Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and don't find an applicable thread, so...

I was lucky enough to attend the ride and drive in Nashville and both of the professional drivers said that changing out the tires would be the first thing they'd do (they didn't say to what brand/model). I know from doing that on my Z3 that it make a huge difference. But, due to an obvious lack of input from Solstice drivers, it's difficult to pick a new tire. Am thinking of Michelin Sport A/S, would prefer the P/S, but it isn't made in the correct size. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on aftermarket tires? Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
are you from nashville?

·
Registered
528 Posts
robbers said:
Did a search and don't find an applicable thread, so...

I was lucky enough to attend the ride and drive in Nashville and both of the professional drivers said that changing out the tires would be the first thing they'd do (they didn't say to what brand/model). I know from doing that on my Z3 that it make a huge difference. But, due to an obvious lack of input from Solstice drivers, it's difficult to pick a new tire. Am thinking of Michelin Sport A/S, would prefer the P/S, but it isn't made in the correct size. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on aftermarket tires? Thanks.
Stock tire for winter driving, Goodyear F1's for summer.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
TerpFan said:
Stock tire for winter driving, Goodyear F1's for summer.
Have those on my 330Ci for summer, they are amazing tires. Have switched to winters now.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Don't change the OE tires...they are balanced to the Car

you change them...you change the ride

btw...stay away from the Michelin

Car & Driver..Dec. issue ........rate Gdyr F1 GS D3's as the best

there are many earlier threads on this subject

check the search engine

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
druid, I would modify your advice...

IF you don't care a lick about snow, you should chose a summer only ultra high performance tire. Most of the P245/45R18's should work, but in my experience (pick up the C&D for December), the wet handling of the GS-D3 is outstanding, and better than the Michelin Pilot and the Continental.

If you DO care about snow, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better, just a different blend/balance of characteristics of dry, wet, snow, and ride.

You can prolly find a hi-perf all season that performs better in the wet than the RS-A, but the performance has to come from somewhere, most likely in snow performance. Or you can get a tire that has better dry, but if it has decent wet performance, you prolly have worse snow handling.

Snow handling characteristics for a tire are one of those "opposing forces" things that if you don't care or have to worry about it, you can get a tire that is excellent dry and wet handling (like the GS-D3).

JMHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Blizzaks

Ordered 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks today. They are going to be installed on my car as soon as it arrives - hopefully within a week...Shocked at the cost, they are $1,500 (Canadian) installed. Keeping same rims, will switch them over Spring/Fall. 245/45/18's hard to come by for good snows.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Don't change the OE tires...they are balanced to the Car
you change them...you change the ride
yes, you improve it.

btw...stay away from the Michelin
I have never heard a compliant about Michelin. The pilots are awesome.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
LDM said:
Ordered 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks today. They are going to be installed on my car as soon as it arrives - hopefully within a week...Shocked at the cost, they are $1,500 (Canadian) installed. Keeping same rims, will switch them over Spring/Fall. 245/45/18's hard to come by for good snows.
Are those the LM-22s? I don't think the LM-25, WS-50, and REVO 1 come in our size.

This is a comment from an S2000 owner in Mass: "These tires deliver surprising dry weather performance for a snow tire. They are also outstanding in wet conditions but as a snow tire in a lightweight rear drive vehicle they are definately lacking. If I owned an AWD sports sedan they would probably be my first choice for winter driving. But if a Honda S2000 is your only option in the winter I think youd be better served with Bridgestones WS50s, in spite of the handling tradeoffs.Treadlife was somewhat shorter than what I had anticipated also. After only 2 seasons (7,000 mi.) This season will definately be the last Ill be able to get out of them. Next fall Ill be opting for a set of Bridgestone WS50s."

Have you looked at the Dunlop Winter Sport M3? In the owner survey, it exceeded the Blizzak in every category. Should be same price too.

Don't depend on what I say, I have no special knowledge in tires. I'm just looking at the tirerack.com website for my info.

With no snow here in Houston, I'll be going with Goodyear GS-D3 first time I change tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Gizmo, I appreciate the research. I should have done this before I ordered on impulse.
I briefly checked out the site. Looks like the only winter tires that will fit the Solstice are: Blizzak LM - 22, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2, Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST, Continental Contr Winter. They were all around the same price.

I didn't ask which Blizzak model they were, must have been the LM-22. After I left the dealer I called another place and they were the same price, all I asked for were Blizzak's....interesting to note that when the tire place gave me the price the guy said that "you could probably get a beater for that price". :lol:

The tire rack site listed over 200 reviews for the Blizzaks and about 50 for the Dunlop. All but a few of each were very positive. The reviewers probably went from all seasons to snows and that's why they were all good reviews. It seemed to me that this was the only option for me when the dealer was looking up 245/45/18 Winter tires. I will do a bit more research since they weren't in stock and will take a few days to arrive.

My Uncle suggested I get the bolt pattern and may be able to fit 16's on it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
darn darn darn!!! what drive in nashville.??????? im so jealous! dagnabbit (ladies i do apolgize for offending your ears with my cusssin but....geeesh!!!) :cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Will not drive in snow! :lol:
Will not drive in rain! :lol:

What is the best dry weather tire I can get? :yesnod:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
SolLate said:
Will not drive in snow! :lol:
Will not drive in rain! :lol:

What is the best dry weather tire I can get? :yesnod:
If always dry, I would go with the BFGoodrich GForce T/A KDW-2.

Outperforms the Goodyear GS-D3 slightly in Dry, Cornering, Steering.

But you will regret them on the noise and comfort.

Just mho, based on owner surveys, so take with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Otalldon, I do live in Music City. Fred, I kinda-sorta just crashed the dealer's ride and drive at the Nolensville Road Race Track. Got there early in the morning when the dealers were in meetings, so had the undivided attention of the drivers. They even gave me a ride on the slalom course, then drove my Z3 throught it for a comparison. Was an interesting comment on the tires...they seemed to indicate that the RS/As were not ideally suited or possibly "matched" to the Solstice. But my previous, though limited experience with an "All Season" tire was that it was, in use, actually "No Season" in that the necessary compromises made it mediocre in all conditions. The ratings on the Michelin A/S, however, indicate it's very good in wet and dry, not so good in snow. Living on a hill, I never drive in snow anyway...so seems to be a good balance. Also, as stated, I love the Michelin Pilot P/S tires that I put on my Z3 about a year ago. Thanks to everyone for the input, will check into the Goodyear FIs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tirerack.com

Found a site some of probably already know about: tirerack.com.

It allows you to pick several tires and compare their handling characteristics and read user reviews. Very helpful. And an interesting comparison between the Goodyear RS/A and the Goodyear F1 GSD3.

Hmmmmm....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
LDM said:

Real problem with drinving the Sol in the snow is the low front ground clearance will plow snow. Suppose you could always install lift springs and gain a few inches! :lol:

·
1,492 Posts
snow plow?

No just put the front licence plate on. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts