Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Two driver cars are lots of fun. Rob Cayse aka rwc_617, the guy who has the actual AL SOL-MAN license plate, drives here with his 2 sons, some events both of them, in his Deep.

Im actually planning to race in Chattanooga on Feb 3. They have gotten the earliest start this year north of Valdosta GA.

If you look up any post by Brentil, he has a collection of pretty good posts about getting started in Autocross. The TAC site has some good ones too. But I will be happy to answer any questions. I'm new but I have been going at it pretty hard since I started. I am setting up for my 5th event and getting involved locally in working events.

Cheers;
Bob

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
Excellent! :cool: I'm interested! I've been searching for opportunities like this ehresman :drool: :dthumbs:

I noticed that we could possibly do something at "Little Talladega" for around $200. Barber is pricey!
A large enough Group and the Talladega Grand Prix is managable. Barber is probably more expensive AND I believe you have to use plain water for coolant and pull all the lights fuses. Would be fun though.

The more fun road to Cheaha from 21 is unfortunately more gravel in some areas but is very similar to Dragon in terms of contours.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A large enough Group and the Talladega Grand Prix is managable. Barber is probably more expensive AND I believe you have to use plain water for coolant and pull all the lights fuses. Would be fun though.

The more fun road to Cheaha from 21 is unfortunately more gravel in some areas but is very similar to Dragon in terms of contours.
ALSCCA is running a Time Trials School this spring for folk who want to gt into Time Trials and Club Racing. There is also a school in Atlanta. ALSCCA operates events at Barber and Talledega. But if you enter either of these sports you will have to cage the Solstice.

I would check with the venues mentioned above - I have my doubts they will accept open roadsters without cages for any kind of high speed driving.

Here in Huntsville we run the annual Crow Mountain Hill Climb Time Trials event above Scottsboro.

http://www.crowmountainhillclimb.org/

I havent actually worked one of those yet, joined too late. I've been meaning to go up and see what the course looks like first hand, but it does look very twisty on the map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Scottsboro+AL&ie=UTF8&z=13&ll=34.817749,-86.027756&spn=0.066659,0.167542&om=1

Might ride up there and check it out this afternoon.

Edit - yep, it's twisty alright, may have scared all aspirations of Time Trial racing the Crow right out of me - aged pavement that feels very nervous at the steering wheel, big rock outcroppings that come right up to the shoulder, and lots of old growth trees that arent much less close. It's also rather short and surprisingly busy - probably not worth it for folk who live in other parts of the state to come drive. It will be a heckuva show for a corner-worker though.

Cheers;
Bob

·
Registered
225 Posts
That sounds like a great idea ... how about checking into that for us. Sol_man is working on a few ideas I'll have him post when he gets home from work.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm in for the meet whenever is best. Courtesy Pontiac may be interested in hosting our first gathering.

2007 Red GXP
Courtesy might sponsor us? Sounds good. They know Solsticegal and I in the Service Dept, they fixed my Sols diff leak.

Do you know of any good "twisties" bamasolstice1?

SOME IDEAS FOR LOGOS:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
'Bama meet

10-4.

I will check with them. I just returned from the Chicago Auto Show. I f I can figure out how to post pics, I will sends the ones on the GXP-R

·
Registered
225 Posts
10-4.

I will check with them. I just returned from the Chicago Auto Show. I f I can figure out how to post pics, I will sends the ones on the GXP-R
Are you doing the carshow here next week? Just wondered if they are doing anything with the Solstice....by the way check your PM's

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks bamasolstice1!
Hope to meet you and your Sol soon.
Do you know the driver of the mean Sol in your area? I see that car almost everyday on my way way to work. We tried to stop her last summer when we had a group of solstices stay over at the first Solstice Urban Camp ground.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Folks:

It sounds like the Bama Sols want to find something to do together...

How about racing?

Autocross is wildly addictive fun folks,...

Tac# 0 will be Saturday Feb 17th at John Hunt Park (JHP)

This is a Test and Tune event and will have drivers racing for time but the results are not counted for the year's point series - a chance to try out new car mods and get some fresh "seat time" before the real season starts. Y'all Come! Give it a try!...
I second Bob's invitation to TAC #0 in Huntsville. See this link for more info & registration:

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEventDetail.Show?psevent_id=6680&psrnd=.94158918691970097362444130451772939704

Your car was born to autocross! Let it off the leash!

AUTOCROSSING -- the most fun you can have in a car with your clothes on!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've not seen anyone in a mean sol yet, in fact, I'v e only seen the mean in some of the auto shows up north....
There is someone who drives a mean and she lives somewhere off 280 .... I was told there are about 5 or 6 Sol's that live in Brookhighland and they are all black but I've never met any of them. Sol_man said there's a new auto parts place down near where he works on 280 Chelsea area and a guy has just bought a new Sly .... We can't wait to see your GXP .... Sol_man wants to trade his in and get a GXP but he already has too many tickets I could just imagine what would happen if he had a GXP.:lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well I "consulted" with my dealer when they were allotted another GXP, which is currently being built....Its Mysterious, with Ebony interior, with all the trimmings.....it will be here in Birmingham in March. The sly sol lives in Eagle Point I think....thats who I see a good bit. I have also seen a aggressive sol in the area from time to time. Whats the term for non GXP ? N/A? not sure what that means though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cool logos, Sol Man! :dthumbs:
where have you been ??? no excuses now that the football signing is over....did you like what they got as far as football players? The kid from Tarrant's aunt sits next to me at work...(hey I know someone famous) How's your dad?? I guess you see we are working on a few things for the Bama club some you can see and some we aren't ready to announce yet. :lol:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I "consulted" with my dealer when they were allotted another GXP, which is currently being built....Its Mysterious, with Ebony interior, with all the trimmings.....it will be here in Birmingham in March. The sly sol lives in Eagle Point I think....thats who I see a good bit. I have also seen a aggressive sol in the area from time to time. Whats the term for non GXP ? N/A? not sure what that means though.
I'm so sure that when Sol_man see's your GXP he will not rest until he gets one but what good would it be if he never got to drive it??? cause I leave for work first and I would jump in and drive off first :devil:

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
where have you been ??? no excuses now that the football signing is over....did you like what they got as far as football players? The kid from Tarrant's aunt sits next to me at work...(hey I know someone famous) How's your dad?? I guess you see we are working on a few things for the Bama club some you can see and some we aren't ready to announce yet. :lol:
Dad's fine, thanks for asking! :)

I'm very pleased with who Saban was able to draw in a months work. Maze will be a real asset to the Tide. Wish we could have landed McKnight, Louisiana would've gone thermonuclear!! :brentil: :lol:

I would love to check out the SCCA events.

I have to get with a friend of mine. He keeps telling me of Hwy. 25 from Leeds to anlong 280 and maybe beyond. Real big with the motor cycle crowd and 29 Dreams Motorcycle Resort is along the way. Could gather at Barbers and then hit it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My quick "fun run" is Hugh Daniels to Hwy 41. Hwy 41 to HWY 25 ( great views on top of the mountain) and down to Sterrett. Then, out 43 to 280.
Only problem DEER!

41 - 60 of 134 Posts