Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to keep myself busy this winter :lurk:

Looked at air intakes, read a few threads on here about them. Mixed reviews.

If anything, would like to make it sound a little different, hopefully better, a few hp would be nice too.

Also, my sol gets about 19 mpg mostly highway.

Any comments on whether or not this would be worth the $100? Also, does this have everything I need? Does the factory air filter just get bypassed or do I need to do anything different to it etc etc.

Blue 2006 2007 Pontiac Solstice Saturn Sky 2 4 2 4L Air Intake Kit Systems | eBay

Also, help on why my gas mileage is awful would be good too :devil:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had a Fujita F5 on my first Solstice. Mpg went up about 3. Fujita is apparently out of business, and HPS makes a good one with a K&N filter. I put one on my current solstice and got the same mpg increase. Sound is much better, too. Easy to install, and the entire factory system goes away. (And you can see the engine to work on it afterwards) Cost $195 on eBay. Worth it to me. I get 25 in town and 31 on the highway. How hard do you get on it? I shift at about 4-4500 rpm.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I totally agree with citabria. I have the K/N on my GXP. Look at this way. You never have the buy an air filter again. Over the life of the car that will save you money!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a Fujita F5 on my first Solstice. Mpg went up about 3. Fujita is apparently out of business, and HPS makes a good one with a K&N filter. I put one on my current solstice and got the same mpg increase. Sound is much better, too. Easy to install, and the entire factory system goes away. (And you can see the engine to work on it afterwards) Cost $195 on eBay. Worth it to me. I get 25 in town and 31 on the highway. How hard do you get on it? I shift at about 4-4500 rpm.
I drive like an old man generally, just because i get such bad mpg. I've never seen more than maybe 21 or 22 solid on a highway trip :(

Did you take a look at the specific intake I sent, the somewhat generic one. Do you think it would be comparable?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I drive like an old man generally, just because i get such bad mpg. I've never seen more than maybe 21 or 22 solid on a highway trip :(

Did you take a look at the specific intake I sent, the somewhat generic one. Do you think it would be comparable?
I don't think there is really much difference between them, they are a tube and a filter, with fittings for the air sensor. I put a $100 spectre one from eBay on my 2010 Camaro, and it works fine. Put a K & N filter on it. Put a HPS on the solstice. Other than the shape because of the cars, not much difference. Don't know why your mpg is so low. Should be much higher.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Watch yourself with a CAI...sometimes it screws up the air sensor!

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
On the NA cars the K&N are not that much of a problem. Howerver on the GXP's it is another matter.

·
Registered
693 Posts
ive been getting around 20-22 city,25-26 highway with the auto trans.car is completely stock.i wouldnt mind buying a chip or aftermarket filter if i though i could get better mpg out of my car...

·
Registered
625 Posts
ive been getting around 20-22 city,25-26 highway with the auto trans.car is completely stock.i wouldnt mind buying a chip or aftermarket filter if i though i could get better mpg out of my car...
On all 3 cars of mine that I put them on, (1 Camaro and 2 Solstices, I got 2-3 mpg more with a CAI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts