Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....now all I need is the waterpump and I'll be right with everyone else! LOL... I actually caught this today because my parents had their driveway re-done last spring. As I came out to get in my car, I noticed this spot as I was backing up....about the size of a quarter. Guess I will be calling the dealership tomorrow.... :banghead:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Had the same "spot" on clean concrete floor. Dealer installed an extended vent tube on the 2006 NA.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
^ that's what i wanted to suggest yesterday since I can't tell from the tiny picture where the leak is coming from.

The 'dreaded' leak/recall for the early cars was from the rear-axle pinion seal so it should be pretty easy to spot.

Like MAZOO mentioned, many saw spotting from the vent tube 'venting' after hard driving. A longer tube usually resolved that.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This looks like its actually coming from the housing seal on the left side.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Pinion seal leak.....was the recall ever done on your car?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good question momsSol....I don't know. I thought it was only on 06 and 07. Mine's an 08. I would assume when it's at the dealership for maintenance that they would check that. At least we did at Lincoln.... My dealer that I like can't take it till next week, they have several techs off due to unforeseen issues. Two are on vaca, one got stuck on jury duty, and one's daughter had emergency surgery and isn't doing well....so they only have one lube tech and an electrical guy left.... :( So I told them I would bring it in next Monday. I trust them! That's why I'm waiting..... although they did try to put conventional motor oil in it last oil change.... I had to tell them no, MOBIL 1......

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well....now all I need is the waterpump and I'll be right with everyone else! LOL... I actually caught this today because my parents had their driveway re-done last spring. As I came out to get in my car, I noticed this spot as I was backing up....about the size of a quarter. Guess I will be calling the dealership tomorrow.... :banghead:

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please keep us updated on the dealership and repairs. Feel free to contact us privately if you any issues in getting this resolved. If you send a PM, include your VIN#, name, contact information, dealership, situation, and mileage. I hope this is resolved promptly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, just got a call from the dealer. It is the vent tubing, but they want to charge me $168 for a rear end flush to make sure there is nothing else going on. Is this normal? Shouldn't warranty cover the issue? Maybe someone can explain. My car is certified, it's an 08 and it has less then 50k. Is there a recall or TSB on this?

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Seems to me they should cover it if it is necessary for the warranty repair. They are probably taking the position that all that is needed is a longer vent tube, and then trying to sell you extras that GM (quite rightly) would not cover. I'd just get the tube and tell them you'll be back under warranty if anything else does go wrong, but they don't get to go fishing on your dollar.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, just got a call from the dealer. It is the vent tubing, but they want to charge me $168 for a rear end flush to make sure there is nothing else going on. Is this normal? Shouldn't warranty cover the issue? Maybe someone can explain. My car is certified, it's an 08 and it has less then 50k. Is there a recall or TSB on this?
I can look into the situation but would this information: VIN#, name, contact information, dealership, situation, and mileage. I hope this can be resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
There is a TSB on extending the vent tube with additional tubing and an additional vent tube.

I highly doubt that it is covered under the certified warranty.

The only recall on the Solstice differential is for the pinion seal, and this isn't a pinion seal leak if it's the vent tube.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I just picked up my baby...

I paid $168 for a rear end fluid change. When I went to my SA (a friend or so I thought), and showed him my printed out TSB for the rear vent tubing, he responded that he would have to go talk to the tech to see if I had it done to my car. When he returned about 10 minutes later, he said "your car didn't have this done. Do you mind if I keep this TSB and order the parts?" I said nope. He asked how I got a hold of the TSB and I stated, you know where I work, I have access to all TSBs, recalls and repairs by all manufacturers. He said that his tech couldn't find the TSB earlier when I had talked to him. But I could.....LOL.....

So, he said the TSB repair will be covered, but I still had to pay for the fluid change today because my car was at the 47k mark anyway and I would have had to had it done anyway. So, that's where I stand. I paid for a repair that should have probably been covered. I'll keep everyone up to date.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
If you have a Limited Slip Differential, ask the Service Manager whether they added the friction modifier to the differential, or whether they used the newer GM rear diff gear lube with the friction modifier already added.

There are a bunch of threads out on the forum with the information on the friction modifier for LSD. Use the google search in the upper left below the header.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, synthetic diff fluid and friction modifier....

It does seem a lot less "free wheeling" since the fluid change. Is this normal? I've never felt it like this before, almost as if it's binding. It's fine around turns and no chatter or whine out of the rear end.

On a lighter note:

A couple was taking delivery of their new truck tonight and because it's raining they were delivering it in the service drive. When I pick my car up, it's brought into the service drive for me...always. And with my exhaust and high flow cat, you can imagine what it sounded like when I started it up!! LMAO!!! The woman jumped.... And then I heard her shout to her salesperson, someone needs a muffler.....LMAO!!!! :dthumbs: The rumble from my car inside the service drive was priceless!!!!! :devil:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
Yes, synthetic diff fluid and friction modifier....

It does seem a lot less "free wheeling" since the fluid change. Is this normal? I've never felt it like this before, almost as if it's binding. It's fine around turns and no chatter or whine out of the rear end.
When mine went bad, it was totally replaced (entire diff). The new diff was much "tighter" than the original, and will chirp the inside tire on tight turns. After 35 thousand miles it has loosened up a bit, but will still chirp the inside wheel on the occasional tight turn.

I had mine serviced for the vent leak three times, took it on a 1500 mile trip, and shortly after it had developed a whine and then all the seals let loose almost overnight. The dealer replaced the entire diff under the warranty. The car had about 8,500 miles at that time.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I PM'd Matt, the GM Cust Serv rep here on the boards 2 days ago, and still no response.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day 3 and still no response from Matt.....

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day 4 and STILL no response from Matt..... I handled my issue all by myself with the dealership.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
Day 4 and STILL no response from Matt..... I handled my issue all by myself with the dealership.
I saw something on another thread that I interpreted as Matt being away for a while, maybe on vacation?

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/1113885-post6.html

Patience! It may also mean that Matt has moved elsewhere within GM. He wasn't the first one using the GMCustomerSvc handle here. Before Matt it was Caron.

Send another PM, maybe someone is still paying attention.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts