Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope those making aftermarket accessories will read this. Here are the main items I want for my Solstice right now. Price is not a problem as long as it is reasonable.

1. Rear windshild, or whatever it is called, to prevent top down back draft. Really like the design I saw on the forum that was photochopped. Must be easily removed and installed as well as storable in the rear when top is up.

2. Chrome luggage rack for rear deck that is easibly removed when not in use. Something like this...Four fairly small round chrome fittings that mount through the rear decklid and are threaded in the centers for bolts that run through mounting tangs, etc, on the rack for snug installation of the rack.

3. Nicer looking mud flaps for the wheel wells instead of the GM items. Those on my Hyundai Tiburon are very nice and look really good.

4. A chrome shifting gate that is attractive and easily mountable.

5. A relatively lightweight trailer hitch for a motorcycle trailer with a lighting harness. This does not have to be anything massive. Something like those used on motorcycles modified to fit on a Solstice would be great. Since tongue and towing weight are light it does not need to be massive.

6. A nice looking cluster of mini gages and the associated hardware and wiring for oil pressure, engine coolent temperature and an amp meter. I can see some places the cluster could be mounted but the designer/manufacturer would be best qualified to determind the mounting position.

Those are the main things I can think of right now. Sure many of you have other ideas. Please post them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Chuck said:
Hope those making aftermarket accessories will read this. Here are the main items I want for my Solstice right now. Price is not a problem as long as it is reasonable.

1. Rear windshild, or whatever it is called, to prevent top down back draft. Really like the design I saw on the forum that was photochopped. Must be easily removed and installed as well as storable in the rear when top is up.
This is something I might be able to manufacture. Price would really depend on whether or not you absolutelty had to have glass instead of something like polycarbonate. Please post/link the photochop so I can know exactly what you're hoping for.

3. Nicer looking mud flaps for the wheel wells instead of the GM items. Those on my Hyundai Tiburon are very nice and look really good.
Again, something I might able to do. Please post a photo of your Hyundai flaps so I know what it is that you think looks so good.

6. A nice looking cluster of mini gages and the associated hardware and wiring for oil pressure, engine coolent temperature and an amp meter. I can see some places the cluster could be mounted but the designer/manufacturer would be best qualified to determind the mounting position.
A mount for gauge clusters is possible. I was already planning on doing an A-Pillar gauge mount, but if you have other ideas of where you'd like to have gauges, again please post images.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Chuck said:
Dumbest idea ever. With the top down the sun will be all over that thing and blinding you.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
dori-san said:
Dumbest idea ever. With the top down the sun will be all over that thing and blinding you.
?? :willy: Give me a break. It's a great Idea. How often do you look down at the shift gate anyway?? It's not like the chrome accented gauges that are right in front of you blind you at all.

Besides, if it's that sunny you will probably be wearing :cool: anyway!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If it's that sunny you probably have the roof up. :lol:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
The MR2 has a chrome shifter on the sequential cars and people seem to like them. :thumbs:

·
Registered
705 Posts
dori-san said:
Dumbest idea ever.
A little hard on the new guy...seen chrome shift gates on everything from cheap Fords to Ferrari's, seems OK to me.

Hey SlipSlider, you want to talk about chrome on the dash you ain't seen nothing 'til you've driven a '63 T-bird convertible! Don't seem to remember being blinded by the sun but that's probably due to loving the car and ignoring it's faults! Then again it would explain the image of a giant steering wheel permanently burned into my retina's!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dori-san I agree.

dori-san said:
:agree: I totally agree with you dori-san; however, having driven, raced and rally'ed sport cars since the mid 50's and motorcycles since the late 40's and have over 40 years flying the USAF's finest ad well as many years flying experimental aircraft I have finally, with great difficulty, learned it is best to look where you are going instead of looking down. :D Oh yeah...In case you are wondering...I'm 73. :cheers:

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Chuck said:

2. Chrome luggage rack for rear deck that is easibly removed when not in use. Something like this...Four fairly small round chrome fittings that mount through the rear decklid and are threaded in the centers for bolts that run through mounting tangs, etc, on the rack for snug installation of the rack.

5. A relatively lightweight trailer hitch for a motorcycle trailer with a lighting harness. This does not have to be anything massive. Something like those used on motorcycles modified to fit on a Solstice would be great. Since tongue and towing weight are light it does not need to be massive.

Those are the main things I can think of right now. Sure many of you have other ideas. Please post them.
Chuck,

I'm with you on 1-3 and 5. I'll hold out on #4 until I actually drive a Solstice! #6 might be nice as well.
Mice topic.

--Chemist

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...you obviously aren't a convert driver, eh?

Fortyninenorth said:
If it's that sunny you probably have the roof up. :lol:
A sunny day is what we convertible drivers live for, buddy. My Sol (picked up yesterday in the rain) is my 3rd ragtop. Two rules for convert cars in So Calif: If it's sunny the top goes down; and you must drive it to the beach at least quarterly! I think they are actually state laws (or laws of nature).
:cool:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...plenty of room

SkyCaptain said:
A mount for gauge clusters is possible. I was already planning on doing an A-Pillar gauge mount, but if you have other ideas of where you'd like to have gauges, again please post images.
That dash has space all over it. Why can't holes be cut into all that blank space and gauges mounted in kind of a semi-circle pattern to the upper right of the main cluster? Small round gauges, of course.
:cool:
OK, on second look it doesn't have the huge space I was thinking. But some mini gauges could be worked into the dash panel nicely, if done right. Perhaps that annoying passenger air bag alert could be repositioned...like under the dash. lol

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Chuck said:

I agree with 2,4,5,6. Especially #5 and #2. It needs to have something so that you can store belongings. I would get me a Solstice Trailer(another item that needs to be fabricated)

I personally think that the buffeting of the car is very manageable. So does my wife who rode with her hair down. So I would not want a wind screen personally. You can order a wind screen now through GM Parts.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain...You have an important PM. Please respond as asked.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
SkyCaptain:
here is the picture of the windscreen from LBJAY:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
SlipSlider said:
It's not like the chrome accented gauges that are right in front of you blind you at all.
Actually there have been comments by mag reviewers that it does.

Chuck said:
it is best to look where you are going instead of looking down.
I never said you'd be looking down at it.

You could be driving like normal and the thing not bother you, and then as you hug into a curve the sun comes into position just right to flicker a little glint into your eye and blind you then you lose control of your car and go spinning off the curve that you were once turning on. Just hope that it's not off a cliff side of a mountain.

I was ACTUALLY thinking it might not be TOO bad, depending on how much surface area of the chrome gate there would be. Also I thought that maybe a painted silver gate to match the windshield or perhaps body color, to coordinate with the waterfall and further integrate the seamless/topless look of the car.

·
2,574 Posts
I've mentioned this before and no one comments. Glare has beem mentioned as an issue by many of the drivers who have worked with this car for 2 1/2 years. I heard all about this at a Ride & Drive in August. They made a point of telling me that the light color dash of the two tone steel and sand interior reflects glare terribly. They strongly recommended the ebony interior. Also the chrome trim around the instruments is problematic. The bezel trim was also mentioned by a decent reviewer. Also, there was discussion that this shift stick moves considerably and might not lend itself to a gate attachment, but I don't know any more about that. ;)

·
2,574 Posts
LatinVenom said:
SkyCaptain:
here is the picture of the windscreen from LBJAY:
If it works as good as it looks and doesn't cost too much it will be great. However it's my understanding that it's strictly a computer graphic and doesn't exist yet so has not been tested for effectiveness. Probably will work, but test would tell how well. (I'm sure that lbjay will provide guidance :lol: )

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Chuck said: "5. A relatively lightweight trailer hitch for a motorcycle trailer with a lighting harness."

Yea, I want one too, so my Solstice can pull a trailer with my Hummer on it! :)

No, I wouldn't have a Hummer!

But I would like a trailer to put my Solstice on to pull behind my motor home. That's if I ever get a motor home.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts