1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In my experience you need to buy the xm adapter for your specific head unit. You may be able to use the factory antennae with an adapter, but you will need the Kenwood unit to interface with the head unit.

The GMOS-LAN-03 cable will retain onstar, factory chimes, retained power and provide a VSS signal wire to help hook up the kenwood radio.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Just purchased a new kenwood deck that is xm ready. Question is do I need the module to my unit to have xm working. Or do I use the interface I orderd thru crutchfield and it will work with my existing xm module in the trunk?
Metra GMOS-LAN-03 GM Factory Integration Adapter Lets you install a new stereo in select 2006-up GM vehicles while retaining OnStar and factory warning chimes at Crutchfield.com

Or do I need this?

SiriusXM SXV200V1 Tuner Enjoy SiriusXM satellite radio reception with your compatible in-dash receiver at Crutchfield.com
I would speak to Crutchfields Tech Support. I think you will actually need both. As previously stated, the GMOS -LAN-03 is required for On-Star and chimes. The other module takes place of the factory XM module. If you want steering wheel controls, that's another module entirely. I would also say, if you have never done anything like lis, and are not familiar with wiring, you might want to get help. You will need to do a lot of wire connections(soldering) with unclear directions. In the last few months I've done a jeep and trailblazer and it can be overwhelming if you are not familiar. I would also recommend soldering with shrink tube and not using those cheap connectors. Good luck whichever way you choose.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I would speak to Crutchfields Tech Support. I think you will actually need both. As previously stated, the GMOS -LAN-03 is required for On-Star and chimes. The other module takes place of the factory XM module. If you want steering wheel controls, that's another module entirely. I would also say, if you have never done anything like lis, and are not familiar with wiring, you might want to get help. You will need to do a lot of wire connections(soldering) with unclear directions. In the last few months I've done a jeep and trailblazer and it can be overwhelming if you are not familiar. I would also recommend soldering with shrink tube and not using those cheap connectors. Good luck whichever way you choose.
Certainly solder all the wires and I agree with PubliusE in saying that you'd do well to work with Crutchfield. When I installed my Kenwood unit a few years ago and had troubles with the steering wheel controls, tech support basically told me to get rid of the crimped connections, solder the wires and call them back.
Turned out in the end the interface module was bad but I spent 2 days trying to make the old one work. Solder the wires and you'll save yourself a lot of grief down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After market head unit with existing XM tuner & antenna

First post and I am sorry if this has already been asked and answered. I could not find exactly what I needed to know, so I am asking for myself. I just purchased a really nice 2007 Solstice GXP with the Monsoon sound system and Onstar. I want to change the stereo head unit but when I asked Crutchfield about using the existing XM tuner and antenna, they said it was proprietary equipment and would not work with the new head unit (Kenwood Excelon DPX791BH). I am having a hard time buying into that and was curious if any of you have been able to connect and use the existing components with an aftermarket head unit.

Cheers,
Russ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts