Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll be happy to respond as long as I know the purpose of your survey and what you hope to achieve.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'll be happy to respond as long as I know the purpose of your survey and what you hope to achieve.
Agreed. Forget the survey. I get enough stupid requests for surveys in E-mail and from on-line vendors looking for some form of justification they're doing their job.

We can all agree passenger seat sensor failures is an issue with these particular cars. I don't need to participate in a survey or the results to show me there is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am working on a story to bring more attention to the issue. I have compiled a list of 405 NHTSA complaints along with information from various forums and technical resources on the issues. I am using the survey to give me a better understanding of the issue as reported by the community.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The issue is of tow proncipal parts. First the basic design and material selection was flawed for a life safety component resulting in an unacceptably high failure rate. Coupled with the fact that the design allows uninformed owners to continue to operate the vehicle with no clue of the servicanility condition of the basic life saving devices in the car. Sevond the company made the decision to tske positive action with high production cars and totally ignore the rest of their customer base
, thus demonstrating a flagrent absndonment of their redponsibilities

Sadly its not a matter of if the poorly designed and manufactured system will fail but rather when and who will it kill next?

GM is lying every time they say they care about the safety of their owners

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
The issue is of tow proncipal parts. First the basic design and material selection was flawed for a life safety component resulting in an unacceptably high failure rate. Coupled with the fact that the design allows uninformed owners to continue to operate the vehicle with no clue of the servicanility condition of the basic life saving devices in the car. Sevond the company made the decision to tske positive action with high production cars and totally ignore the rest of their customer base
, thus demonstrating a flagrent absndonment of their redponsibilities

Sadly its not a matter of if the poorly designed and manufactured system will fail but rather when and who will it kill next?

GM is lying every time they say they care about the safety of their owners
With all due and loving respect for Rob's input, continuous and very valued analysis, I'd like to offer my "expansion" upon it.

I can't say that the design and material selection resulted in an unacceptably high failure rate. The materials in use are used elsewhere and similar designs are used elsewhere and there does not seem to be a similar failure rate in other vehicles.

That being said, there are other vehicles that are experiencing similar failures. A colleague has an Equinox that had a passenger side sensor fail - covered under warranty. Appears to be a similar design and a similar material.

Rob's assessment of an "unacceptably high failure rate" is accurate as is the decision for GM to take action on "high production" models and that makes complete sense economically.

As with anything mechanical that fails, it isn't one cause of failure in most cases - it's a combination of things. My personal belief is that this failure mode is created by the elevated temperatures of a convertible being left open and the sun heading the seats and thereby accelerating the degradation of the polymer's properties, combined with the likelihood of a "point load" in the middle of the seat from someone kneeling or leaning upon it.

It is a safety issue.

The failure mode is fail safe unless you have an adult in the passenger seat and you ignore the warning that the airbag is disabled.

Does GM have a legal obligation to fix it? Probably not In fact, I'd wager definitely not because they haven't addressed it.

The opinions expressed by chickenwire do not reflect those of the operators, moderators, or owners of this forum. If you would like further insight and diatribes, please PM the author.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone that responded and helped me gauge the issues. I compiled all the data and wrote it up. I can share the link to the story here if it is allowed. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I can't say that the design and material selection resulted in an unacceptably high failure rate. The materials in use are used elsewhere and similar designs are used elsewhere and there does not seem to be a similar failure rate in other vehicles.

That being said, there are other vehicles that are experiencing similar failures. A colleague has an Equinox that had a passenger side sensor fail - covered under warranty. Appears to be a similar design and a similar material.
There are a number of other cars and brands using a similar mat - probably from the same supplier (a guess) - and many have issued recalls. BMW comes immediately to mind. BMW Recalls 76,565 Vehicles Due to a Front Passenger Seat Electronic Sensing Mat Failure | Brandi Law Firm Blog

As with anything mechanical that fails, it isn't one cause of failure in most cases - it's a combination of things. My personal belief is that this failure mode is created by the elevated temperatures of a convertible being left open and the sun heading the seats and thereby accelerating the degradation of the polymer's properties, combined with the likelihood of a "point load" in the middle of the seat from someone kneeling or leaning upon it.
I would disagree here. The design does not provide enough stress-relief for the cross-bridge tracks that fail. *I* believe that the issue is simple mechanical stress and nothing to do with sun or heat. There is no UV involved and there was certainly no obvious degradation in the kapton/plastic of the mat. (See the BMW recall above.)

It is a safety issue.

The failure mode is fail safe unless you have an adult in the passenger seat and you ignore the warning that the airbag is disabled.
Still awaiting and answer about the possible disabling of the driver side too (per DaveOC)

Does GM have a legal obligation to fix it? Probably not In fact, I'd wager definitely not because they haven't addressed it.
Now THAT'S a laugh! Have the GM ignition switch and Takata fiascos not contradicted that one? :lol:

The opinions expressed by TS do not reflect those of the operators, moderators, or owners of this forum. If you would like further insight and diatribes, please PM the author.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts