Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like research into auto airless tires is accelerating, with Hankook being the latest tire company to join the fray and publish info. You can search the web and get lots of info, photos, etc. No prices yet! This must be of interest to all spare-less car owners (eg. Solstice, BMW M3, etc.). Concept is great; looks not so much. No data that I can find on high-speed performance. Comments all you experts?

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Haven't studied in great detail, but read articles when they pop up on my radar. As with most "new" technologies it's taking time to develop.

I keep watching it due to my involvement in the plastics industry. My instincts tell me the ultimate winning design is going to have to be a composite of thermoplastics and true rubber. The former offering more physical property offerings and design freedom but lacking in durability over the latter.

·
Premium Member
18,478 Posts
The combat arms have been pursuing this for several years. Decades in some cases. The utility for a low speed, all terrain vehicle is pretty well along. There are different challenges with a car tire. Changing loading, varying the air pressure etc. But if / when they get it figured out it will be a good addition to our options.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I like the concept but the price will overweigh any advantages. Hard to believe they will be smooth enough to not feel like you are riding on rocks. and i wonder if they will have to use rim locks too. I like the current tires and the fact that I can add more air for mileage and stiffness or reduce pressure for added comfort. I rode in this dudes dodge SRT and he had 20's with rubber bands on them and I swear we were riding on shopping cart wheels. he could run over a penny and be able to tell you if it was heads or tails. I think I still have a loose tooth from the bump too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.