Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of installing an Alpine deck, and I'm wondering where others have placed the new mic. As I see it I have two main choices: above the rear view mirror or in the gauge cluster. Anywhere else? Pros/cons?

I've tried looking around in stereo install threads, but couldn't find anything specifically addressing this.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'm in the middle of installing an Alpine deck, and I'm wondering where others have placed the new mic. As I see it I have two main choices: above the rear view mirror or in the gauge cluster. Anywhere else? Pros/cons?

I've tried looking around in stereo install threads, but couldn't find anything specifically addressing this.

Thanks
Here's where mine is. Seems like a good place, out of line of sight and away from wind buffetting. Coupes may be different air flow, but probably not much.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I don't have a picture of it but mine sits in the triangle between the two round guage bezels where the warning lights are.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I had an aftermarket bluetooth kit for a while... I tried the mic in different places to test for least noise and found that the best place seemed to be close to where the factory put the mic (top of the driver's A-pillar). Whouda thunk?

Certainly better than around the mirror. Dunno why though.

Again, this was a 'vert, so YMMV.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a picture of it but mine sits in the triangle between the two round guage bezels where the warning lights are.
This is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure just how many warning lights it would block...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
This is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure just how many warning lights it would block...
The warning lights are bright enough that if one were to come on, you can see the glow. seeing around the mic to see what light is on is no problem. Also as a note, no one I've talked to with it has ever said they can't hear me good with the top down. Mine sits right where jekl's is pictured but sits in a bigger holder piece so it takes up a bit more room.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Dumb question, but is it possible to tap in to the stock existing microphone in the left pillar?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I drilled a hole right above the OEM onstar mic with the aftermarket mic face flush to the a-pillar. I don't have a picture, but it looks like stock. Only problem is that i need to install a disconnect since the connection is at the back of the radio. As it is now I have to flip the a-pillar over onto the windshield if I have to remove the a-pillar.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Dumb question, but is it possible to tap in to the stock existing microphone in the left pillar?
It's possible, yes, but the mic would have to be compatible with your aftermarket system. The wiring runs down the a-pillar and then all the way back to the VCIM behind the waterfall (not to the radio area).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts