Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im a huge fan of the minimalist interior, but even my S2000 has some extra gauges in it...

I was considering the pillar, but i might go all out and maybe replace one of the Round Air ducts with a gauge too...

has anyone thought about adding gauges...specifially what i was going to add was an Engine temp guage, and an oil pressure or voltmeter(for my system.)

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WaitingForBoost said:
I waiting for the GXP, and hoping that it has more gauges, standard. If it doesn't, I'll add some, but pillar-mounted gauges don't do it for me. OTOH, there may not be many other places in the small interior of the Solstice.
thats what i was thinking, see in my S2k, i have them custom mounted on the radio door, and they are all digital, they look sweet. and im gonna probably wait for the GXP too, so i will get a boost if it doesnt come with one standard, but ya, im not the biggest fan of pillar mounts, thats whey i thought about popping one in one of the AC ducts above the radio.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stang said:
How about put the gauges where the AC controls are. Do we need three separate knobs to control the AC? Just an idea.
well its alot easier to just cut off a duct and put a gauge in there, then redo the whole control system for the HVAC

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have friends that put all their extra guages in an LCD screen. It flips out when they need them, and keeps the car's interior looking good when they don't need them.

One of them uses a Mini-ITX computer to read from the OBDII. It has Oil temp and presure, Tach (more accurate then the 300+/- tach that GM offers), fuel mixture, throtal position, battery power, and all the OBD messages.

The other has his own sensors plugged into a PLC. The PLC is better in my opinion since it's smaller and seems it would be more stable then running off of Windows XP Embedded. But that's just my opinion.

If you're a minimalist, you might want to look into something like this.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Skyolstice said:
well its alot easier to just cut off a duct and put a gauge in there, then redo the whole control system for the HVAC
i'd rather not do either. i like my HVAC the way it is. i also dont want a-pillar guages. kinda tacky in my opinion (but just my opinion, dont slay me for this) and i prefer the sleeper look anyways. digital guages dont sound like too bad an idea, because you could almost put them anywhere, i guess. just a little dash cutting is all. i kinda like how they have it set up in the new viper. viper dash

·
Registered
109 Posts
swatthefly said:
i'd rather not do either. i like my HVAC the way it is. i also dont want a-pillar guages. kinda tacky in my opinion (but just my opinion, dont slay me for this) and i prefer the sleeper look anyways. digital guages dont sound like too bad an idea, because you could almost put them anywhere, i guess. just a little dash cutting is all. i kinda like how they have it set up in the new viper. viper dash
Read my previous post. You can use a flip out LCD screen.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i LOVE the viper dash, the problem is, those are molded in there, it would be hard to do that **** in a SOL. but we will see i just wondered what you guys thought.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya ive been checking out some pics...and my gauges are going to either go, on the a-pillar with one in the air vent...or on top of the AC controls in a custom 3 pod enclosure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Magnezium said:
I have friends that put all their extra guages in an LCD screen. It flips out when they need them, and keeps the car's interior looking good when they don't need them.

One of them uses a Mini-ITX computer to read from the OBDII. It has Oil temp and presure, Tach (more accurate then the 300+/- tach that GM offers), fuel mixture, throttle position, battery power, and all the OBD messages.

The other has his own sensors plugged into a PLC. The PLC is better in my opinion since it's smaller and seems it would be more stable then running off of Windows XP Embedded. But that's just my opinion.

If you're a minimalist, you might want to look into something like this.

A couple of questions:
1. How legible would this be in bright sunlight in a convertible?
2. How fast will it refresh the values?
3. How far do you have to move your eyes to read it?
4. How large are the numbers?

It sounds great for diagnostics & tuning, but I'm not sure it's something I'd want for spirited driving.

I don't really want to go messing with my HVAC, either.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stang said:
Another idea (Not Buck Rodgers :) ). Install a standard sized radio and place the gauges below it. You would need a custom faceplate to clean up the look, but it seems like it could be done.
now that does look pimp, thats kinda what it looks like in my S2k, you can view those gauges here:

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/gaugeset.php

thier pimp, but i like your rendering, maybe some autometer silver prolite's in there...good work man ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Skyolstice said:
now that does look pimp, thats kinda what it looks like in my S2k, you can view those gauges here:

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/gaugeset.php

thier pimp, but i like your rendering, maybe some autometer silver prolite's in there...good work man ;)
Man, those look really tight. I would love a setup like that on my Solstice.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Thanks for the complement Skyolstice!

Here is another mockup. In this one I tried to fix the AC controls to look more like the final production version. It makes the Gauges stand out better too.

Update: Also note that the newer cars have a dash matching plate around the radio controls (2nd pic). This makes the dash look a LOT better. Plus, it would make the gauges look like they came standard with the car and better separate them from the radio box.

Udate II: I have added a third pic that really lets you see how well the gauges would fit in. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brentil said:
Man, those look really tight. I would love a setup like that on my Solstice.
Thanks alot, the only problem is $$$.

They were 900 when i got em. now thier 1200, but they are awesome, and they would match our red interior...however, i am going with analog this time, the only reason i went digital is because my S2000 had digital gauges in it.

And Stang, those other pics look AWESOME MAN, i am seriosly going to do that, without a doubt now, thats where my gauges will end up...if i dont put a double din navi system in that is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
A couple of questions:
1. How legible would this be in bright sunlight in a convertible?
2. How fast will it refresh the values?
3. How far do you have to move your eyes to read it?
4. How large are the numbers?

It sounds great for diagnostics & tuning, but I'm not sure it's something I'd want for spirited driving.

I don't really want to go messing with my HVAC, either.
1. Very. Depeding on your screen, it can work out very nicely. Also, depends on your tilt. In a coupe, there's no need, but in a convertable, you have the choice of tilting the screen about 5-10 degrees downward, (you'll see just fine) or placing the screen in the dash.

2. Depends on your hardware. Currently, OBDII updates 32 times a second. More then enough to do 24 FPS (movie speed). But if you're "car-puter" isn't fast enough... No point. A 800MHz system is more then enough. Serial port, OBDII scanner, Monitor, and you're done for hardware.

3. Depends on where you put it. My friends put it above their radio.

4. Depends on how you scale it. You need to write the gui yourself. However, on the forums for www.MP3Car.com, there is a software development section and there are about 10 people on that forum working on this solution to be avail to everyone. Pre-programmed, skinable software that is for the most part "plug-n-play". From there, it's just a matter of getting that hardware I mentioned.

As for "Spirited Driving", I don't know. Everyone has their opinions. And IMO, it's pretty neat. I'm an network engineer, so gagits are cool to me. But in everyday driving, do you really want to look at all those guages?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.