Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post. I read other people’s posts on putting in a aftermarket stereo that works with our steering wheel controls and keeps the chimes but I am so confused on what to get to make that happen. Can someone please post the exact wire harness and everything I will need to keep the steering wheel controls and chimes? Even a link to the items I need to get would be a big help to me. Thank you!
Happy to be with a great group of Solstice lovers! I went from my 1986 Fiero SE 4-Speed Manual V6 2.8l 41,000Miles to my 2007 Solstice GXP Mean Yellow 5-Speed Manual I got earlier this month. Still have the Fiero of course but I might sell it.... I attached pictures. Anyways looking forward to being part of a great group!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I recently went to the Crutchfield website, looked around and finally hooked up with one of their sales associates for an online chat.

I had to know about my audio system: monsoon, bluetooth, etc in order to pick out correct system for car. Got info from accessory codes on glove box door.

Anyways, we agreed on what I wanted and I ordered a radio with GPS and a backup camera along with some more features. Wires, adaptors, to retain steering controls, factory chimes, etc also included.

Delivery expected in a few days but probably will not instal yet as I am on 1st week of knee replacement recovery.

I will post pictures, if you would like.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Crutchfield is the way to go for me as it was literally plug-n-play. In my case I went with a single DIN as I wanted space for some track day extras, but steering wheel controls, chimes, RAP delay, Bluetooth, monsoon etc. all work the same as stock unit. I did not add the digital receiver, but they do have it available.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello, this is my first post. I read other people’s posts on putting in a aftermarket stereo that works with our steering wheel controls and keeps the chimes but I am so confused on what to get to make that happen. Can someone please post the exact wire harness and everything I will need to keep the steering wheel controls and chimes? Even a link to the items I need to get would be a big help to me. Thank you!
Happy to be with a great group of Solstice lovers! I went from my 1986 Fiero SE 4-Speed Manual V6 2.8l 41,000Miles to my 2007 Solstice GXP Mean Yellow 5-Speed Manual I got earlier this month. Still have the Fiero of course but I might sell it.... I attached pictures. Anyways looking forward to being part of a great group!
Welcome to the Forum, I just replaced my headunit last week, if you order from Crutchfield they will tell you which adapters you will need,(see pic) however I had no luck with getting my steering wheel controls to work- everything else works great, chimes, etc but not the steering wheel controls, my best thought at this time is that it has something to do with the resistance in the wiring as I tried programming it numerous times but to no avail. If I ever take it apart again I may call the support line.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also replaced my headunit last week with all parts purchased from Crutchfield. They offer a custom harness that made it plug and play for me. I did have to put in a new XM tuner but again, plug and play. No soldering, just plug it all in. I replaced a Monsoon system and the steering wheel connections for fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the quick replies. Beautiful pictures of your guys step up! I just love that large screen right in the middle on the console. I will go right to Cruchfield like everyone recommend and chat with them. Thank you all again.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Wow, neat to see and hear that it's not too bad to get a more updated system.

Was debating to stay original but like the Crutchfield option! Looks good!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was going to put one of my extra smart tv's in the back seat yesterday when I tried ..I couldent find the back seat....dam the luck. it's been long time since Ive bought from crutch field( possiably 30 + years) they always had awesome service. now days I get the cheep stuff they seem to last as long or longer than the name brands do...( well for all home electronic stuff any way, with the exception of big led tv's, vizio seems to work and last, my mom replaces her dead sony stuff every 3 years ...or less. someday ill get around to putting the head unit in my solstice...too hot and too much other stuff to even open the hood on a car. I need a break..and...winning lottery tickets...and a turbo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ironic... I have an '87 5-speed GT and considering moving to the 21st century, currently looking for a GXP myself... also my first post 0:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you really have an 87 Fiero? That’s great! Post some pictures man! I’d love to see her.

Yes, I am really loving my GXP! Just got her in March and It’s my daily driver. I just love it. I thought my yellow color was going to be a bit to much but it has really grown on me and it brings a lot of fun attention too lol.

I saw some nice ones for sale here in the Midwest. I live in Escanaba Michigan which is on the north part of our beautiful Lake Michigan and some weren’t to far away. Let me know if I can help you find one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you guys tell me how much it cost for the wiring and everything you got from Crutchfield? Everything besides the stereo. I know depending oh what stereo I get the price may differ, but I am just curious. Thank you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter $7.24

Metra 95-3302 Dash Kit $8.69

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface $43.47

GM OnStar GMOS-LAN-03 LAN Data Bus Interface $72.52

Pioneer AVH-601EX $269.99

Bojo Trim Panel Tools $11.99

Posi-Products™ Car Stereo Wiring Harness Connectors $5.99

Total $445.08 US (out the door) - Crutchfield

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Can you guys tell me how much it cost for the wiring and everything you got from Crutchfield? Everything besides the stereo. I know depending oh what stereo I get the price may differ, but I am just curious. Thank you!
I installed a different radio (Kenwood dmx 771hd) but the wiring and interfaces that ZINGER listed were pretty much the same as mine.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
Make note that according to Axxess, the GMOS-LAN-03 LAN Data Bus Interface is for cars without Monsoon, and the GMOS-LAN-04 LAN Data Bus Interface is for Monsoon equipped cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also replaced my headunit last week with all parts purchased from Crutchfield. They offer a custom harness that made it plug and play for me. I did have to put in a new XM tuner but again, plug and play. No soldering, just plug it all in. I replaced Monsoon system and the steering wheel connections for fine.
What parts did you order from Crutchfield to make it all work? Do you have your parts list you can share? Also costs of that is ok. Pics would also be great of your final install. Especially since your steering wheel controls work!!! Thanks

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I've ordered and installed 2 head units and backup cameras from Crutchfield on my two cars. Just go to Crutchfield.com and plug in your information, it only takes a few minutes and you can see all the options and choices with current prices and specials. I spent less than $300 total both times, then again I got both backup cameras off eBay, but everything else was off Crutchfield. They will send you step by step instructions with pictures for the h/u install. Just don't split the rubber handle like they say to instead just remove the two bolts that hold it on.

I've posted pictures and prices of mine before on here.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
just tell the guys at crutchfield what car you have and what sound system and they will tell you exactly what you need and give you vehicle specific instructions on how to install it. I got it all in one package from them. backup camera, bluetooth, GPS, steering wheel controls, etc. called them on a couple of issues I didn't understand and they fixed me up. Only one item to disregard if you use their instructions. do NOT take the OHS#$T handle apart. it will come out in one piece with no problem.

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts