Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I picked up an existing order, I inhereted a non-monsoon sol. If i had the chance, I would have changed to the monsoon, but no sense whining over spilled milk. I would love to have in-dash DVD, but I have obvious concerns about the security of that. I asked my dealer if adding the monsoon aftermarket was a possibility, and he shot that down saying the cost-benefit wouldn't be worth it. What are people doing to upgrade the sound system aftermarket?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm in the same shoes txsol, and as soon as I get my Sol I plan on taking MANY photos and detailed measurements for replacement of the base system. That probably wont be until December, but I'm hoping it will help others.

·
2,574 Posts
txsol said:
Since I picked up an existing order, I inhereted a non-monsoon sol. If i had the chance, I would have changed to the monsoon, but no sense whining over spilled milk. I would love to have in-dash DVD, but I have obvious concerns about the security of that. I asked my dealer if adding the monsoon aftermarket was a possibility, and he shot that down saying the cost-benefit wouldn't be worth it. What are people doing to upgrade the sound system aftermarket?
Discussing it at this point. No final conclusions yet due to many unknowns including things like wiring harnesses for the steering wheel remote controls etc.etc. And welcome by the way. There are some savvy people (I'm noy one but I'm learning) here discussing it. Keep your eyes peeled for threads about sound upgrades and monsoon and you'll find them. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Standard radio

We ordered the standard radio because my wife travels a lot (30-40,000 mi. per year) and we are going to put in a GPS system - probably Pioneer. It is the right size and have been told that the steering wheel controls can be used with the right additional plug wire. As soon as I get all the answers we will be ordering one. I may have a store put it in if they are reasonable on the installation price. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
birdliver said:
Discussing it at this point. No final conclusions yet due to many unknowns including things like wiring harnesses for the steering wheel remote controls etc.etc. And welcome by the way. There are some savvy people (I'm noy one but I'm learning) here discussing it. Keep your eyes peeled for threads about sound upgrades and monsoon and you'll find them. Good luck! ;)
I thought the aftermarket would be a better and cheaper way to provide good sound, so I stuck with basic audio. I want HD Audio, since digital has been the way to go in other arenas. The promise of no fading or picket fencing seems great. Not interested in XM, since it is a subscription service.

I understand that the control head has a new interface, so I might be in for a wait to get HD Audio. I guess I can live with that, but I am thinking that an amp and speaker upgrade might be a good idea in the meantime. Of course, many things will become clear once I receive my car; next week will be 7 months!

·
Registered
729 Posts
oohh, touch screen.....

- bspate -

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my girlfriend has touch screen, but she isn't in a convertable. i can't imagine an easier target for theft. the last thing i want to see is 1) my $1500 head unit ripped out of my car and 2) my soft top slit open so they could get to it. That's my concern with ripping out the factory head unit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with txsol, people love to take freebies for themselves that we worked hard for. I have worked with a company called Crutchfield and they are really good about everything you need for car audio/video components

·
Registered
63 Posts
from the above photo, the stereo area (where the touchscreen is) looks to be DIN size... inwhich you can easily make a plate and rewire the stereo... as far as stealing, thats why you have to get A. a stereo with removeable faceplate and B. a quality FM 2-way alarm.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It looks like an eclipse which would be between $1700 and $2400 depending on features.

I was considering a deck like this one.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Integraoligist said:
... as far as stealing, thats why you have to get A. a stereo with removeable faceplate and B. a quality FM 2-way alarm.
Sorry Integrapligist, but I have to disagree with you.

Removable face plates don't mean squat. I had my head unit ripped from my dash in my old truck while at work even though the faceplate was in my desk in my office. Found out the hard way that all the crook has to do is call the manufacturer and order a new one for $100. Certain manufacturers have much better plans for theft detourance, so make sure you do your research before making assumptions.

Car alarms help, but they are no cure. On top of that they are a pain in the ass with false alarms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what good is an FM alarm anyway? now you know someone is trying to break into your car, are you going to charge down there with a bat? gun? your bare hands? You are losing the head unit anyway, you just know when it's happening. It's a shame that you can't have nice things without worrying about losing them to theft. I would love to be able to watch DVDs in my sol, but i don't think its going to happen.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the sol in the picture is mine and the Eclipse head unit is great................
has dvd based navagation, 8-disc cd changer control, HD radio, Sirius,......
........10'' sub behind pass. seat, two amps behind driver seat, new 3-way
componant set (tweeter and mid in A-pillar, 6 1/2'' in door), has great bass
even with top down, will be appearing in Anahiem at the convention center
for HIN show Dec. 8 and later at CES................we love this car!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
this a process of smoothing and painting, the color is the same as the
wind sheild surround (silver), I did it my self, shouldn't cost too much for
your favorite body shop...........................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts