Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Beides the guy trying to sell us on the idea of using rear mounted turbo chargers, there hasn't been anyone on these forums pimping or asking about future Kappa after market parts.

Some engine parts we mgiht be able to share with some of the other new ECOTEC cars. However the 2.4L is supposedly a lot like the SAAB/Cobalt SS/ION RL engine with some extra exotic features like under piston oil squirters and other things. Plus this engine is the first ECOTEC with VVT, which unfortunately is going to make it tougher at first for after market people to figure out the technology and implement their own technologies into it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
While I cannot say for sure, I would assume that there would be a healthy aftermarket for the solstice. After all how many relatively large volume sportscars have no aftermarket for them. That being said, I do not believe that many mods have been designed for the solstice yet since it will be the first car with the 2.4 engine, rearwheel drive (for a 4banger gm vehicle that is), and we really do not know much of anything of the final specifications of the chasis and its tolerances.

·
5,600 Posts
I am hoping someone offers a car cover for the interior when the top is down. But without obvious attachment points like the snaps for the boot, I'm not sure this can be done.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I expect a very large aftermarket to develop for the car 'cuz it has all the right things: popular car that people buy for either looks or perfomance at a cheap price that leaves money in their pockets to spend on extras for more looks and performance. Although none, other than GM Performance Parts, have yet said they would be making things for the Solstice, it's not uncommon for a manufactuer to release early info on a car to select aftermaket tuners so they can get a jump on production. But as GM hopes to be selling aftermaket parts over their own parts counters, I doubt this has happened this time. It would be giving away a headstart to their competition that they hope to exploit themselves.

Regarding the torneau cover: one possible way is to have the front edge drop in the defroster vents, the side fit into the window slot and the rear Velcro to a strip attached in the verticle to the horizontal brace behind the seats. This last part would require a small, unattached fabric flange to extend an inch or so over the rear deck to deflect rain. Of course it would have to have pockets for the stearing wheel and headrests.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On Autoline Detroit today the featured guest was a lady from GM who heads up a department doing auto accessories. She said they have the designers come up with appearance items (wheels, interior trim, spoilers and other body accent parts) that their dealers can hawk to the buying public to 'personalize' their vehicle at the time of purchase.

It sounds like something that GM is seriously getting into.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Although none, other than GM Performance Parts, have yet said they would be making things for the Solstice
Actually GM Performance Parts has not said they would be making anything officialy for the Solstice yet. GM Accessories devision did say in one of GM's press releases there was going to be a Solstice at SEMA displaying GM Accessories for it though (but as we all know that never actually happened).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There aren’t any 2.4L VVT motors around for the aftermarket to get their hands on yet. So it probably will be a while before we have any firm aftermarket support with actual parts we can get. However, I cannot imagine this car not having a huge aftermarket following. Like the Miata, it is going to be an extremely affordable, extremely well handling roadster. Its looks like it will be an ideal roadster for a tuner to get their hands on and drive, or compete with as the Miata is. If it didn’t develop a similarly large aftermarket following, I would be very surprised.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it will take some time. Has anyone talked to existing companies about an interest in the Solstice? I have talked to a few companies like PFYC and a few other places. They have expressed interest but will not say anything until all factors are considered for this platform.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Actually GM Performance Parts has not said they would be making anything officialy for the Solstice yet. GM Accessories devision did say in one of GM's press releases there was going to be a Solstice at SEMA displaying GM Accessories for it though (but as we all know that never actually happened).
Opps, my mistake. I forgot which division said they would but failed to deliver. :rolleyes

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
I know it will take some time. Has anyone talked to existing companies about an interest in the Solstice? I have talked to a few companies like PFYC and a few other places. They have expressed interest but will not say anything until all factors are considered for this platform.
There was someone on the forum not too long ago talking about a planned engine conversion, and Solstice man was asking people what they may like to see from GM Performance in the way of modifications just in case they may be interested in feedback (hint, hint). Other than that I have not talked to anyone, or heard any other word regarding what could be in the pipeline from outside vendors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts