Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the right adhesive to reattach this? Thinking it's not JB Weld, which is the first thing that came to mind.

This popped off when I put the top down today (Beautiful day on the east coast of VA!). And since this came off, I guess it is heat gun and remove the vinyl day too.

Skip
Finger Thumb Money handling Currency Coin

· Registered
658 Posts
JohnWR's suggestion of 3M tape is good. For odd shapes like that, I use 3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive 08061. It's available at most parts stores as well as the usual online suspects. It's a thicker glue rather than tape, and is very effective.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the emblem adhesive 08061, but it didn't stay on. I wonder if it is because it takes a little more abuse from the posts going in and out. Anyway, I guess I will try the 3M tape. Or does anyone have any guaranteed solutions?

· Administrator
12,148 Posts
I used the emblem adhesive 08061, but it didn't stay on. I wonder if it is because it takes a little more abuse from the posts going in and out. Anyway, I guess I will try the 3M tape. Or does anyone have any guaranteed solutions?
Did you prep the surfaces properly? The adhesive should have worked, but will not stick to a surface with wax or other residue.

I have never had the tape fail.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's actually fallen off twice. After the fist one, I noticed that there was no glue residue on the car at all, and assumed the same thing (that maybe the surface was dirty/oily). Unfortunately there aren't any instructions on the glue tube, so I just windexed the area where it needs to go and let it dry. And repeated. It sure looked clean and ready. I removed all the old glue from the "thing" (what is this thing called?), roughed up the surface (of the thing, not the car!), put some fresh glue on it and pressed it firmly in place. After two days of sitting in my driveway, I gave it a gentle but firm pull, and I could hear it pulling away. Pulled a little harder and it was off. Again, no residue at all on the car. All of the glue was on the thing and no glue on the car at all. It's just not bonding. I don't think there's any wax there because that area is under the thing. Clearcoat, sure, but no wax. The only other thing I could think of was to rough up the car surface where it goes, but I am definitely not going to do that.

I have used tape like that in the past, and it seems very permanent. I'll give that a try next.

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts

You have to remove ALL of the old adhesive and make sure to clean both the deck lid and the chrome piece with a liberal amount of alcohol. The trim tape needs to be heated before applying it. Heat is what activates the adhesive on it. You can use a cigarette lighter to do it. I roll some tape off and stick the very end onto something so I can have the sticky side down with the piece being horizontal. Use a lighter under it to heat the piece just to the point where it begins to sizzle. You will have to be careful of how far away you hold the lighter. Too close and you will get soot. too far away and it will take forever to heat. You can optionally use a hair dryer as well.

Once the tape is heated you have exactly one shot to get it positioned properly. DO NOT let the tap touch anything that you do not want it to stick to. Once stuck it's not fun to take off. Once the tape is onto the chrome piece apply a rubbing pressure to it. Then you can take a razor knife and trim the excess off. To peel the red backing off the tape use the point on the razor knife and do a "stick and flip" on a corner of the tape. It takes practice as you only want to stick the point of the knife into the red backing and not the tape.. Once the backing is off you need to heat the tape again. once it is warm you have one shot getting it stuck onto the car in the right position.

To give you an idea how much holding power that tape has when the surface is properly cleaned and the tape has been heated. If you stuck 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF together using that tape the MDF will snap if you try to pull the boards apart.

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
They come new with 3m badge tape cut to fit the back of the bezel. I have had mine off often to paint or just to change color. 3M tape will form into the slot on the back and when trimmed properly will make a perfect fit.

But- you MUST remove all that crap on the trunk lid. Heat, alcohol, gentle polishing with a random orbital machine. Then when you reattach the bezels they will stay until you want to remove them.
(1) Punisher | Page 117 | Pontiac Solstice Forum
(1) Punisher | Page 119 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

· Administrator
12,148 Posts
Clean is certainly the critical component. Also, if a silicone RTV has been tried, it is likely that nothing will work, as sufficient cleaning is nearly impossible.

Some structural tapes are heat cured, but the 3M emblem tape is not one of them.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
3M emblem tape is not one of them.
Now. lets also make sure that the right tape is being used.

This is the wrong tape

3m 03609 or 03614

This is the correct tape

3m 38583 or 38582

These tapes are apart of the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape grouping.

See here.

and I quote right from that document
In some cases, bond strength can be increased and ultimate bond strength can be achieved more quickly by exposure of the bond to elevated temperatures
and now I sit and once again wait for an apology that I will never get

· Administrator
12,148 Posts
Now. lets also make sure that the right tape is being used.

This is the wrong tape

3m 03609 or 03614

This is the correct tape

3m 38583 or 38582

These tapes are apart of the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape grouping.

See here.

and I quote right from that document

and now I sit and once again wait for an apology that I will never get
I will suggest that the 3M statement "In some cases, bond strength can be increased and ultimate bond strength can be achieved more quickly by exposure of the bond to elevated temperatures" is not equivalent to your statement "The trim tape needs to be heated before applying it. Heat is what activates the adhesive on it.".

If those statements are equivalent I do apologize for my misunderstanding.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
Pressure sensitive adhesives are a heat activated adhesive. When something is compressed what happens? it's temperature increases.

You have to try it to understand. It is not a small difference the heat makes it is an exceedingly large one. Just try it and you will understand why i say it "activates" the adhesive because that is exactly what it does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts