Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But for now, I'm concentrating on finishing up my prototype side skirts and will continue on getting the grills developed by next month.
Well, yesterday on the recessed grill thread, you let the cat out of the bag on prototype side skirts. Where are the teaser pics?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solster, any reply?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this one hadn't gone through the CAD process like the recessed grill?

·
Registered
601 Posts
So this one hadn't gone through the CAD process like the recessed grill?
Yes, it's been through the CAD design process and the machining stage too. I've already fitted both skirts on both sides and am in the process of making fiberglass molds for both of them. I've completed the mold for the driver's side already and just need to do the layup to make a part. The passenger side has already been "skinned" and needs to have a negative mold made from that. I'm trying to do both parts (fiberglassing) simultaneously as it requires lengthy steps to get the results I want. And, I'm trying not to rush it as I don't want to F-up any of the molds as I did with the driver's side earlier about a month ago. Since this is my first time making fiberglass molds and parts from it, I'm still learning as I go and hoping that nothing will get screwed up at the end as it delays the completion time.

Once I get the driver's side part made, then I'll hand finish it, paint it, and mount it on the vehicle for fitting. And if everything looks good, then I'll post pics.

rudy

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coo, Thanks for the info. Can't wait for the pics.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, it's been through the CAD design process and the machining stage too. I've already fitted both skirts on both sides and am in the process of making fiberglass molds for both of them. I've completed the mold for the driver's side already and just need to do the layup to make a part. The passenger side has already been "skinned" and needs to have a negative mold made from that. I'm trying to do both parts (fiberglassing) simultaneously as it requires lengthy steps to get the results I want. And, I'm trying not to rush it as I don't want to F-up any of the molds as I did with the driver's side earlier about a month ago. Since this is my first time making fiberglass molds and parts from it, I'm still learning as I go and hoping that nothing will get screwed up at the end as it delays the completion time.

Once I get the driver's side part made, then I'll hand finish it, paint it, and mount it on the vehicle for fitting. And if everything looks good, then I'll post pics.

rudy
I don't know how your design will look, but I think that something ala Corvette ZR1 will look gorgeous. I'm talking about the the carbonfiber sideskirt, front lip and the small piece behind the back wheel (some kind of mud guard). I just look the simplicity on the design. It doesn't need to be on carbonfiber. What do you think?

·
Registered
601 Posts
My side skirt design is much different from the ones on the corvette. They're more blended in with the overall look of the sol and will look sharp as well, IMO.

Speaking of which, I decided to scrap the fiberglass prototyping process as this route was not working too well for me and was taking wayyyyy too much time to get one decent set done. So, now I've decided to get them done via vacuum forming. I'm already getting the prototype mold machined out which will be ready by next week and will bring them to my vacuum form vendor to get these pulled. I'll post pics of progress when I get these parts in hand within the next couple of weeks.

rudy

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just a teaser of what's currently in the works. I'll be getting the first vacuum-formed prototype plastic parts within the next 2 weeks for test fitting. The ones you see here are the CNC'd foam prototypes that were test fitted on the vehicle a couple months ago. The other smaller images were the preliminary design stage renderings.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, Can you post a larger pic of the computer rendered one?

·
Registered
123 Posts
what are we looking at for pricing on these?

·
Administrator
9,209 Posts
Rudy ... do you have a "ballpark" figure on these?? I got to set some money aside! :drool:

These are so similar to the ones off the Club Racer I believe and I have been jonesin' after those for a couple of years!

·
Registered
601 Posts
what are we looking at for pricing on these?
Pricing will be available after I get these completed and a mahogany wood mold made after. I'm hoping that my vacuum-forming vendor will give me a price break as I've been in business with him for years now. So, I'm not sure what to tell you yet on these til my fabricator gets back to me after this 1st phase.

I was trying to stay away from the club racer/transformer design as I knew that Norm was already producing that concept. So, I designed these that were inspired by European design cues found on other euro imports. I try to utilize a more of a subtle and refined approach which have been the foundation of my other projects. Yet, have lines that will flow with the character of the vehicle overall. I hope that makes sense. :willy:

Anyway, here's a couple more rendering shots:

Vacuum-forming molds:

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Like the design.. only issue I have is the front splash guards will not work with these (or any?) side skirts.

I currently run with the splash guards due to autox events... I tend to kick up a TON of gravel at events with my RE-01R's on the car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just a teaser of what's currently in the works. I'll be getting the first vacuum-formed prototype plastic parts within the next 2 weeks for test fitting. The ones you see here are the CNC'd foam prototypes that were test fitted on the vehicle a couple months ago. The other smaller images were the preliminary design stage renderings.

These look really good. How much? Will you be doing a front spoiler for the N/A and the GXP to match?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts