Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the brake/clutch/gas pedals made of? Rubber/plastic or some sort of alloy?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Most likely steel arms/backing. They've used other materials before but anything else eventually bends. Guarantee they are covered with rubber pads. Anything less opens up the door for lawsuits if your foot slips off the pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Most likely steel arms/backing. They've used other materials before but anything else eventually bends. Guarantee they are covered with rubber pads. Anything less opens up the door for lawsuits if your foot slips off the pedal.
I'm not sure where you get your information. Common place now a days is plastic, the housing, bracket, arm, and pad. There is no reason to add rubber to the pad at all to prevent slippage either, the grooving and texture which can be added to plastic eliminates the need for rubber.

The only time you see rubber is over metal beams, and it's mainly to hide the unsightly heat affected areas from welding the pad to the beam. On occassion (Nissan for instance) you will see metal covers over the plastic to give the pedal a more sporty appearance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Corvette pedals are not covered with rubber....just plain metal. Is that a law suit too?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both my FX and Mustang have alloy/rubber combo, I really like the sporty appearence it adds to the cockpit. I'm sure the aftermarket will address... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Fortimir said:
Can you aftermarket the pedals? I would love Annodized Aluminum racing (Z06 style) ridged pedals.

http://www.corvettepartz.com/picbin2/content/z063pcpedalsmall.jpg
Not having seen (in person) the ETC pedal, but having experience with them (I worked for a company who designed, tested, and sold ETC pedals to OEM's) I will say NO.

Now, with that said... you can always use something that would clamp over, clamp around, etc. You will not be able to replace the beam / pad however, simply "cover" it up with something if you choose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts