Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's the prelim renders on the new intake with extraction vents. I haven't finished the intake with a recessed honeycomb grill yet. Just wanted to get the overall shape and proportions to the hood down first. Again, clean and simple is what I'm aiming for but flowing with the lines of the hood. I didn't have time, but where the intake cowl meets the surface of the hood, I'd have a blended radiused surface all around so there won't be any visible distinction between the two elements and both the intake and hood will have a blended look to it. Anyways, what do you guys think.

top view:

higher perspective view:

lower perspective view:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Can you send a picture from the side so we can see the elevation of the scoop?
Anyway, I like the design! I can't wait to see the real thing!

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
Rudy,
Can you take this rendering and put it on a car?.
It looks good.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am assuming this will be functional air in and air out. If not please qualify..and if so I have always wondered about water especially rain being problematic.. please chime in regarding this.

First impression is IT ROCKS! But I would like to see it on the car.

Although I think it would look improved if the side creases of the scoop would be more parallel and "in sinked" matching with the natural long creases of the hood and the back crease of the scoop (towards the windshield) be less noticable at all flowing with a smooth transition with no apparent crease at all. This is best noticed from your above the hood shot. That line "crease" looks too abrupt like a seam not flowing with the nature of this car almost like an add on scoop. I love the exit vents, reminds me of the shape of flames.

I think if the scoop was smoothed out a little and less of a chiseled look..it would be perfect.

Let's see it on the car!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks nice! Have you thought of taking the center and inverting it? Kind of like the Corvette race car? When I first saw the birds eye view, I thought that was exactly what you did1

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did a quick half-ass photochop of the rendered hood concept onto my car. The perspective on the hood is a little off. But, I think this will give you a better idea of how it looks on the car.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Looks nice! Have you thought of taking the center and inverting it? Kind of like the Corvette race car? When I first saw the birds eye view, I thought that was exactly what you did1
Those are normally used to extract heat from an intercooler/rad, the intercooler/rad is mounted on a angle right below the inverter scoop. Unless you plan on doing the same, it would be pointless since there's nothing there to extract heat from.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Well I did a quick half-ass photochop of the rendered hood concept onto my car. The perspective on the hood is a little off. But, I think this will give you a better idea of how it looks on the car.
That pic right there makes me want the recessed grills even more.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,732 Posts
<speechless>

I was hoping for a little more of a Z06 scoop, but i like this one too. I like scoops on my cars... (see below)

·
Registered
311 Posts

In what material do you think it will be available?
I am defenetly interested in that hood! Bring it to life!!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,732 Posts
I would go for it with out the scoop.

The engine bay needs as much air escape as possible not in.
I'm pretty sure (that is, I hope) that that scoop is force feeding the intake, not just sending air into the engine bay. I would want a fully functional intake scoop.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Rudy:

Now that I have seen the hood scoop on the car, for my taste, I do not like the scoop, it takes away from the flow of the hood. I think a recessed scoop aka, Z06 would look much better. However, I do like the air extractors on the back side of the hood.

Frank I

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
After looking at it on the car, I think the opening like you find on the ZO6 or Viper would look better on the Solstice.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts