Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This discussion branched from here: Just got my Air Bag Emulator

If it worked, the Airbag360 seat sensor emulator would not disable the system, it would keep it armed all of the time. So it would protect a full-size passenger, but would also put a child or infant at risk.

Liability is a big deterrent to providing an alternate solution to this failure.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If it worked, the Airbag360 seat sensor emulator would not disable the system, it would keep it armed all of the time. So it would protect a full-size passenger, but would also put a child or infant at risk.

Liability is a big deterrent to providing an alternate solution to this failure.
OKI, i'm confused.... don't airbags, by the nature of the beast, put children and infants at risk? at least that's what all my warning stickers say...

Bill

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Bill - the purpose of the sensor is to detect if a person is of stature that can withstand the air bag deployment and the car will arm the airbag. The airbag is left disarmed if the person or child in the passenger seat is small enough to be harmed by it.

If the bypass leaves the air bag armed all the time, the child or small person is at risk. If the sensor bypass leaves it disarmed the air bag will never deploy.

From what I've read over the years I personally believe airbags cause more injuries than they prevent.

·
Administrator
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKI, i'm confused.... don't airbags, by the nature of the beast, put children and infants at risk? at least that's what all my warning stickers say...

Bill
The purpose of the PPS is to disable the airbag when a small person is in the seat. With the emulator in use the airbag is always armed, so a child is at greater risk, and an infant seat should not be used at all.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,097 Posts
my car says put the kids seat in the rear...so...the emulator is good when you do that. apparently. and thats what the safty pull handle is for anyway so they can get out when they need to...if there still alive,
GM owes us all new PPS. this scam with The NHTSA is bs.so how do we get what we all should of got? a new PPS. the tape fix is a temp fix.as is stated on one of the gm service reckords says. temp , is not fixed. temp is not repaired, temp is not replaced. temp is temp until the part arrives. GM has the parts. so all temp tape fixes should get the new upgraded PPS installed at no cost by gm.. we just need to somehow get this done.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The purpose of the PPS is to disable the airbag when a small person is in the seat. With the emulator in use the airbag is always armed, so a child is at greater risk, and an infant seat should not be used at all.
Bill - the purpose of the sensor is to detect if a person is of stature that can withstand the air bag deployment and the car will arm the airbag. The airbag is left disarmed if the person or child in the passenger seat is small enough to be harmed by it.

If the bypass leaves the air bag armed all the time, the child or small person is at risk. If the sensor bypass leaves it disarmed the air bag will never deploy.

From what I've read over the years I personally believe airbags cause more injuries than they prevent.

thank you

Bill

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,371 Posts
Personal experience Counterpoint.
Was in a bad accident in my Jeep TJ about 11 yeras ago. Airbags deployed and I walked away and I really shouldn't have considering the damage.
Though me putting my hands up in front of my face (instinctual reaction) turned out to be a bad move as the airbag deployed, knocked my upraised hand right back at me and i inadvertantly gave myself a black eye. However, that was it. just the indignity of having just punched myself.
The other guy (at fault) did not fair so well as he had an older vehicle without airbags.
I am a firm believer. Seat Belt + Airbag for me please. Not gonna save you in every accident but certainly did for me in mine.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
I certainly appreciate your comments, HH and very grateful things worked out the way they did (after all, you're HERE!) If you'd care to discuss why you think you wouldn't still be here without the airbag, that's fine. If not, that's cool also.

I've just read multiple accounts of people saying they would have been killed without the airbag and analysts explaining why they wouldn't have been killed.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I believe a solid, well built structure and sturdy well designed seatbelts are 80% of the safety while the airbags might be the other 20%. I'd rather have the 100% if possible, plus, remember our cars don't have a roof nor the roof reinforcements usually existing in regular cars.

The only issue is when airbags become old decide to turn into shrapnel bombs such as those form the Takata fiasco. I hope ours do not have that tendency?

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
agent - the Takata fiasco was due to the explosives used to deploy the bag. It perturbed me to read "exploding airbags" in the headlines because that's what they do. The issue was the compound became much more explosive when exposed to humidity and it caused the nozzle and various mechanisms in the system to fracture and propel into the occupants.

It's also sensitive to me that I was about 2 months away from molding the igniter housings in plastic "many moons ago" but fortunately, lost the bid and they continued to machine them out of metal.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
agent - the Takata fiasco was due to the explosives used to deploy the bag. It perturbed me to read "exploding airbags" in the headlines because that's what they do. The issue was the compound became much more explosive when exposed to humidity and it caused the nozzle and various mechanisms in the system to fracture and propel into the occupants.

It's also sensitive to me that I was about 2 months away from molding the igniter housings in plastic "many moons ago" but fortunately, lost the bid and they continued to machine them out of metal.
Of course, they all do explode, in a controlled and designed manner, but the increased firepower when combined to moisture made them into "shrapnel grenades" of sorts.

Do you think that plastic housings could have changed the story? Maybe plastic being less hard than metal, plus its way of breaking usually making less sharp "shards" would have made the "shrapnel" less deadly.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
one of my daughters was effed up by one of those air bags.and the car still isant on the list.not enough of them have been crashed and not a high production number...so...that makes it all right and the company is not responsible at all for her injuries & disfigurement. , just another way to get screwed over,

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,371 Posts
I certainly appreciate your comments, HH and very grateful things worked out the way they did (after all, you're HERE!) If you'd care to discuss why you think you wouldn't still be here without the airbag, that's fine. If not, that's cool also.

I've just read multiple accounts of people saying they would have been killed without the airbag and analysts explaining why they wouldn't have been killed.
Right back atcha Chickenwire. Appreciate both sides of the discussion. Was a very surreal experience as the Adrenalin kicked in time appeared to slow down and I actually watched the airbags slowly deploy. Was a trippy experience. I t-boned an older pickup truck and the jeep hit so hard my front t
tires were halfway into the bed/ cabin of his truck.
The base of the windshield of my jeep was not even a foot away from his drivers side window.
I would have eaten the steering wheel and dash full force with my upper body (or suffered chest fractures from all of that inertia against a seatbelt) but instead bounced off the airbag almost like a pillow, hard to explain.
He flipped out of his driver seat, through his window and smacked his upper body across the top of my hood so hard it left a human shaped dent in it.
Shockingly he was released the same day from the hospital with very minor injuries and I walked away from the accident with nothing but a shiner from punching myself, grabbed my stuff and AAA gave me a ride to work. I can’t prove that the airbag saved me from serious injury but what I experienced in those moments sure sold me on them. Mind you this was a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubi (pre Daimler buyout) so I have no idea what brand of airbag or technology was involved..
I still miss that Jeep.
PS> of course the other driver had no insurance and was drunk at 8:30am and was blindly backing out of a liquor store into oncoming morning commute traffic. Yay humans.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Do you think that plastic housings could have changed the story? Maybe plastic being less hard than metal, plus its way of breaking usually making less sharp "shards" would have made the "shrapnel" less deadly.
That's a tough call. My initial reaction is no, it wouldn't have improved the situation. While the plastic shards would be lighter and carrying less energy I still think the velocity would result in extensive damage.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
one of my daughters was effed up by one of those air bags.and the car still isant on the list.not enough of them have been crashed and not a high production number...so...that makes it all right and the company is not responsible at all for her injuries & disfigurement. , just another way to get screwed over,
So sorry to hear this Mark. Always wondered about what wasn't being mentioned in the news. At the time i was guessing that takata may have been OEM'ing for other brand names as is common in the auto industry and wondered "how would you even know?".

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
yes they do make them for many makers., my daughters car was a off brand of toyota...scion. I know shw wishes they scars & blue lines from the explosive were not there, she does not try to cover them up. They are her battel scars. and she is who she is.not intimidated by squat. extremely independent & strong.
I wonder how many people have to get effed up by the air bag shrapnel before they put those cars on the recall/defective whatever they call it list? I got a call from her one day around 11am, telling me she was in a axadent, her stupid phone and hands covered in blood(from the air bag injury to her face) well her stupid phone would only call me. 150 miles away. she said everything was ok, no broken bones or any thing but her face was hanging off her head., finally a sherrif showed up as another car had called them,. the air bag caused All her injury's..

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
666 Posts
yes they do make them for many makers., my daughters car was a off brand of toyota...scion. I know shw wishes they scars & blue lines from the explosive were not there, she does not try to cover them up. They are her battel scars. and she is who she is.not intimidated by squat. extremely independent & strong.
I wonder how many people have to get effed up by the air bag shrapnel before they put those cars on the recall/defective whatever they call it list? I got a call from her one day around 11am, telling me she was in a axadent, her stupid phone and hands covered in blood(from the air bag injury to her face) well her stupid phone would only call me. 150 miles away. she said everything was ok, no broken bones or any thing but her face was hanging off her head., finally a sherrif showed up as another car had called them,. the air bag caused All her injury's..
Being in a Japanese piece of **** caused all her injuries. (Takata mostly being in Japanese cars made it worse.) I was in a heaf on collision at 110 mph in mu first Pontiac and got a broken arm.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,683 Posts
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Snow

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

IDK if I would have been in better shape without the airbag or not. The airbag forced my head backwards as my body was moving forward, kind of like what happens when a boxer gets punched except much much harder. I got out of the car took 3 steps and dropped, lights out. Neck issues and injury to the gray matter from it smacking the inside of my skull. swollen and bleeding I was told.

Driving down the highway at 70MPH and a person moved over and clipped the front passenger side of my car. Caused the car to slide sideways and I hit a jersey barrier with the front drivers corner. the car then spun and the car slammed into the back corner of a pickup truck.

Engine and transmission are pushed back. The head on the drivers side has pieces missing and the strut tower is pushed back and over to the passenger side. 23,000 miles on the car..

I got blamed for the accident, only charge was reckless driving. The person that clipped me never stopped and no one that saw it happen stopped either.

No the spare tire was not on the car when this happened, tire went flat after the accident. I am assuming when it was pulled up onto the wrecker and something got run over. Never checked to see what was stuck in the tire.

• Wow
Reactions: agent008
1 - 20 of 24 Posts