Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to adjust my hood on the driver's side at the top where the hood meets the door because it's too close and chips the paint when the hood is opened and closed. I want to move the hood forward on the driver's side about 2mm. I have read the treads on the subject of adjusting the hood and body panels. I have read the attached pdf regarding Solstice body adjustments. The treads indicate the process may be very complicated and possibly dangerous. The pdf is not very clear on exactly/specifically what to do, how to do it and seems too simplistic to me. Someone please detail for me so that by the numbers even I (a mechanical all thumbs dummy) can understand as to the best, simplest and safest way to adjust my hood about 2mm without creating a jigsaw puzzle I may not be able to resolve?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
There is a warning, for the Sky at least, about closing the hood with a door open. I assume that this is not what is happening.....

Where is the hood to door gap too tight, or is it less than 3.5mm along the whole gap? Can you post a picture showing the chips?
Are the surfaces of the hood and door flush with each other?

Also on the driver's side of the car, what is the gap between the hood and the front fascia outboard of the headlight?

Just for reference, what are the hood-to-door and hood-to-fascia gap measurements on the passenger side?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
There is no easy answer to your question unfortunately. Any forward or backward movement of the hood can be done by loosening the hinge bracket at the front slightly and tapping it forward. Problem is that any time you move the hinge brackets on one side, you affect the clearance on the other side. There is really nothing dangerous about making these adjustments, They will just make you crazy. Like john says, we need to know exactly where the hood is hitting the door. moving the hood forward will increase the hood to door gap but strangely enough, adjusting the bumpers in the front (the ones that are mounted on top of two vertical 6MM screws) that change the gap between the hood and the front fascia will also open that hood to door gap. Main thing is to get the hood to door gaps right. Then you can match the fenders and fascia to the hood. A much easier job. I believe I would try that first. Those two bumpers are right beside the headlamp assembly and are easily accessable with the hood up. Try lowering them about one turn and check the hood to door gap.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
This is from page 19 of the instruction and will move the hood forward by moving the stop down.
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you joybill44 and JohnWR for your prompt replies. I purchased the car long distance and this is the way it was upon delivery to my house. I'm trying to fix it up; but, am short on mechanical aptitude. . I have attached pictures. The driver's side has no clearance at the hood/door. The passenger side hood/door clearance is about 6mm. Please pardon the reflections and the dust.
Driver's side hood flush with door a..JPG
Driver's side hood to fascia b.JPG
Passenger side hood to door f.JPG
Passenger side hood to fascia 2 d.JPG
Passenger side hood to fascia c.JPG
Passenger side hood to side panel e.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
This is from page 19 of the instruction and will move the hood forward by moving the stop down.
View attachment 108591
You're right, I just went to out to check and lowering them, not raising them , will increase that hood to door gap.
Thank you joybill44 and JohnWR for your prompt replies. I purchased the car long distance and this is the way it was upon delivery to my house. I'm trying to fix it up; but, am short on mechanical aptitude. . I have attached pictures. The driver's side has no clearance at the hood/door. The passenger side hood/door clearance is about 6mm. Please pardon the reflections and the dust. View attachment 108592 View attachment 108593 View attachment 108594 View attachment 108595 View attachment 108596 View attachment 108597
This is where it gets tricky. You definitely need to start by moving the hood forward by adjusting that bumper pointed out in John's photograph. When you do that, it will probably close up the gap between the hood and the front fascia which you will then need to adjust by lowering the front fascia slightly. Best way to attack this is in little adjustments and observing what other gaps are affected by by the ones you are changing. You will probably end up moving just about every adjustment described to get it all just right. Get the door/hood adjustment first and then just work on the rest a little at a time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right, I just went to out to check and lowering them, not raising them , will increase that hood to door gap.

This is where it gets tricky. You definitely need to start by moving the hood forward by adjusting that bumper pointed out in John's photograph. When you do that, it will probably close up the gap between the hood and the front fascia which you will then need to adjust by lowering the front fascia slightly. Best way to attack this is in little adjustments and observing what other gaps are affected by by the ones you are changing. You will probably end up moving just about every adjustment described to get it all just right. Get the door/hood adjustment first and then just work on the rest a little at a time.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
16,275 Posts
My personal experience with the hood is it can be a challenge to get perfectly aligned at all sides. Norm says to remove the headlights do you can access the hinge fasteners through the headlight ports on the hood. Then pop the lift cylinders off the hood ball joints to remove tension on the hood. Then close the hood, move it to the rear such that the trailing edge is touching the cowl. With the mounts tight enough to allow movement but to also keep the hood from moving freely, align both sides. The gap at the rear should be zero. When you reinstall the lift cylinders, they push the hood forward and open the hood to cowl gap. Then just torque down the mounts and snap the lift cylinders back into position.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it would also help to try to find out why the alignment is off. didn't happen on it's own, and I'm sure it wasn't like that when it was new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts