Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending half my day off yesterday trying to figure out how to get a clip from Rush Hour converted into a gif file from the DVD just to post it in the Lambo doors thread, I noticed something interesting while watching the movie...

American car nuts help me out here I don't know exactly, but this is a 70's something Corvette convertible. I noticed the little shiny sucker as he walked by the car to get in the door, I took a good look and I said "hey, those look like the little silver receptacles for the AFBTS on the Sol!" Sure enough after a little more investigating, I found a better shot. Here you can clearly see that these are AFBTS receptacles.

GM has done this before so it's pretty safe to say they know what they're doing. Also, a search for AFBTS led me to this this thread in which it is discussed that a new BMW will feature buttresses as well as a mention that Ferrari has had them for years.

So those who are worried/confused/upset/skeptical can rest easy, GM has it under control. ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
For the alphabet challenged(myself included) just what the heck does AFBTS stand for? :confused: :cool:
O.K. did some checking all clear now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
dori-san said:
After spending half my day off yesterday trying to figure out how to get a clip from Rush Hour converted into a gif file from the DVD just to post it in the Lambo doors thread, I noticed something interesting while watching the movie...

American car nuts help me out here I don't know exactly, but this is a 70's something Corvette convertible. I noticed the little shiny sucker as he walked by the car to get in the door, I took a good look and I said "hey, those look like the little silver receptacles for the AFBTS on the Sol!" Sure enough after a little more investigating, I found a better shot. Here you can clearly see that these are AFBTS receptacles.

GM has done this before so it's pretty safe to say they know what they're doing. Also, a search for AFBTS led me to this this thread in which it is discussed that a new BMW will feature buttresses as well as a mention that Ferrari has had them for years.

So those who are worried/confused/upset/skeptical can rest easy, GM has it under control. ;)
I think your right on Dori-San,
they must be for the AFBTS.

If I remember right, the vette is a '68 (chrome bumpers front and rear).

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Technically, they aren't really AFBTS on the Corvette, but the back of convertible roof does anchor to the deck lid, in the same manner as the Sol's AFBTS.

Here is a link for a 1974 Corvette, which is for sale. Corvette for Sale
{Disclaimer, I am not the party selling this vehicle, nor am I posting this link to try and sell this car. This ad simply had the best images of the car that I could find.}

You can see the car with both the roof up and the roof down, exposing the anchor points. You can also see how the roof stows completely under the rear deck, very much like GM has done with the Solstice. Wish my Sol would have that much room in the trunk!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ok, so it's not technically AFBTS... but it's the same concept.

I just wanted to assure everyone that the latch/receptacle/decklid thing has been done before and those worried about it coming loose and banging around or the top flapping and wearing at the paint can relax because GM knows what they're doing. :thumbs:

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was at a local car show this weekend and also noticed a 'vette (or two) with the same anchor points (though if memory serves, they were older, like early or mid '60s vettes).

The first thing I thought was - 'hey, just like the Solstice'. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
dori-san said:
or the top flapping and wearing at the paint
GM took care of that concern by using a large area of a clear vinyl around the area where the AFBTS contact the rear deck.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
AFBTS was not only a GM exclusive. The Stingrays of 68-74 appr vintage did display the AFBTS at trailing edge of roof, but fromm what I've seen, only in coupe version (see attached). Ferrari took a cue and displayed similar on Dino Spydermodel. Porsche 904 also in this group. Remember that the true AFBTS is non functional other than for looks as a flush mounted window negates the AFBTS. The rear window must be recessed to be true AFBTS, IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's either a '68 or a '69, chrome bumpers fore and aft. No chrome in rear on '70 or '71. '72-'75 are plastic fore and aft. No convertible until '86 after that.

Tony

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LBJay said:
GM took care of that concern by using a large area of a clear vinyl around the area where the AFBTS contact the rear deck.
I'm aware of the vinyl.

This is why I was saying that people shouldn't worry cause GM knows what they're doing (ie: using the vinyl).

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dori-san said:
I'm aware of the vinyl.

This is why I was saying that people shouldn't worry cause GM knows what they're doing (ie: using the vinyl).
Vinyl sounds so "sanitary" of course to us old rockers "vinyl" means a circular grooved disc usually 11-12 inches in diameter and less than 3/16" thick with grooves "cut" into both sides in decreasing diameter circles on which can be stored the memories of our youth. I long for the return of (brandname) Naugahyde, instead of vinyl. Wouldn't you pay a little extra for a Naugahyde interior on a car as compared to vinyl? :lol: I recall a cute marketing spiel with lifelike stuffed Naugas that supposedly produced the hide. But then sometime back in the '70s, obviously after a bad trip, some dogooder got the Nauga listed as an endangered species and commercial harvesting of Naugas in the wild came to an abruupt halt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
kiljoy said:
That's either a '68 or a '69, chrome bumpers fore and aft. No chrome in rear on '70 or '71. '72-'75 are plastic fore and aft. No convertible until '86 after that.

Tony
Sorry Tony, you are a little off on the Corvette bumper years. Chrome bumpers were on front and rear through '72. In '73 it was still a chrome rear bumper and a urethane front bumper. 1974 was the first year of urethane front and rear (although the rear was a two piece design for one year...'75 went to a one piece).

Also a '68 would be easy to point out because it was the only year that had push buttons below the spring handle to open the doors. From '69 on the spring loaded handles actually released the door (the '68s were basically just "pulls").

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
59 Posts
C5Vette said:
Sorry Tony, you are a little off on the Corvette bumper years. Chrome bumpers were on front and rear through '72. In '73 it was still a chrome rear bumper and a urethane front bumper. 1974 was the first year of urethane front and rear (although the rear was a two piece design for one year...'75 went to a one piece).

Also a '68 would be easy to point out because it was the only year that had push buttons below the spring handle to open the doors. From '69 on the spring loaded handles actually released the door (the '68s were basically just "pulls").

Hope this helps...
Hrm... I think my Motor Trend from the eighties has it wrong then. My bad. It had listed '72-'77 as having all plastic. Didn't even have seperate drawings of '68-'69 and '70-'71, though I knew the grilles changed. A guy down the street from me growing up had a '68 convertible (with a plate reading "ITS A 68"), so I know those pretty well.

Sorry for the hijack, but I'd like to get my facts straight. So the '71 and '72 looked identical? And the '73 still had a chrome bumper in the rear? I'll put that in memory for future reference.

Thanks for the correction and the reminder NOT to trust Motor Trend (although that last one should have been obvious).

Tony

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Actually 70 - 72 were pretty much the same execpt for minor things like the plastic cover on the turn signals, on my 70 convertible I believe they were clear plastic and on the 71 or 72 they were amber.
Another bit of Corvette trivia to tell the diference between my 1974 coupe and a 1975 coupe you had to look at the rear plastic cover bumper, on my 1974 it had a split down the middle while on the 1975 it was all one piece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts