD model and see what I can come up with."

So we need to come up with a name for this new item.
Kappa Kradle?
Roadster Booties?
Kappa Shoes?

Share your name suggestions here please.
:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got an update from Doctor Dave

I kinda like the "Kappa Kradle", that is pretty fun. I will have to see what else we can think of, let me know if you come up with any other ideas for names.

We are also pretty sure they will be made from Stainless, as plain steel ones are going to take a beating there and look pretty bad after a season on the road for most people.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Sounds good, something else to save up for.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I jack from the transport tiedown hard points (frame slots) but then you need to set the car on a hard point to put it on jack stands.

Also, most of the time when the tech lifts the car, they lift it from the hard points because its away from the bodywork.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Kappa Jacks

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Kappa cradle does a better job describing the product as it's not a jack. :jm2c:

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Kappa cradle does a better job describing the product as it's not a jack. :jm2c:
True. You are right. But it's used with a jack. I just threw out the first name that came to mind. But, in the grand scheme of things, "it ain't no big deal."

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here are pictures of mine,
I figure I probably work on my car more than the average Kappa owner considering I do all the maintenance, it's quite modded, and has spent a lot of time up on jack stands. And I thought mine were in bad shape. Yours are even more bent up than mine. Does your car spend a lot of time being jacked up and down? The way it looks on yours, it's not from just sitting on jack-stands, but likely from when lowering the car onto the jack-stands . . . essentially a short drop of the car onto the supports..

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine has been on and off lifts in three states for years. When I talked with Dave he said that its not unusual at all to see this kind of deformation

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
You guys that spend more time lifting your cars up and down than driving them ! Most cars never get lifted anywhere near as often, and certainly not in a home garage. I guess GM should have predicted that this car was gonna be played with a lot - as much as driven. Had they thought about it, they may have re-inforced this area.

Anyway - they are needed for the guys that play with it a lot, so how about calling them ......Jackers ? Or something of that nature.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
No the name really doesn't matter but it needs to describe what it's function entails.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what DDM comes up with though as I'd be interested in a set. A service tech at the local dealership that coincidentally is also a Kappa owner damaged mine when he was changing wheelhouse liners on my car.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts