Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased an AEM UEGO wideband with sensor and gauge. While doing the install I was rushed a bit, and decided to go with the second 02 sensor bung on my RCD SOLO exhaust kit. I removed the second (lower) 02 sensor and replaced it with the wideband sensor. I cranked it up and took it to meet with some friends and got a CEL almost asap. I haven't had a chance to check the code, but I'm pretty sure it is because of the 02 being removed. Only thing is, I thought the Trifecta tuned it out???? I believe I saw another plugged bung right above the 02 sensor bung, and if it is for a sensor, I will install it a bit later. My question is, does the Trifecta actually tune out the 2nd 02 sensor? The "wideband" that is built in gets it's readings off of the first (top) 02 sensor correct?? Shed some light plz.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and yes I know it has a built in wideband on the GXP, but I would like to monitor the AFR myself, just never really liked being in the dark about my car and it's condition. Has a trifecta tune 23lbs.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
So I purchased an AEM UEGO wideband with sensor and gauge. While doing the install I was rushed a bit, and decided to go with the second 02 sensor bung on my RCD SOLO exhaust kit. I removed the second (lower) 02 sensor and replaced it with the wideband sensor. I cranked it up and took it to meet with some friends and got a CEL almost asap. I haven't had a chance to check the code, but I'm pretty sure it is because of the 02 being removed. Only thing is, I thought the Trifecta tuned it out???? I believe I saw another plugged bung right above the 02 sensor bung, and if it is for a sensor, I will install it a bit later. My question is, does the Trifecta actually tune out the 2nd 02 sensor? The "wideband" that is built in gets it's readings off of the first (top) 02 sensor correct?? Shed some light plz.
Did you remove the sensor from the car or just leave it plugged in but hanging? I ask because you absolutely want to have the post car O2 sensor installed in the exhaust somewhere. Hopefully Miller will share what happens when you have the secondary O2 sensor exposed to air, but basically it starts altering your air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed it completely......I "thought" it was tuned out because I have the SOLO catless downpipe. Hmmm I guess I'll have to reinstall it and install it elsewhere.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So both the post and pre cat 02 need to be plugged in?? Hmmmm I'm learning. I have an LS1 camaro and the post cat 02 was tuned out after I removed the cat, I guess I was going off of that knowledge. I iz learning lol

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I removed it completely......I "thought" it was tuned out because I have the SOLO catless downpipe. Hmmm I guess I'll have to reinstall it and install it elsewhere.
The code that is usually turned off with a high flow cat is P0420 - catalyst efficiency code. When you get a chance if you get your codes read, it is probably for the heater on bank 1 sensor 2 and not the 420 code.

What we learned with Miller's car on the Bosch controlled 2.0L cars is that the ECM saw that the secondary O2 sensor was reading dead lean (Miller had an air leak at the O2 sensor). After the car was started and left to idle, after some time, the ECM would all of a sudden command a 10:1 air/fuel. Then it would go back to commanding a 14.7:1 air/fuel, then it would command the 10:1 air/fuel again. What appeared to be happening was that the ECM wanted to see if it could get the secondary O2 sensor to change signal with that rich of mixture. It tried this 3 times, then it altered the fueling after it didn't see the secondary O2 sensor react. It was a pain to track down, but we learned something that day ;)

So yes, the secondary O2 sensor should be plugged in and also installed in the exhaust stream on the 2.0L.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts