Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I highly recommend you don't leave it to your dealers to adjust your body panels. They don't really care and often do it as quick as possible. Adjusting body panels is an easy process and taking some time yourself with patience will lead to better results imo.

I adjusted the trunk on my solstice last week. It was getting a little out of wack side to side and the depth was off on one side. It isn't rocket science. The depth adjustment is immediately obvious and easily done. Adjusting the hinges bolts is where the side to side adjustment comes in. In 15 minutes if that I had it perfect. Much improved.

A while ago I took off the body panel where the battery is located. With something like this I recommend using a felt marker to mark the locations of the bolts on the panels to give you guidance when you put it back on. In the end I had a better lineup after than the other side factors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey all, I highly recommend you don't leave it to your dealers to adjust your body panels. They don't really care and often do it as quick as possible. Adjust body panels is an easy process and taking some time with patience yourself will lead to better results imo.

I adjusted the trunk on my solstice last week. It was getting a little out of wack side to side and the depth was off on one side. It isn't rocket science. The depth adjustment is immediately obvious and easily done. Adjusting the hinges bolts is where the side to side adjustment comes in. In 15 minutes if that I had it perfect. Much improved.

A while ago I took off the body panel where the battery is located. With something like this I recommend using a felt marker to mark the locations of the bolts on the panels to give you guidance when you put it back on. In the end I had a better lineup after than the other side factors.
I had the dealer adjust mine before I would take delivery.. and adjust it to my satisfaction.

What I don't understand is how some of them get out of the factory with the body panels so misaligned.,

·
Registered
29 Posts
My out of whack body panels have bothered me since day one, I'm just too lazy to get out there and adjust them.

Why are these panels so jacked up anyway?
There are plenty of Aveo's and Cobalts without fitment problems.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Then why is hand assembled a desirable trait? If it's not up to par with the cheapest vehicles GM makes?
I did not say that handmade was desirable, I said that our body panels are hand fitted. :) Tolerances will be looser when not robotically controlled.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Thanks for your message. I messed up and tried to close my trunk before I removed a book I had laid on the 'shelf' across the inside of the trunk storage area. The result was that I sprung or bent something on the driver's side trunk hinge or mount, and now the lid is lifted slightly above the facia and tail light surfaces. (See attached pics.) I have been afraid to try and fix it my self, and haven't wanted to spend the money yet to have it done at a shop. And, I have a bit of a mistrust issue with putting Mysti in a shop where I do not know the workers.

Based on your experience, do you have any suggestions for me on this problem? Advice gladly accepted from any others on how to realign my deck lid.

Thanks

Attachments

·
5,641 Posts
For those playing our home version of the Solstice Game, here is something that was left out of the box.

Attachments

Reactions: Maritza M

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Thanks Small Dealer.

That is exactly what I have been needing to know.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
For those playing our home version of the Solstice Game, here is something that was left out of the box.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solstice Body adjustments.pdf (1.44 MB, 29 views)
I would consider taking the trunk off the hinges completely so that one can see how the hinges work and sit when down. It may be possible to put the left hinge (the one on that side) down completely by hand and apply some downward pressure to it to get the movement down.
Thanks for the ideas and the information.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey Small Dealer, is there an entire service manual online someplace? I could really use one.

thanks

·
5,641 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Small Dealer:

You are a God-Send. I think you should be Dealer of the Year, your much appreciated!
Frank I

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Anyone else having a problem opening this file?

Edit: Nevermind, was able to get the file using my desktop system.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Small Dealer!!

Have you heard of a Electric supercharger that GM is supposed to introduce at the SEMA show this year? It is suppose to offer 8lbs of boost with your stock battery set up.
And will work on all Ecotec motors. .:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I want to adjust my hood on the driver's side at the top where the hood meets the door because it's too close and chips the paint when the hood is opened and closed. I want to move the hood forward on the driver's side about 2mm. I have read the treads on the subject of adjusting the hood and body panels. I have read the attached pdf regarding Solstice body adjustments. The treads indicate the process is very complicated and possibly dangerous. The pdf is not very clear on exactly/specifically what to do, how to do it and seems too simplistic to me. Can anyone detail for me in plain English that a (mechanical dummy like me) can understand as to the best, simplest and safest way to adjust my hood forward on the driver's side about 2mm without creating a jigsaw puzzle I may not be able to resolve?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Have you determined the issue is not the door?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts