Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an official announcement of the Recessed Grills now available via the Aftershock website. Special introductory price offer for $199.00 which is good for limited time til July 31st, 2009. Afterwards, the price jumps to retail which is $265.00.

Direct ordering link here: aftershock products

Let me know if you have any questions. To those who've waited for so long for this mod, thanks for all your patience, your loyalty, and your support in our product development and contribution to the Kappa community. Very much appreciated.:yesnod:

rudy

ps. In case you forgot, here's some pics painted and installed:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Can't wait to get a set of these! What mods do I have to do to get these to go in or is it as easy as the stock grill to put in?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't wait to get a set of these! What mods do I have to do to get these to go in or is it as easy as the stock grill to put in?
The only thing you need to do is either trim or remove the entire black foam bumper behind the facia. This frees up some room for the recessed part of the frame. Removing is alot easier than trimming unless you have a very large industrial-type band saw. The grills frames will snap into the fascia like the oem. You just don't want to remove them from the fascia as much as possible as the tabs will break. However, if you do break them, they are re-glueable so you can re-install them back.

rudy

·
Registered
394 Posts
I want to order them. Shipping Outside US. I choose Canada-Ontario.
It comes up as $0.00. Do you want me to continue?
Special deal for us in Canada??:):)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to order them. Shipping Outside US. I choose Canada-Ontario.
It comes up as $0.00. Do you want me to continue?
Special deal for us in Canada??:):)
hello...

I posted a response to your questions regarding shipping to Canada on the longer recessed grills thread. Here's a copy of my response to you:

hello...

I'll have to get back to you on the shipping costs. I'll need to bring the package with a set of grills packed to my local USPO to get an exact shipping cost from them to Ontario, Canada. Once I get the shipping costs, I can send you a separate PayPal invoice for the shipping costs alone. In the mean time, you can go ahead and place your order via the web site which will not add shipping costs to your order since your ordering from outside the US. Just let me know when you place your order so I can get the shipping costs for you because I'm getting a little swamped with PM's, e-mails, and orders. Thanks.

rudy

So proceed with your order via PayPal and send me the exact ship to address so I can get an exact shipping cost to your address and will send you a separate PayPal invoice for the shipping cost alone. Hope this helps.

rudy

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Private message sent

·
Registered
573 Posts
Rudy:

I haven't read every single post in the other thread so this may have been addressed before but what does it take to remove the foam behind the grills. I assume you have to take the entire fascia off. I love the grills and would like to have them on my Solstice but I want to know what work will be involved.
Thanks again for making these amazing products for our cars.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rudy:

I haven't read every single post in the other thread so this may have been addressed before but what does it take to remove the foam behind the grills. I assume you have to take the entire fascia off. I love the grills and would like to have them on my Solstice but I want to know what work will be involved.
Thanks again for making these amazing products for our cars.
hi Solactor...

The black foam block is held by, I believe, four plastic pins that can be popped off. You can use any tool with a flat edge to pop the pins off. It's been a year since I did this but I believe they pop out or the flat round disc slides out from the center pin. Either way it'll take less than 5 second per pin to remove. And the block is fully reinstallable if you need to do so.

Here's a quick pic with yellow arrows showing where the pins are located:

Hope this helps.

rudy

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ummm, correct me if I am wrong, but is that foam piece not the major part of the impact absorbing part of the bumper?? Isn't removing it illegal and dangerous??

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
You don't have to remove it completely...he just said it is easier to install it if you remove the whole thing...I just had Joe cut mine. he used a great method...he heated up a piece of metal from a hanger and just melted right through it...it was much easier than trying to cut it with a blade.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ummm, correct me if I am wrong, but is that foam piece not the major part of the impact absorbing part of the bumper?? Isn't removing it illegal and dangerous??
The metal crash bar is right behind that foam block. That's what will protect you from a frontal crash. The foam block itself is more for structural support for the front fascia during light impact fender bender-type crashes. This mod does NOT require you to remove the actual metal protection beam behind the foam block. That stays in place!

Ultimately it is up to the end-user how to approach this installation whether to remove enough of the foam block to clear the grills or remove it entirely. I believe that most who have replaced their OEM fascia with an aftermarket one, would need to modify or remove the foam block entirely to fit the replacement to the vehicle. I chose to remove mine as it was easier and quicker than cutting manually with a serrated saw/knife.

But as Spikey mentioned, cutting with a hot wire/hanger may be the ticket to cut this foam material as it's somewhat rubbery to cut by hand. Hope this helps.

rudy

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
LOL Deep...I don't think the stock grills even weigh 2 pounds LOL.

Cutting it with a hot wire definitely seemed really easy for Joe to do...much easier than cutting through it..and we had both methods available as it was done at his mod meet.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hey guys:

What are your suggestions for paint for these grilles on a Deep Solstice? I kind of like to have silver grilles to match the rest of the silver trim (windshield etc) -- but then what color would I paint the outside rim of the grilles? On a silver or red Solstice I think the black will look great with the outside rims done in silver like Rudy has done. But on dark blue I don't know if I like the black as well.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Spiky:

How much did Joe have to cut off for them to fit? I guess I mean how thick (or deep) did it need and was the surface area as large as the entire double grille area or are there just certain places you need to cut for proper fit?

Did that even make sense? I hope so.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Spiky:

How much did Joe have to cut off for them to fit? I guess I mean how thick (or deep) did it need and was the surface area as large as the entire double grille area or are there just certain places you need to cut for proper fit?

Did that even make sense? I hope so.
I think he took out a good 2 inches of it. After I get them, I will let you know if enough was taken out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts