Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good garage air compressor capable of inflating my tires in a reasonable amount of time. Anyone have any product recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
7,519 Posts
For the use you have planned the brand is relatively unimportant. I do recommend getting a belt-drive unit, and not one of the direct drive types. The direct drive compressors operate at such a high speed that reliability is significantly lower, and they sound horrible.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Tex - are you looking to do anything else with it other than inflation? As others stated here there are economical options if that's all you're going to do but if you buy something cheap from Wal-Mart, be assured that you'll certainly get your money's worth.

I bought a "higher end" unit from Sears about 12 years ago and all I used it for was inflation. I bought it intending to start using it with various air tools so I bought "up". It was a direct drive oil-less and as JR stated, it screams quite loudly. A couple years ago I started to accessorize my workshop and started to use it more and the motor fried. I probably had 25 hours total on the motor! Local motor shop tested it and the winding was fried. Quoted me about $300 to rewind it. New motor costs about $300. Same (similar) compressor can be bought today for about $300.

I bought an Ingersol/Rand garagemate. It's a two-stage belt drive and, using the synthetic oil provided, is rated for continuous use. It doesn't have the volume output for some air tools but can handle everything I'm trying to do with it.

Match the cubic feet per minute (cfm) of the compressor with the individual tool's requirements if you intend on doing more than just inflation.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Get a belt drive, oil lubricated, cast iron head. The oil less compressors are very LOUD. Look for CFM, around 6.0 at 90 PSI. Get a good, large unit the first time. You'll end up using it for more than inflating a tire.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Also, stay out of Harbor Freight.
Are you implying that a set of 100 screwdrivers for $10.00 isn't a good buy?

:lol:

I buy from Harbor Freight occasionally, but only when it's something I'll use so infrequently that the quality/dependability trade off is such that I don't mind if it fails after 5 uses because that's 20 years later. Also, we have a store not too far away so I can eyeball the quality before I buy.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Are you implying that a set of 100 screwdrivers for $10.00 isn't a good buy?

:lol:

I buy from Harbor Freight occasionally, but only when it's something I'll use so infrequently that the quality/dependability trade off is such that I don't mind if it fails after 5 uses because that's 20 years later. Also, we have a store not too far away so I can eyeball the quality before I buy.
It's just that I read about so many people using Chinese junk tools, ruining their fasteners, and then writing that the vehicle manufacturer uses "cheap" fasteners. Especially with allen and torx bolts. There is nothing worse than rounding a fastener because a person tries to save some money and buys an ill fitting tool.

Their air tools are underpowered, extremely noisy, and short lasting. In tools, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Agree wholeheartedly, upswept. Put a cheap box end on a bolt, even a 6 point box end, and notice how much slop there is turning it side to side versus a good wrench. Add to that play the fact that you rarely get a good flat approach to the bolt head you need to get at and you round corners in a hurry.

Cheap fasteners can be an issue too. Local supply house my employer uses had that discussion with me a few years back. Said he could make a lot of money selling cheap hardware from China but said the few boxes he got in were such junk he wasn't willing to destroy his reputation selling them.

Funny you mentioned air tools from Harbor Freight. Co-worker made the case for a $10.00 cut-off saw - like a 3 inch or something. He knew it was junk but figured he'd only use it once or twice. I made the case that it would still piss you off when it dies halfway through the second use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for a good garage air compressor capable of inflating my tires in a reasonable amount of time. Anyone have any product recommendations?
If you do not want to buy one I could recommend you to use an air compressor rental - that is what I used when I was inflating my tires. I do not need an air compressor regularly so it doesn't make any sense for me to buy one when it is relatively cheap borrowing one.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ryobi makes a portable electric drill shaped air pump that uses their interchangeable rechargeable batteries
Bill

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had to get one to run the BendPak lifts. I started with California Air Tools:

https://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressor-contractor-grade/1-5-hp-air-compressors/cat-20015hp/

It was amazingly quiet. My ignorance caused the compressor head to fail (you MUST drain them regularly). I got a replacement for the failed part and installed myself. After that it just didn't like running on a 15 amp circuit. I sold it and bought an Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221

Both are fine for intermittent pneumatic tool use, filling tires, etc. Would not be adequate for a bead-blasting box and anything with continuous mid to high flow demand. The CAT model is amazingly quiet. Almost to the point of not noticing it. If you are used to the deafening Home Depot cheap compressors you'll be shocked. The IR is a bit louder, but not much.

I do find myself reaching for pneumatic tools much more often than I used to, and I've added several to the tool box since I got a decent compressor. There are some applications where a pneumatic ratchet is a dream come true.

Both of these are overkill if you really only want to inflate tires.

·
Super Moderator
7,519 Posts
Why did you decide not to store it in the trunk John ?
We have done a fair amount of traveling in the Sky, and trunk volume is (as you know) limited. Anything that can be carried or stored outside of the trunk, or in an unconventional place, makes more room for travel essentials like wine glasses and other picnic gear.

·
Super Moderator
7,519 Posts
I fabricated a bracket from sheet metal and made the cover. You can see the front of the bracket where it hooks over the fender, and the back standing up in front of the hood latch. The strap holds the cover on but also holds the inflator to the back part of the bracket.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I recently replaced a compressor with one from California Ai Tools.

It's a 2 hp 4.6 gallon twin aluminum tank with a 2 cylinder ultra quiet oil-less motor. 5.3 cm @ 90 psi model 4620AC

You have to hear the compressor to believe how quiet it is. 70 decibles!

The aluminum tank keeps internal from rusting and is lighter than the steel version.

I bought it from Amazon for $302

It's the best portable compressor I've owned - so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts