Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer wants an additional 5K for the solstice, so I have been calling dealerships in California to get on their wait list. Everyone tells me a different story about their allocation. Some know exactly what their allocation is and others have no clue. When will it be official as to who got what on the first allocation, and then when will the second one begin. Any one have a time line on this?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Allocations are for 4 months of production so the first one takes us until the fall I think. Dealers got their 1st allocation #s a while back so they should know where they stand.

Most dealers have filled their first allocation (they have 9000+ orders backlogged)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
mceb said:
Most dealers have filled their first allocation (they have 9000+ orders backlogged)
My dealer has 4 cars for his first allocation. He has only been allowed to order 1 car so far. Should have been my car, but wouldn't take the order with leather, so I am next. Hmmm...today (Thu) is the pickup date, right? I need to call today and find out if it took my order.......xing fingers (yeah, like that's going to help!)....

After re-reading your quote, I thought you meant they placed all their 1st allocation orders. You are saying they have lots of orders on backlog that go past the first allocation.

Question: If the first allocation spans 4 months, when will the last pull for the first allocation occur? Is there a list of pull dates for the first allocation? Can someone post it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Try small dealers outside of California. California is convertible central so you may never find a 1st allocation in CA at this point. I found one in AZ, so depending on where in CA you live try AZ, NV or OR.

Also, I agree with nyca. Most dealers will charge MSRP, I would look around.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SD SOL said:
Try small dealers outside of California. California is convertible central so you may never find a 1st allocation in CA at this point. I found one in AZ, so depending on where in CA you live try AZ, NV or OR.

Also, I agree with nyca. Most dealers will charge MSRP, I would look around.
Good Luck!!
Don't think you will find a 1st allocation in Arizona, either. I couldn't find one. This is also convertible country. Oregon maybe?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
After re-reading your quote, I thought you meant they placed all their 1st allocation orders. You are saying they have lots of orders on backlog that go past the first allocation.
Hard to guage what the 9000 orders is but given that # represents half a year production I would assume it does stretch well past the first allocation.

9000 is orders (or people who put money down) not orders picked up yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer wants an additional 5K for the solstice......
every dealer in my area told me they were not allowed to sell for more than msrp...and trust me they would if they could!! check around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't go out of state due to the smog requirements here. But thanks for the info.

·
5,641 Posts
ggittyupp said:
I can't go out of state due to the smog requirements here. But thanks for the info.
While you may not find a proper emission car in dealer inventory. Any dealer, with the right codes, can order any emissions package. Though that could make the dealer uncomfortable and put you in the big non-refundable deposit game.

·
Registered
179 Posts
mceb said:
Hard to guage what the 9000 orders is but given that # represents half a year production I would assume it does stretch well past the first allocation.

9000 is orders (or people who put money down) not orders picked up yet.
Some of those 9000 orders could be outside a dealers first allocation, correct? For instance, I called one dealer at about the time the 9,000 order figure was being announced, and they had "42 preorders/deposits." Dealer told me they were backed up until spring of 2006. So it would appear that some of the 9000 total orders are beyond the first allocation for some dealers.

Similarily, some dealers appear to have first allocations available, even though the first allocation must be less than the 9,000 preorders. The next dealer I called said he was recieving 25 cars in his first allocation, and only had 5 preorders. So it would appear to me that a dealers allocation has nothing to do with the local interest in the car. If 50 people in a city have already preordered a Solstice where the only dealer is only getting 5 per allocation, they'll have to wait quite a while.

So, Joe, who preordered in May, order #5 at a dealership with an intial allocation of 4 cars will be waiting til '06, while Jane, who preordered in July, order #10 out of an intial allocation of 20 will see her car in a couple months.

That's the way I understand it at least!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That sounds spot on naoki.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
brentil said:
That sounds spot on naoki.
And isn't that kinda messed up? I understand that it is rewarding top selling Pontiac dealers, but what about the customers? Granted, I haven't purchased a Pontiac in about 15 years, but I have bought 3 GM products in the last 5 years, not including my order for a Solstice. And obviously I have many other manufacturers that I could have purchased from, but I have chosen to remain a loyal GM customer. It seems to me that it would have been more consumer friendly after the first 1000 to take the orders in the order that they were received. I shouldn't be punished because of the location in which I live.
And isn't it at least theoretically possible that if your dealer took your order and your deposit, but they have no allocation, that you will never get your car?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that there simply isn't a nationwide order system like this in place, so they had to work within the confines of the existing system.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
dengel said:
I think the biggest problem is that there simply isn't a nationwide order system like this in place, so they had to work within the confines of the existing system.
But, generally speaking (and I'm sure there are exceptions), wouldn't orders be on a first come, first served basis? I realize that this is outside the norm for most of the cars they manufacture, but it still seems like the fairest system. It just doesn't seem right that someone could come along and order an identical car two months after someone else, and that they would get theirs first, and the first person might not get theirs at all. It would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Editguy said:
.....It seems to me that it would have been more consumer friendly after the first 1000 to take the orders in the order that they were received. I shouldn't be punished because of the location in which I live.
And isn't it at least theoretically possible that if your dealer took your order and your deposit, but they have no allocation, that you will never get your car?
Its call a "sold order expedite" and it works well on most models. The Solstice will be an exception for a while as production is still in 'ramp-up' stage. Were the Solstice factory already running full tilt it would be much easier for a dealer to recieve a number of vehicles over and above their normal allocation provided they have firm orders for them. Its one of those things that some dealers abuse by claiming sold orders they do not have and, in the case of the Solstice, could lead to trouble for the dealer with the Pontiac powers that be.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
it seems that simple but really isnt...as the dealer can only order against his allocation.....over the four month period is my understanding...if he attempts to order more....the system will not accept it.....is this correct????.....dont know the rules for how a dealer gets his allocation....would guess it based on sales, inventory, history etc.......

I looked all over northern va and southern MD.....found a dealer in NOVA....who had a waiting list for his allocation (fewer cars)...and a dealer in southern MD....who didnt have many preorders against his allocation (more cars)....so the dealers being 45 minutes travel time apart..I went with the MD dealer...this was back in early May......the one in MD BTW was the only one that would do a written contract with total price out the door at the time as well.....three other dealers in NOVA would simply "add my name to their list" if I wasnt an EOP participant.

small dealer can you tell us more about how an allocation is determined??

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Well, the reason I've gotten concerned about this is that, after talking more to my dealer, I don't think my order is allocated. I knew it wasn't first allocation, but now I'm pretty sure it's not at all. They're saying not to worry, that I will get a car. But let's just say I don't feel reasssured. When I ordered it, I sat with the inventory manager as he placed it on the system. It's in there with an order number, they wrote up a contract for msrp at the time of delivery, and took my deposit. So, that's where I stand. I don't mind if I don't get the car until January-March, just as long as I'm getting one.
I checked dealers all around tthe area, but the onlyone that said they had allocation is a dealer that I don't trust, and they wanted a big premium, which I am unwilling to pay. And, I just don't want to have to try to deal with a dealer out of state.
Finally, let me say that at the moment I feel like this whole system sucks. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I admit, the whole thing is a little screwy.
My situation was similar - I ordered my Sol in April during the EOP (not 1st 1000) and was waitlisted. I was originally told I should have my car around Sept/Oct. Then when we heard about the delays, I contacted my dealer and found out I was #41 on the waitlist! :willy:
The fact that large 1st allocations were topping out around 15-20, combined with the fact that my dealer never returned my calls :banghead: , I decided to shop around.
I ended up finding a 1st allocation (1 of 2) in AZ. I just ordered it this week and it will be in before the one I originally ordered in April :brentil: . Go figure!

With regard to the quantity of an allocation - I believe it was determined by whether or not a dealership has sold any sports cars in the past. They are attempting to distribute them based on past market demand. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I ended up finding a 1st allocation (1 of 2) in AZ
Argggg! Where did you find that SD Sol? I called all around and couldn't find anything. And on top of that, a lot of them or either clueless about the allocations, or act clueless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts