Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Alternative Engine for Solstice

16K views 90 replies 37 participants last post by  Thraxz 
#1 ·
Just curious:

Has anyone considered - or have any GM reps mentioned optional engine choices for the Solstice tath would fit in the engine bay? The four banger is convenient and has relatively good mileage, and 170 HP is great for a four - but since Mallett is considering dropping a 400 HP small block V-8 in their hot rod versions, I assume there is room in the engine bay for other engines.

I checked GM crate motors on-line and found the good old 3.8 supercharged motor with 260 HP and 280 ft. lb. for about $4500 with all the extras.

Does anyone know if this motor would fit?

That level of power seems just about right for the Solstice...

#3 ·
That might be a bit tough since you would have to fabricate a number of items to make it rear wheel drive. GM Crate motors already sells the 2.2 that generates 205 HP and they manufacture parts for much more. See the URL below:

[http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/events/racing/ecotec_20L_supercharged.pdf

They are currently building them to 1,100 HP. I believe when they start shipping the Sky you should be able to purchase the 250 HP version. :)

#4 ·
Just so you know, this was extensively discussed a year ago on this forum. There were proponents for a 6-cylinder (like me). And there were rabid proponents for a 6-cylinder (like RikkadyGT). And there were proponents for the Mallet V8 (like delnari).

And every official word from GM corporate has been the same. "The Solstice was designed from the ground up for a 4-cylinder enginer and it will be a cold day in hell before a 6-cyliner engine is put in one" or something to that effect.

Yes, it's been discussed to death. And no, GM has never indicated a change in their position. I wish they would. I hate 4-bangers. But the GXP is going to be the best we can do. Sorry.

#5 ·
jimbo said:
Just so you know, this was extensively discussed a year ago on this forum. There were proponents for a 6-cylinder (like me). And there were rabid proponents for a 6-cylinder (like RikkadyGT). And there were proponents for the Mallet V8 (like delnari).

And every official word from GM corporate has been the same. "The Solstice was designed from the ground up for a 4-cylinder enginer and it will be a cold day in hell before a 6-cyliner engine is put in one" or something to that effect.

Yes, it's been discussed to death. And no, GM has never indicated a change in their position. I wish they would. I hate 4-bangers. But the GXP is going to be the best we can do. Sorry.
no need to get testy. :brentil: maybe some people are new to this site and would rather just ask then go on the hunt. :cool:

#7 ·
Iwant1 said:
It would also upset the weight balance.
Tell that to the 427 Cobra owners with a HUGE V8 up front.
Or the 911 owners that have 60% of the weight on the rear wheels.

The two cars are still OUT STANDING cars that have been proven on the track.
You will not lose a step or skip a beat by shifting a few % to the front wheels. BUT you will need to make the proper changes to the wheels brakes and suspension to keep the proper handling. And this would be no problem at all for a competent mechanic/driver.

I almost hate four bangers, the KAPPA needs a V6. VERRY few people (if any) can talk me out of this argument.

#8 ·
doooood, a 3800SC in that thing would be sick!

i will want to do a v6 conversion too on this car, even if its just a 60* v6! you cant deny that the roar from a nice rumbly v6 wouldnt be the perfeck touch for this car, hell i would do it more for the sound than the power. 4 bangers are too whiny, and dont have much torque down low. although the solstice does sound excelent with a borla catback installed, i know that first hand!

#9 ·
tednelson83 said:
doooood, a 3800SC in that thing would be sick!

i will want to do a v6 conversion too on this car, even if its just a 60* v6! you cant deny that the roar from a nice rumbly v6 wouldnt be the perfeck touch for this car, hell i would do it more for the sound than the power. 4 bangers are too whiny, and dont have much torque down low. although the solstice does sound excelent with a borla catback installed, i know that first hand!
No, I would not do the 3800SC. It is a good engine and all but the 3.6 Cadillac V6 makes just as much HP even without the SC. And the 3.6 Caddy is a 60* engine and revs to 7000 rpm. The all aluminum 3.6 is also lighter than the ALL IRON 3800.
The 3.6 is a natural for the KAPPA, it even uses the same rear end as the Cadillac CTS:) Why brake up a good thing?

#10 ·
Just a thought

We know the solstice uses the same Aisan manual transmission that a Colorado pick-up does. The Colorado has a 5 cyl engine avalable. It would be longer but otherwise oughta bolt right up. It has a bit over 200 hp last time i looked and is normally aspirated. Don't know how viable it would be but i suspct a 5 cyl solstice would be doable. BTW the base 4 cyl in a Colorado is 2.8 liters and 170hp so it looks like the 2.4 in the solstice has been breathed on already.

#11 ·
Sorry,

I did not realize this issue was so well documented - and - I did not know the 3800 v-6 was "front wheel drive".

I do feel and have always felt that the ideal motor is a V-6. Great natural smoothness, great sound, relatively compact size...

Perhaps one of the other V-6 models mentioned here would be a good fit for the car.

I think the "four banger" mentality from GM is indicative of their setting a plan in motion and then sticking to it (standard corporate think) along with cost-conciusness and fuel economy.

This does not change my feeling about a "performance version" with a V-6.

I feel better now!

#12 ·
If you were going to opt for an off the shelf small v8 from GM the 4.3 in the trucks would do the job, but first either fill the trunk with lead to even out the balance, or build the engine as all aluminum. Now that I've said that, consider the new V8 in the GP GXP which has been narrowed (steeper v) and shortened to fit under the hood, crosswise. With a proper bellhousing any engine can be made to fit. And the GXP V8 weighs less than the 3800SC or even the new 3900 VVT in current GTP. I do think the 5 would be a good choice as it is already configured in proper direction, the bottom end would be already built stronger due to truck service, and the only cons are where to put the radiator and any weight penalty. But then againm it would not be the first roadster with a 60/40 weight bias. Cheapest route however is forcefeeding the 4. And what is so bad about 4's. Most of you are not old enough to recall that at one time prewar (WWII) all Indy cars were inline 4 Offenhauser. And I also reiterate an earlier post of mine, I have a 30 year old DOHC 0.9 k litre (900cc) Kawasaki engine that normally aspirated with 4 carbs is good for almost 90 hp. Add sequential port f.i and 30 year newer thechnology for a good 25% imcrease, multiply displacement by 2.67 and I could see a potential screamer in 2.4 DOHC of about 285 hp before boost. NOthing to stop going into the 325-350 range with a 4.

#14 ·
The 3800 has been used in several rear wheel drive cars - most recently in both the Camaro and the Firebird as the base engine. The high output Firebird used a supercharged version, which as I recall , made 270 or
300 HP (was set up with higher boost than when 3800 was supercharged
for the Buick, etc.)

#16 ·
Lots of knowledge and experience indicated here.

My research on this forum reveals that Mallett wants about $15K to $20K to install a 400 HP Corvette motor and all the associated gizmos. Suddenly the $25K car becomes a $40 to $45K car.

If great results could be had for $5K or so, then.....

Perhaps there is a way to install a crate motor (V-6?) and use as much of the existing power train and suspension as possible. For instance, are there other GM cars which use the base Solstice motor and which also have an upgrade option of a V-6? (see where I am going here?).

I understand that it could be possible to coax amazing power from a 4 banger - but it will still be a four banger.

#17 ·
funkywinkerbean said:
Perhaps there is a way to install a crate motor (V-6?) and use as much of the existing power train and suspension as possible. For instance, are there other GM cars which use the base Solstice motor and which also have an upgrade option of a V-6? (see where I am going here?).

I understand that it could be possible to coax amazing power from a 4 banger - but it will still be a four banger.
Unfortunately the only car that uses the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC that also uses a 6-cyl engine is the G6. Which does use the new 3900 which makes good power, ~240HP. However that car is FWD so it might take a good bit of research and work to create the parts necisary to make what's needed to swing that engine around into a N-S position instead of E-W.

#18 ·
funkywinkerbean said:
Lots of knowledge and experience indicated here.

My research on this forum reveals that Mallett wants about $15K to $20K to install a 400 HP Corvette motor and all the associated gizmos. Suddenly the $25K car becomes a $40 to $45K car.

If great results could be had for $5K or so, then.....

Perhaps there is a way to install a crate motor (V-6?) and use as much of the existing power train and suspension as possible.
Yeah.... If you've got the stock 5-speed, get a bellhousing from a 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L. It has the GM 60 degree bolt pattern and the AR5 trans pattern. You're halfway home with the 3800...... ;)

Greg

#23 · (Edited)
If I were considering a motor swap my choice would be the I6 Vortec 4200, this motor produces somewhere in the 265-275 HP normaly aspire, and since it is an inline six it does not shake at all, it is smooth running engine.
That said what I would like to do is have something like the PROCHARGER supercharger with an intercooler bolt it to the 2.4 and see if 265 - 275 with about 6psi of boost can be had.

#24 ·
SCISOLSTICE said:
Put a huge engine.Take curve at high speed and watch the ass end catch up with front end. Makes alot of sense.
I guess you are right, there has never been a car that could handle well without perfect 50/50 weight distribution :rolleyes:

#25 ·
jester316 said:
no need to get testy. :brentil: maybe some people are new to this site and would rather just ask then go on the hunt. :cool:
I'm sincerely sorry if I came off too strong or implied that he should have searched 1st. I only meant that many of us are a bit disappointed or frustrated that the only engine offered for the Solstice is a 4-banger - so much so that it generated weeks and weeks of discussion.

The Solstice is almost a direct bulls-eye for its intended market, worthless trunk and all. But I think the single biggest mistake that GM made was to design a platform that could not use an existing GM 6-cylinder engine for the flexibility of adding one later. I can't say this was achievable within the car's mission of being "affordable, simple and pure under $20,000 MSRP".

A 6-cylinder power plant does not conflict with that mission, but if it would have added too much weight, or too much cost, or ruined the handling - then they did the right thing. But I sure wish they found a way to design the car to handle a 6-cylinder motor.

Sorry if my post came off as critical. I didn't mean for that. :blush:

#26 ·
LatinVenom said:
If I were considering a motor swap my choice would be the 6IL, this motor produces somewhere in the 265-275 HP normaly aspire, and since it is an inline six it does not shake at all, it is smooth running engine.
In my dreams. :smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.