Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had passenger seat airbag recall completed, about 3 months ago , no one has sat in passenger seat since , the other day I pulled car out of garage to clean garage and went for a ride around the block , as I was driving , beep sounded and service airbag light came on as did air bag symbol , after trying to figure things out , I see that my passenger air bag light goes on when sitting in passenger seat and off when not , my question is, can this be a problem with driver airbag sensor ? cannot find any info concerning drivers side airbag , when searching it always comes up with passenger seat airbag , not sure which sensor side . Thnks

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
There is no sensor on the driver side... there will always be an adult driver, so the airbag is always engaged. Given the on/off status of the passenger side, it would imply that the sensor mat is fine. This sounds like a problem elsewhere in the system. You'll probably need to go to the dealer to read the codes - I doubt a regular OBD reader will show anything for this.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,445 Posts
There is no driver airbag sensor, but there are bunch of different air bag components that could be generating that message. Best to take it to a GM shop and have them run it through their diagnostics.

There is no driver airbag sensor because when the car is being operated it is assumed that there is a driver in the driver seat.

(y)

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Even if it does turn out to be something wrong with the passenger seat sensor you are covered. there is a one year warrantee on the PSS recall repair.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The sensor hadn't failed on mine so they did the "reinforcement" in May 2018. I always thought it was cheeseball of GM to "reinforce, so the garbage sensor is better protected" rather than "get rid of the garbage sensor and put in a good sensor" (especially as the labor to get to it would be the same). Yesterday, I got a "service airbag" message. I don't know the cause yet as I just got the error, but if the sensor has finally decided to kick the bucket I wonder if they will replace the (presumed) now defective sensor under the warrantee? Or since they already did the warrantee "fix" with the reinforcement, if they'll say I'm on the hook for the $$. Guess I get to take it to the dealer now and see what the culprit is for the "service airbag".

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
The most likely culprit by a large margin is the seat sensor and, unfortunately, based on recent forum member experiences you are going to be on the hook.
The recall was satisfied, and the 1-year warranty has expired.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
The most likely culprit by a large margin is the seat sensor and, unfortunately, based on recent forum member experiences you are going to be on the hook.
He said the sensor registered that there was a passenger sitting there (or not).

Oh, and he never came back to the forum :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts