Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 gxp with 27000 original miles. Original owner, purchased off showroom floor in Charlotte, NC.
Bought with all available options because I knew they were being discontinued. Color is brazen with black convertible top and black leather bucket seats.
Replaced original tires on January 2021. problem is new tires hit air intakes in front wheel wells. Apparently original tires were low profile. Replacements were factory spec but rub the plastic intakes in a hard turn.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
exactly what did you buy as replacement tires ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the same problem with my replacement Michelin Super Sports when turning on my 2007 GXP. Stock tire size. I had to grind the plastic on the vents with Dremel grinder. Fixed the problem.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I had the same problem with my replacement Michelin Super Sports when turning on my 2007 GXP. Stock tire size. I had to grind the plastic on the vents with Dremel grinder. Fixed the problem.
Weird, I haven't had an issue at all with the OEM sized Michelin Super Sports when turning with my 2008 GXP. Some air intakes are maybe a little longer on some cars.

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
Weird, I haven't had an issue at all with the OEM sized Michelin Super Sports when turning with my 2008 GXP. Some air intakes are maybe a little longer on some cars.
I can't imagine the actual parts being longer, but it is possible that the bumper/grill assembly that holds the duct has been pushed back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a scratch on the car. Garage kept since new. Factory tires were low profile. Guess I should have replaced with same.

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
Not a scratch on the car. Garage kept since new. Factory tires were low profile. Guess I should have replaced with same.
What size tires did you install? What were on the car when you got it?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,683 Posts
push the plastic ducts into the fender liners. They are only a pres fit and are not screwed into place. What holds them in place is where they connect to the grilles next to the fog lights, they insert into the grilles. There is a piece of foam weather stripping that is around the outside edge of the duct and is what makes the fit snug so it doesn't fall out... Well that engineering worked great when the can is young, fast forward 11-14 years and from heat, humidity, cold, rain, all of that kind of good stuff that foam is probably dust, if it isn't it sure isn't going to have any spring back left to it to keep the connection tight. I will post some photos in an hour to show you what I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
correction, the foam is on the wheel well side.

If the plastic push rivets came out that would cause the liner to have some slack also allowing that duct to move. I would add some more foam to it and if the push rivet closest to the duct is missing replace it. The rivet may be there still, push on the liner next to it and see if the liner moves if it does replace the rivet. If you see an open hole in the fender liner towards the front of the car there isn't supposed to be one. That is where the rivet goes.

What happens is the back of the rivet gets sheered off when the frame of the car twists from going over a large pothole or from kitty cornering the car over a large speed bump or into a steep parking lot or driveway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
push the plastic ducts into the fender liners. They are only a pres fit and are not screwed into place. What holds them in place is where they connect to the grilles next to the fog lights, they insert into the grilles. There is a piece of foam weather stripping that is around the outside edge of the duct and is what makes the fit snug so it doesn't fall out... Well that engineering worked great when the can is young, fast forward 11-14 years and from heat, humidity, cold, rain, all of that kind of good stuff that foam is probably dust, if it isn't it sure isn't going to have any spring back left to it to keep the connection tight. I will post some photos in an hour to show you what I am talking about.
Sounds great. It is almost 14 years old, after all.
In response to tire sizes...
Original was P 245/45R18-90 W
New is. Pirelli 245/45ZR18 (100y)
Don’t know if the difference is the problem or if I just need to try moving the intakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess I’ll pull the tires and check the attachments.
Thanks for the information 😊

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
There can also be a difference in a tires overall diameter even tho they are the same size. The size on a tire is beasured by the width and the sidewall height. depending on the tire you can have several 32's of an inch difference in the tread height. and this may be just enough to bump the duct. You may have to trim the duct if you have verified that they are pushed all the way in and it still hits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There can also be a difference in a tires overall diameter even tho they are the same size. The size on a tire is beasured by the width and the sidewall height. depending on the tire you can have several 32's of an inch difference in the tread height. and this may be just enough to bump the duct. You may have to trim the duct if you have verified that they are pushed all the way in and it still hits.
Thanks, will do.
Gilbert

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
you can check without having to pull the tires. just reach around the tire and see if the duct moves towards the front of the car. also push on the fender liner in the same direction and see if it has excessive amounts of movement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already tried pushing them in. Not enough clearance with the wheels turned. Since the car has been pampered since inception, I think the best way to solve my problem is to trim the ducts.
Thanks again for your help...

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
132 Posts
The outside diameter of the tire should be the same, but the width can be dramatically different. Just because it says "245" doesn't mean its actually 245mm at the widest point. Michelin 245 for a particular tire could be different than BFGoodrich. Case in point, BFG Rivals (autocross tire) are a lot wider than their claimed width.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm running Pirelli's on my Sky and doesn't rub anywhere. Interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts