Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up the brand new Glossy publication (brochure) from the dealer yesterday (all in black).
Inside the flip open at the back is a drawing of the after market windscreen.
Being aero-dynamically challenged (I'm not an engineeer) I was unsure as to the purpose/effect this would have on my driving experience (If and when that actually happens ;) )
Would all you techie types out there explain in layman's terms why i need it and what it does for me?
peace in the valley :)

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I have never used one, but they say it cuts down on the wind noise ... maybe other 'vert vets might have a better answer? :confused:

Another answer .... it looks cool. ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
A windscreen not only cuts down on wind noise in the cabin but reduces the back draft that comes in the cabin keeping ones hair nice and neat!

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I have found the prices for most of the GM aftermarket parts. Does anyone know the (aprox) cost of the windscreen? :confused:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no hair

so.....the only reason i'd need it is to cut down the noise while i've got the Monsoon cranked up...right???

·
Registered
403 Posts
With a convertible, the moving air will flow over the hood and windshield, then roll down and forward into the lower pressure area of the cabin.

This causes a draft from the rear of the passenger compartment towards the dash.

A windscreen will block this draft.

Makes it easier for those who have hair. (I'm in the military and keep mine at 1/4" or so)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
By keeping the air from back flowing into the passenger compartment, with the windblock and a touch of heat, top down driving season can comfortably be extended a couple of months here in the Northeast.

Works great in the Fall when the mornings are right cold but in the 60s by midday.

I would wait until you see what the aftermarket produces as the Pontiac one seems very large and reminds me of a 50's Sci-Fi spaceship "View Screen". I would think that one that fits between the rear humps and has a slight upward curvature would look better and work just as well.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
beam me up

you are right about the Star Trek look....

but it also looks like a viewing port in a prison visitor's hall.

Serious question...wouldn't the visors - EXTENDED BACK OR UP - also push the air flow far enough down the line

·
Registered
90 Posts
I own a 1973 MGB (pre-windscreens) and have this observation on the windscreen's value. When driving with the top down at speeds of over 60 mph for more then say 45 minutes, the wind pummels the back of your head enough to cause a notable headache. While my MGB appears to have a permanent home, a Solstice GXP (with windscreen) will join it.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's not permanent right?

so - if it is "dealer installed" can it be "owner removed" ???
like - does it clip on and pop off?

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I saw a Porsche with a wind deflector yesterday, and nary a hair on their heads was moving.
druid-2, was there an aftermarket luggage rack in that brochure?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...how to avoid the screen

here's a way to keep you hair neat.....buy a hardtop. I have had 2 converts so far. To me the screen looks awkward and takes away from the convert aesthetics. To each his/her own, but I opt for the total windblown experience. I find it easy to explain to people when I arrive anywhere with the windblown look, "was driving with the top down". They usually just look envious.
:cool:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not that I saw

the flip out at the back lists "delaer installed" accessories such as
Windscreen

tonneau

special exhaust

no luggage rack

get a rope and drag it :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
druid-2 said:
This is not the GM direct answer, but one would assume that it can be removed by the customer. (probably clips in somewhere) Since it hampers movement of the top and trunk, probably clips into the trunk decklid, and unclips when you open the trunk.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
druid-2 said:
I believe I saw that the top can be raised with it in place...Im thinking it is a permanent mount if installed.....anyone???

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Something like this that would be held in place by just closing the rear deck on some lower tabs. Then when you need to raise the top, you just toss it in the trunk.

Could even be done in clear Lexan for those who don't want to cut down any rear vision.

Attachments

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Hey LBJay,
The photo you posted looks different than the one on the accessories brochure (part #17800058). Was that on a mule? Just curious, because they both look "weak." JMHO

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
Hey LBJay,
The photo you posted looks different than the one on the accessories brochure (part #17800058). Was that on a mule?
It should!

I created it in Photoshop a couple of minutes ago. :lol:

My experience with Miatas is that all you really need is something to keep the cold air from coming back into the cockpit between the seats.

If you want something to keep your hair from blowing around, buy a hat.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LBJay said:
Something like this that would be held in place by just closing the rear deck on some lower tabs. Then when you need to raise the top, you just toss it in the trunk.

Could even be done in clear Lexan for those who don't want to cut down any rear vision.
Ok, your photoshop windscreen looks damn nice.

Just noticed your sig too. :thumbs:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am digging that photo shopped windscreen...now I want to buy it!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts