Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fleet manager and one of the salesmen at the dealership in west Texas where I have my Solstice on order returned Wednesday from a Drive-and-Ride in Houston on Monday-Tuesday. They both said that they were told of an aftermarket chip that would allow the Solstice to attain 200+ hp WITHOUT a super-/turbo-charger. Anyone else heard such tales?

At 46, I'm too old to drive very fast :lol:, but I still want to know. :yesnod:

--Chemist

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sweet news! I think we concluded it'd only give around 5-8HP tops without a turbo/super.

That'd be the best mod, everyone could do it themselves.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Chemist said:
They both said that they were told of an aftermarket chip that would allow the Solstice to attain 200+ hp WITHOUT a super-/turbo-charger. Anyone else heard such tales?
I bet it's available on Ebay now even ..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I can't see why 200 (or like 197) wouldn't be attainable with just a chip mod...

...it's a 2.4 litre with a HIGH compression ratio. I mean, the engine begs for just a little more.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Danno said:
What does the chip do?
They generally change engine timings and airflow charactaristics and fuel amounts and just do general tweaks to how your engine recieves the stuff it needs to run.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Sounds extremely far fetched. If this was true all the Cobalt SS 2.4L guys would be all over this type of stuff by now. ECU tuning can help gain extra power, but I'm betting to get over 200HP though you're going to need to start altering other parts too. Intake, exhaust, headers, fuel injectors, cams, etc. Unless this engine is EXTREMELY under performing I believe when I see it in person.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
birdliver said:
I know what your sayin here but is anything like it (20-25 horse kick) do-able for real without any negative payback?
On today's Naturally Aspirated 4cly engines, no ....

With an ECU that can be flashed to modify timing and fueling it's "possible" to pick up a few HP, BUT most times it comes by leaning out the fuel mixture at high RPMs. This increases exhaust gas temps which can drastically shorted the Cat life.

Most engines are set to run rich at WOT to keep the Cat temps down. The Cats have to last 120K miles now I believe.

Most "Sport" engines are in a fairly high state of tune directly from the factory anymore. The only way to get any real HP increase is to get more air/fuel into the engine. That requires force, as in a turbo or supercharger.

·
Registered
133 Posts
20 HP with just a chip on a 4 Cyl 2.4L. I'd bet my house on that being bogus in the extreme. Pre OBD-II chip tuning on 2.5L BMW straight six yeilded 15 HP. Post OBD-II it dropped to 12 HP. No effing way you're gonna get 20 HP out of the Ecotec with just chip tuning. In fact, I'd be mighty surprised if you netted 20 HP with intake, chip and cat-back exhaust mods all together.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the input/feedback on this issue. I took the info from the Fleet Manager with a grain of salt. I was almost sure they had missed SOMETHING in the conversation.

Thanks to all.

--Chemist

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ecu/pcm

Be careful. We use a software program from a local company to tune our GTOs and we find up to 45HP on stock LS1 and LS2 engines from tuning.

Additionally, GM will not release Definition files to the computers in the Solstice. We are working with our local company that has experience writing programs for GM computers and we will be providing our car as needed subsequent to SEMA for R&D. Based on our experience, it will take a minimum of 6 months before we see anything.

Jim

B

·
0 Posts
Chemist said:
The fleet manager and one of the salesmen at the dealership in west Texas where I have my Solstice on order returned Wednesday from a Drive-and-Ride in Houston on Monday-Tuesday. They both said that they were told of an aftermarket chip that would allow the Solstice to attain 200+ hp WITHOUT a super-/turbo-charger. Anyone else heard such tales?

At 46, I'm too old to drive very fast :lol:, but I still want to know. :yesnod:

--Chemist
If that is true, I am definitely getting one. I had a Diablo Predator chip in my F150. Chips are awesome for performance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Every 21 yr olds dream 200hp in a 2800lb car... :lol: just need the car first

·
Registered
106 Posts
gravana1 said:
Be careful. We use a software program from a local company to tune our GTOs and we find up to 45HP on stock LS1 and LS2 engines from tuning.

Additionally, GM will not release Definition files to the computers in the Solstice. We are working with our local company that has experience writing programs for GM computers and we will be providing our car as needed subsequent to SEMA for R&D. Based on our experience, it will take a minimum of 6 months before we see anything.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I know I'll be keeping my eye out for your results... :willy:

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gravana1 said:

Jim
Wow, that's quite impressive. If you can find us 25+ hp with tuning, you will have LOTS of business, I would bet! :yesnod:

Thanks for your support of our chosen obsession! :lol:

--Chemist

·
Registered
182 Posts
Chemist said:
Wow, that's quite impressive. If you can find us 25+ hp with tuning, you will have LOTS of business, I would bet! :yesnod:

Thanks for your support of our chosen obsession! :lol:

--Chemist
25HP from computer tuning is a tall order... I will keep my fingers crossed!

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah BUT thats a 400HP GTO...

gravana1 said:
Be careful. We use a software program from a local company to tune our GTOs and we find up to 45HP on stock LS1 and LS2 engines from tuning. Jim
Given that fact, I'd be more inclined to go with the previous post by Breeze, 20hp is a stretch even with catback exhaust, intake and reflashed or custom tuned ECU. You'll also need dyno time to get this dialed in. More likely these three compenents would net you out 10-15hp tops. it may also need hiflow cats as part of the process. Significant investment for 10-15hp. Turbo would be far more cost effective and the results could be very impressive!

TJ

1 - 20 of 55 Posts