Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 07 GXP with monsoon and installed an double din dvd player using the GMOS-LAN-04 cable and everything worked fine.

The car was totaled so I took out the radio and lan cable.

Purchased 08 GXP with onstar and without monsoon and attempted to install radio. I cannot get any volume. Radio goes to 50 and nothing audible until about 38 and at 50 its very weak but distorted.

I tried to turn the potentiometer on lan box to increase volume but it is at max already, all i can do is decrease volume more.

Do I need the Lan 03 for non monsoon? I was under the impression that both would work in non monsoon application.

Second question-
now that I have onstar I have a mic. Is the headphone jack in the car ok for use as the mic input so I dont have to use the supplied mic?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
The GMOS-LAN-04 is (as I understand it) designed to be inserted in front of an amplifier. It would therefore be adjusting the radio outputs to line level (low) signals that drive the amplifier. Without an external amp, you would now be trying to drive the speakers directly with low level signals - hence no volume.

Either remove the GMOS wires from between the radio and speakers (if that's possible) or add an aftermarket amp.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yes, what you have there in a pre-amp line adapter as an amp needs low level input into the RCA jacks. either get an amp or bypass that adapter and it will work.

hmm, went back and read all of TS post and I'm saying the same thing. oh well, can't hurt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, are your saying I should keep the adapter in place but run speaker wires around it rather than through it? That entails cutting the factory wires or tapping into them. Probably should just get the proper adapter I guess. I can sell the one I have to recoup most of cost of new one I think.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Sorry, I didn't look up your adapter but if the adapter is considered to be a low level line input then you cannot hook that up directly to your speakers. what double din radio do you have? it should have RCA outs and speaker outs. If all you have is RCA outs then you must install an amp. If you have a stock radio with no RCA outs but your adapter is made for low level input then I'd just go get a standard after market wiring harness. Fry's is good for that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New radio has internal amp as well as 2 sets of preouts. No intention of adding an amp. The adapter currently retains factory chimes and OnStar but does not power speakers sufficiently.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to close the loop on this one. I thing TS was right as far as the line level output of the 04 cable. I installed a GMOS-LAN-03 cable and all works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts