Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to keep myself busy this winter :cool:

Looked at air intakes, read a few threads on here about them. Mixed reviews.

If anything, would like to make it sound a little different, hopefully better.

Also, my sol gets about 19 mpg mostly highway. :(

Any comments on whether or not this would be worth the $100?

Blue 2006 2009 Saturn Sky Pontiac Solstice 2 4 2 4L Air Intake Kit Filter | eBay

Also, help on why my gas mileage is awful would be good too :)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Looking to keep myself busy this winter :cool:

Looked at air intakes, read a few threads on here about them. Mixed reviews.

If anything, would like to make it sound a little different, hopefully better.

Also, my sol gets about 19 mpg mostly highway. :(

Any comments on whether or not this would be worth the $100?

Blue 2006 2009 Saturn Sky Pontiac Solstice 2 4 2 4L Air Intake Kit Filter | eBay

Also, help on why my gas mileage is awful would be good too :)
If it's getting 19 mpg highway, you've got some problems. These cars will easily do over 25 on the highway. If you baby it, you can get over 30. Better check your current air filter, tire pressures, and run some cleaner through your fuel system, and some 4 cylinder engine restore in the oil.

As for the intake. Save the money. Put a K&N filter in the stock box. Much better way to go.

·
Registered
609 Posts
19 MPG? That is not usual for a base 2.4L LE5. I was getting around 26-28 hwy/ 21-23 city before I started modding the engine. I get 19 MPG on average and driving "spiritedly" with my stage 3 supercharger. I'm with OSUCherokee. You should check your spark plugs, oil, air filter, fuel injectors, throttle body, run some fuel system cleaner, clean the MAF sensor, etc. The aftermarket air filter you listed looks like the K&N one that GM offered for the base Solstice/ Sky. It will change the sound of the car and maybe gain you a mile or two/ gallon, but I'm not sure about the particular one you listed including its fitment. It looks like a cheap knock off, IMO. For the price, you're better off getting the genuine K&N that GM offers or just drop a K&N filter into the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
You need to look at some things don't know how many miles are on your car or how long you have owned it but Heliosky brings up some good points plugs ,air filter etc. Try some Techtron fuel cleaner it's one of the better ones on the market .I have a 2.4 and averaged around 25 mpg before turbo upgrade. I put a GM Performance intake on my car as part of a performance upgrade header,cat ,exhaust and tune got a bit more m.p.g.plus I like the way it dresses up the engine compartment.Sent you a PM about GM Performance Cold Air Intake .Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
WELL, my 06 gets about 17 to 18 and the GXP 19 to 20 and I make nothing but small trips. Both have been like that since I got them and they both run fine. the CAI will not improve anything other than looks and make it sound better ( a bit louder and deeper tone at throttle ). $95 seems ok for a no name intake. I think it'd be worth the money. just don't expect an increase in power or mileage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get up and go too much to monitor my fuel mileage, (my commute is ridiculously short anyway), but the whole reason I jumped in here is that after two tanks of 93 Shell fuel, and that potent and pricey fuel injector cleaner I bought two weeks ago, boy I can sure tell the difference.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've read about some intake mods, and it seems to me that the stock system is not too bad. I've used K&N filters on my motorcycle for years, and they DO flow better than paper elements. I've ordered the K&N replacement filter element for my '06 2.4.
I removed the big 'resonator' box and plugged the hole with a piece of 2-3/8" round CPVC bar, about 3/4" long...a nice fit.
I didn't want to hack up the stock filter box, but wanted to open things up, so I decided to just put some holes in the bottoms of the various chambers. I'll probably put some screens over all the holes, as a couple acorns fell out when I removed the box from the car. A couple different sizes of holesaws, and voila!
I can't wait to reset the ECM, put the new tires on and try it out...but it looks like another couple months before the roads will be acceptable.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
hey 2 wheel, my average trip (daily commute) is 2.4 miles one way. I make that trip 4 times a day, 5 days a week and usually go to the store every night which is not quite 1 mile away. I don't care what kind of vehicle you have. unless it's a hybrid, your gas mileage is gonna suck. I've made a few longer trips and the mileage jumped up considerably. Tell you what, I'm going to Kerville this weekend which is a good 250 mile each way. I'll track it and report back.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice N/A
84 Posts
I put the K&N cold intake on my 2.4L a while ago, gives it just a little more pep. I think I got it on amazon for $200ish. As far as sound goes, driving noise is not bad (from stock), a little whine when its pulling but a nice exhaust note.

While the little HP gains are nice, I think the best part about it is how it cleans up the engine compartment.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Finally put a K&N intake on my 2006 last weekend and the (perceived) power difference is substantial. Much more responsive to the gas pedal. I like the little growl a lot, too - makes little difference in the sound at idle, but it sounds really sweet accelerating. I've already noticed that it is sipping gas a bit more aggressively since the install, however, so ECM re-tune is scheduled for a couple of days from now.

Got mine through partsgeek.com for $235. Very easy to install.

·
Registered
347 Posts
To follow up, I've run a full tank of gas through it after the CAI install & re-tune. Coincidentally, also after replacing all 4 struts.

Got 22.45mpg the old-fashioned way, 22.4 by the DIC, so the latter is pretty spot on. DIC was showing 23.5mpg very consistently before, with only an ECM tune. FWIW

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts
WELL, my 06 gets about 17 to 18 and the GXP 19 to 20 and I make nothing but small trips. Both have been like that since I got them and they both run fine. the CAI will not improve anything other than looks and make it sound better ( a bit louder and deeper tone at throttle ). $95 seems ok for a no name intake. I think it'd be worth the money. just don't expect an increase in power or mileage.
Our turbo car gets on average, all types of driving ~27 mpg. Freeway it easily returns 32 - 34.

Heck, my LS car returns 27 MPG on the freeway and an average of 18 when I dont baby it.

I dont know how you drive but you should be getting closer to the high 20s with your 2.0 car.

Also you know about using the fuel treatment because of the issues with the fuel pickup?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.