Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Latest concept...

Here's another concept which was inspired by both the Dodge Neon and ZR1 vette. I wanted to make sure that the profile didn't sway too far from the lines of the hood and trying to keep proportions in check with the size of hood. Thanks to forum feedback and Frank I's persistence, of all the previous designs, I believe this that concept should be moved to the next phase. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. rudy

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Imageshack was going screwy for a bit and not linking images. It's all working now. Thanks for the reply King!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like the hood design but I decided to give my own take on it.

The last one is inspired by the Ford GT. I did all of these pretty fast so let me know if you guys like them and what to tinker with.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
We have just finished up with creating production molds for the side fenders with new vents and a set is being shipped to me as I type. However, the costs for making the production molds for these smaller parts, was quite pricey. We are speculating now that the price for making a production mold for the entire hood with the added vents and scoop could run up to 6k if not more. Something that we currently cannot put down at this time.

However, we are considering offering these individual parts (rear hood vents and latest front scoop) for sale as fiberglass accessories that would have to be implemented into your current metal hood. This could be done at any body shop which will cost money to drop, blend, and paint your hood. If you have access to a body shop or know someone, then this may be the best and most economical solution of acquiring the hood you desire.

For now, we won't offer the entire hood with vents and front scoop in the immediate future. But, may reconsider some time down the road if business increases. Thanks for the inquiry.

rudy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rudy,

Sorry to hear your not proceeding with the entire hood. Certainly understand the cost issue with respect to the upfront tooling investment. Although I like the idea of making a separate hood vent that could be dropped in and blended, have you thought of making just a set of drop-in hood vents that require no blending? Design them w/ a lip to which 3M tape can be applied and the only thing to install them would be cut a hole in the hood, paint the vent, and install. It would save the expense of going to a body shop and cost a lot less in mfg tooling to make them. I’d consider buying a set of vents like this of your design. You’re on the right track with the hood vents as engine bay on the Sols runs too hot.

Take care

Tony

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah I knew it would come to that Rudy, the hood would have cost 1k+ per piece even if you made it and I don't know how many would actually commit to it. I think best bet for products is the recessed grills, sideskirts and some type of front lip. Those would probably generate the most interest.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I can attest to Rudy's high cost for fabricating the hood...Norm said the same thing to me. It costs a ton of money just to get a prototype out, and for small businesses, that amount of money can be too much at one time. I look forward to those recessed grills.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Rudy,

Sorry to hear your not proceeding with the entire hood. Certainly understand the cost issue with respect to the upfront tooling investment. Although I like the idea of making a separate hood vent that could be dropped in and blended, have you thought of making just a set of drop-in hood vents that require no blending? Design them w/ a lip to which 3M tape can be applied and the only thing to install them would be cut a hole in the hood, paint the vent, and install. It would save the expense of going to a body shop and cost a lot less in mfg tooling to make them. I’d consider buying a set of vents like this of your design. You’re on the right track with the hood vents as engine bay on the Sols runs too hot.

Take care

Tony
Even if you made a lip on the part, you still would have to blend it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Rudy,

Take care

Tony
hey Tony...

Good to hear from you again, man. Yeah, the entire hood plus the accessories (intake and exit vents) would be a very pricey investment to jump into for such a finicky market. Not sure whether we'll follow up with the entire hood option or not. However, you did bring one interesting option to mind. In addition to offering the exit vents that would need to be installed from underneath the hood and blended in, the idea of having a top-mounted vent, installed with 3M tape and dropped from the top could also be another option. Especially to those that want just a quick mod added to their hood and still make it functional. Like you mentioned, that it would probably have a 1/4" to 1/2" surround lip that would be about 1/8" thick and have 3M tape underneath to install directly onto the hood. I'll have to play with some ideas later. But, I'll post some results when I come up with the renderings.

For now, I'm about 90% complete with the first recessed grill mold for the outter frame. I'm hoping to be able to cast the first piece this week to test fit. I'm also waiting for the first set of the vented side panels that are due to arrive on Thursday for test fitting and side skirts due to be vacuum-formed this week to make production molds from. Unfortunately, time is against me as I'm heading out of town on family vacation on Friday and am pushing to get results for the recessed grills before then.

rudy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Rudy,

Looking forward your vented side panels and side skirts. They look fantastic. Appreciate the words on making drop-in hood vents. It would save folks money by not having to completely rework their hood. Not sure, but I think the same can be done for your hood scoop. Thanks in advance for your time in making renderings, I think folks here would appreciate them.

Regards,

Tony

61 - 75 of 75 Posts