Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys, I think you will find that the manufacture does not want you to remove the foam absorber as this can affect SIR timing, and is part of the occupant safety system. As a mater of fact the manufacture states that in the event of a loss, if this absorber is deformed it will require replacement. If you think they say that so that they can sell more, that isn't correct either, because GM has a TSB on how to repair a broken absorber. The major insurance companies even require an OEM absorber if replacement is necessary, because of safety issues. So with that being said, I would not remove it!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Hey guys, I think you will find that the manufacture does not want you to remove the foam absorber as this can affect SIR timing, and is part of the occupant safety system. As a mater of fact the manufacture states that in the event of a loss, if this absorber is deformed it will require replacement. If you think they say that so that they can sell more, that isn't correct either, because GM has a TSB on how to repair a broken absorber. The major insurance companies even require an OEM absorber if replacement is necessary, because of safety issues. So with that being said, I would not remove it!

Point taken, but you could trim in back a bit...

·
Registered
394 Posts
hello...

I posted a response to your questions regarding shipping to Canada on the longer recessed grills thread. Here's a copy of my response to you:

hello...

I'll have to get back to you on the shipping costs. I'll need to bring the package with a set of grills packed to my local USPO to get an exact shipping cost from them to Ontario, Canada. Once I get the shipping costs, I can send you a separate PayPal invoice for the shipping costs alone. In the mean time, you can go ahead and place your order via the web site which will not add shipping costs to your order since your ordering from outside the US. Just let me know when you place your order so I can get the shipping costs for you because I'm getting a little swamped with PM's, e-mails, and orders. Thanks.

rudy

So proceed with your order via PayPal and send me the exact ship to address so I can get an exact shipping cost to your address and will send you a separate PayPal invoice for the shipping cost alone. Hope this helps.

rudy
When you get back at it, my order has been placed through PayPal with my address for you to calculate the shipping costs to Ontario, Canada. Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Last day...

Just a friendly reminder that today's the last day to receive the introductory discount price of $199 for the recessed grills. Afterwards, on Aug 1st, the price goes up to retail price of $265.

Direct link to order is here:
aftershock recessed grills

rudy

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Rudy, I'll be sending you a MO for the grilles today, so even though technically you won't receive the MO until next week I'm technically ordering a set today ;).

Also, could you remind me what the material is? This is the place I'm considering for having the outside bezels plated. Advanced Plating. Chrome Plating and Powder Coating

Even though they offer plastic chrome services, I'm thinking they may first want to know what the composite is before committing. Power block TV did a spot on them, showing how they were able to use the same traditional triple plating process on plastic as they use on metal. Meaning they dip it in a copper bath, then a nickel bath, followed by a chrome bath. I’m not really sure if they have to polish between each plating step, plus offer or recommend some type of protective clear finish.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Rudy, I'll be sending you a MO for the grilles today, so even though technically you won't receive the MO until next week I'm technically ordering a set today ;).

Also, could you remind me what the material is? This is the place I'm considering for having the outside bezels plated. Advanced Plating. Chrome Plating and Powder Coating

Even though they offer plastic chrome services, I'm thinking they may first want to know what the composite is before committing. Power block TV did a spot on them, showing how they were able to use the same traditional triple plating process on plastic as they use on metal. Meaning they dip it in a copper bath, then a nickel bath, followed by a chrome bath. I’m not really sure if they have to polish between each plating step, plus offer or recommend some type of protective clear finish.
Your question is off topic for this thread, and in Rudy's abscense I'll try my best to answer, though I'm not a replacement for Rudy or Aftershock by any means... I do deal with plating & coating of metals and plastics for work and have done so for over 10 years.

The material these parts are made of is a cast resin, and while I don't believe Rudy has stated the exact resin, castable resins are usually urethane. Here is a link to catch you up on what that is:

Casting Resin and Silicone Mold Making Rubber

Tons of information there. The process involves making a mold (out of silicone), and pouring the casting resin in to cure. Once cured, pull off the mold and you have a part.

So... what Rudy did was design the part on his computer, and have an SLA part produced (see link):

Stereolithography Prototypes, SLA Prototyping, Stereolithography Services - ProtoCAM

That part is then prepped (if needed) to make a mold from. The better the prepping the better the finished part. A silicone mold is made of the SLA part, and that silicone mold is what is used to pour in the casting resin. In this case a two part mold was created, and the surface (backside) where the two molds meet is where the flash is created that needs to be removed (see Spiky's post concerning this, as well as Rudy's own comments concerning the flash).

So... long way to get to your answer on plating. Platable plastic grades are usually ABS based, however there are many grades of platable plastics (Polypro, Nylon 6/6, HTN - High Temp Nylon, and PPA being ones I use the most)... castable urethane, well, I've never attempted to plate it and never seen anyone who has plated it either. From the chemistry of it all, I don't see how it's possible either.

It doesn't matter how good the shop is, if the technology is not available to do something it simply isn't available. So... if you want to contact your shop of choice and see if they can plate castable urethanes by all means do it... just understand that it's not a normal process and your treading new ground as you go.

As I stated in another thread, I think Duplicolor Metalcast paints might be the best solution for a chrome look. Using an adhesion promotor, very thin coats, and some patience will go a long way to providing a great looking result. Castable urethanes can be painted without issue, provided they are very clean and all silicone residue / oil is removed as paint and silicone don't mix well at all.

Hopefully that answers your questions or gives you the information you need to take to your finisher of choice.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
When will the Brake grills be available for purchase? Ive been holding off on the fronts till I can get the brake grills with them.
I actually have one side about 50% complete on the molds. I'm planning to finish both sides by next week and going to try to do the molds for the interior vent rings while I'm at it. Should start producing prototypes for the foglight recessed grills once the molds are complete.

rudy

21 - 34 of 34 Posts