Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
College student that just purchased a 2006 sol from auction,

The drivers side airbag had been deployed and I now need to go through the process of replacing it. I gathered that I would need to buy the airbag, a clock spring, and an airbag module. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I should buy these components? Feel free to throw in any advice on replacing the locked seat belts as well. Any help is greatly appreciated! You guys are my go-to.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Airbags, new and used (not deployed) along with clock springs and sensors are plentiful. check eBay. Someone else may know better but I think you can reset the locked seat belt retractors.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
The seat belt assemblies are not re-usable according to the service manual and must also be replaced.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I will echo the sentiment that you should replace the belt assembly. While it is likely you can re-set the retractors I personally wouldn't do it. They are typically a set of gears that are engaged when an "deccelerometer" detects a rapid enough slowing to indicate a crash. There is a risk of damage when teeth engage rapidly and a sharp impact/load is imparted upon them. They are truly only designed to be used once.

For years seatbelts have always been recommended to replace after a crash, basically for the same reason. The nylon webbing can stretch and suffer fiber breakage under the sudden load.

The airbag assemblies should be "common" across several vehicles because makers don't typically design one per vehicle design. I can't confirm that in the case of the Solstice but would be highly surprised if it is unique. Their availability is high because scrap yards must disassemble them for safety and health reasons. The most common propellant is a known carcinogen, but only when mixed with water. You know, like if the assemblies are damaged in a crusher and then rained on in a scrap yard? Leaking into the groundwater and stuff?

The alternative propellant that is non-carcinogenic was used by a company named Takata . . . .

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
I will echo the sentiment that you should replace the belt assembly. While it is likely you can re-set the retractors I personally wouldn't do it. They are typically a set of gears that are engaged when an "deccelerometer" detects a rapid enough slowing to indicate a crash. There is a risk of damage when teeth engage rapidly and a sharp impact/load is imparted upon them. They are truly only designed to be used once.

For years seatbelts have always been recommended to replace after a crash, basically for the same reason. The nylon webbing can stretch and suffer fiber breakage under the sudden load.

. . . .
You are confusing the "Emergency Locking Retractor" with the SIR system's "Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner".

Beyond the fact you mention that the seat belt components should be replaced due to stress damage, the pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device that is single-use. When the airbag fires, the pretensioner also fires, and it cannot be reset or reused.

In some cases, with some cars (I have not seen that the Kappa is one of them but know from personal experience that a '13 Equinox is) the pretensioner will fire without the airbag firing. It is a very "interesting" experience.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Agree. Pretensioner or not, replace the seat belts.

The airbag assemblies should be "common" across several vehicles because makers don't typically design one per vehicle design. I can't confirm that in the case of the Solstice but would be highly surprised if it is unique. Their availability is high because scrap yards must disassemble them for safety and health reasons. The most common propellant is a known carcinogen, but only when mixed with water. You know, like if the assemblies are damaged in a crusher and then rained on in a scrap yard? Leaking into the groundwater and stuff?
The alternative propellant that is non-carcinogenic was used by a company named Takata . . . .
You'll be VERY lucky if you can find a replacement at a scrap yard. AFAIK (certainly true in my area) scrapyards are no longer allowed (by law) to resell airbag units, probably precisely because of the huge Takata recall.

This may be a state-by-state law though, so you could check in your state.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Thanks for the update John. Haven't been in that "arena" for some time and forgot about the pre-tensioners going pyro.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Thanks for the update John. Haven't been in that "arena" for some time and forgot about the pre-tensioners going pyro.
If you haven't seen one, or better (?) yet experienced one, it is difficult to understand the difference. The inertial lock holds the belt where it is when the deceleration occurs, and this makes the shoulder belt feel quite tight. The pretensioner tightens it, quite a lot actually. Mine in the Equinox fired without the airbags when I was rear-ended while stationary at a traffic light, and it was a little difficult to unlatch the seat belt. To fasten the belt so that I could drive home I had to move the seat back several inches, latch the belt, then move the seat forward to where I could drive. Even then, with the belt somewhat too tight, I was farther back than i really liked.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was unaware of the existance of the pretensioner. I watched a video of it in action. Very interesting

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
I was unaware of the existance of the pretensioner. I watched a video of it in action. Very interesting
The experience is even more interesting, but I don't recommend trying it for yourself.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
As we are so fond of saying on the forum, "search is your friend". We have mentioned this source of parts many times. I just had the occasion to find out how to remove the steering wheel airbag to replace the arrowhead emblem. Interesting process. Here's the airbag. How many do you want?

Link: 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice Driver Side AirBag g543

Richard Snipes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts