Votes: 54 23.7%
  • 51 - 75

Votes: 86 37.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
We've had several age polls before, but it'll be nice to see how it turns out now with all the new members.

For future refrence since this doesn't actually pertain to the Solstice it belongs in the General:General section below the Solstice section.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acually I was looking for the age groups who will be or thinking of purching the Solstice.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I chose the 22-30 range because I'm 21 right now by will turn 22 before the Solstice hits dealers.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You might want to edit this thread topic and your first post to reflect that then, otherwise it looks like you jsut want peoples ages for no particular reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 53 and will buy my first roadster in 2005. I am looking at the Solstice and also other options like a used Porsche Boxster or a Honda S2000. also the Sky looks like an option but it will not be out until 2006. This would be a fun car for me. would not drive it over 8,000 per year. Is the Boxster a car to consider or should I wait for the Solstice which I like so far from what I see and hear.
:smile

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Maybe we should ask Troy or Solsticeman to sticky one of these age polls to keep it at the top. That would prevent reposts, and it would allow new members to voice their age as they join up.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm 61 and have been driving convertibles since 1976 when I got my first '74 VW Thing. Since then, Ive had a '76 MGB, an '88 Samurai, a '92 Lebaron GTC, a '97 Eclipse Spyder, and another '74 Thing. I can't wait till I can get my hands on my Solstice. I've been nuts for one since it first was shown at the 2002 NAIAS and have been wanting one ever since. Hope its as much fun to drive as it looks in the pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I'm 52 and have been driving off and on (off at the moment) a 1967 MGB with a 1956 MGA in looooong term restoration. I've been looking at possible dependable daily driver roadsters for several years. Almost went with new Fiat X/19 back before Pammy was born. Drool list has included TT, Boxter, MR2, Miata, MGF, Peugeot (which I saw in Cayman Is.)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm not too happy with the way this one is categorized. Might as well say "51-dirt". At 52, I don't really feel like I belong in the very oldest age group.

By the way, achieftain, my first car was a '58 MGA coupe. Was great fun when it ran and easy to push when it didn't! Except when, after a "spirited" drive on a mountain road, those great looking spoked knockoff gave me three flat tires due to rim cuts!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
Oh man I'm going to be over the hill in April I'm going to be 30 ahhhh 30 and single..........
I don’t think you should feel too bad! There are more respondents in this thread older than you than there are younger people! I am not too far behind you either! :lol

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I don’t think you should feel too bad! There are more respondents in this thread older than you than there are younger people! I am not too far behind you either! :lol
Hey, ff88, I thought you were the original owner of that Fiero, guess that's not the case unless you bought it in preschool :jester

·
Registered
533 Posts
roadsterfan said:
..... Is the Boxster a car to consider or should I wait for the Solstice which I like so far from what I see and hear.
The Boxster is an excellent car but it will probably more than twice as much to purchase, and you will be paying a premium for parts and labor. If money is not an issue, you should look at it. The 2005 models just underwent some significant changes for the better.

After you've seen it, ask yourself if it is twice as desirable a car as the Solstice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It kinda makes sense that the 2 primary age groups for ragsters are:
1. before you have kids
2. after the kids are out of the house

We've had ragsters now in both of those groupings. :cheers
OTOH, we had lots of boring sedans and minivans and SUVs while the kids were around.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
tcl said:
The Boxster is an excellent car but it will probably more than twice as much to purchase, and you will be paying a premium for parts and labor. If money is not an issue, you should look at it. The 2005 models just underwent some significant changes for the better.

After you've seen it, ask yourself if it is twice as desirable a car as the Solstice.
Boxster USD 43,900.00 MSRP
Boxster S USD 53,200.00 MSRP

Personally I feel the Boxster is twice the car as the Solstice, so it does commend the twice the price. Especially with the series II out now, and when the Coupe finally gets released. But the thing is the Solstice just isn't meant to compete in that segemnt. Not even the Sky is meant to compete in that segement. And it also comes down to the fact that your average person is going to get the same level of enjoyment from the Solstice as they will a Boxster. It requires someone looking for the next level of ammenities and power with the ability to afford and use that machinery to get the benefits of the double price.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
tcl said:
That's the starting point. Add things like metallic paint for $825 or optional wheels for several thousand and the price starts to climb rapidly.
Yeah, but those are options. You don't have to have them to still have the Porsche experience. Same with the Solstice, you can have the Solstice experience with the base car as well. Because you can add on close to $20,000 in options to the Boxster.

I was just pointing out the base prices to show that yes, the Boxster is twice the price as the Solstice.

·
Registered
533 Posts
brentil said:

I was just pointing out the base prices to show that yes, the Boxster is twice the price as the Solstice.
I have to admit that I'm tempted by a Carmen Red 05 Boxster, but when logic takes over, I tell myself that I could replace a lot of furniture or pay for a piece of my daughter's college tuition with the difference in price between the two vehicles. I've gone through two somewhat expensive sports cars since 1999 and I'm now looking for a vehicle with a high fun factor per dollar. Especially since the car will not be daily driver.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts