Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. This looks like a nice, enthusiastic group!
Looking to buy a Sol next spring (maybe before).
At the summer Dream Cruise here in Detroit I was standing with another geezer admiring a nice '62 Corvette. I told him I'd like to have one but they're sort of expensive.
He replied, "When I was young I could get in it but I couldn't afford it. Now I can afford it but I can't get in it?"

Looked at a friend's Miata but when I sat in it my head hit the roof. I'm only 5'11 1/2" but "long bodied" I guess. I've never sat in a Solstice so I'm not sure I'll fit.
I'd hate to get all geeked up about buying one and then not fit in the thing. I could just drive with the top down all the time, rain or shine. Maybe carry a rainsuit like my I do for my motorcycle :)

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
New member here. This looks like a nice, enthusiastic group!
Looking to buy a Sol next spring (maybe before).
At the summer Dream Cruise here in Detroit I was standing with another geezer admiring a nice '62 Corvette. I told him I'd like to have one but they're sort of expensive.
He replied, "When I was young I could get in it but I couldn't afford it. Now I can afford it but I can't get in it?"

Looked at a friend's Miata but when I sat in it my head hit the roof. I'm only 5'11 1/2" but "long bodied" I guess. I've never sat in a Solstice so I'm not sure I'll fit.
I'd hate to get all geeked up about buying one and then not fit in the thing. I could just drive with the top down all the time, rain or shine. Maybe carry a rainsuit like my I do for my motorcycle :)
I’m 5’11” and I fit fine. I don’t even have the seat all the way back. It’s all in the adjustment of the seat. Your head will not hit the roof....but you may find top down is the best in most weather. (Except heavy rain). Mine has been driven top down in snow squalls, light rain, and of course mast any day the sun is shining! 😄

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
I am 6'2", and I own 3!

·
Registered
241 Posts
try one out and you'll know for sure.

i'm 5'11", short legs long torso and neve been close and never had anyone that said it was a problem. only gripe I hear is its hard to get in and out of from the seniors but its easier to get in and out of than a 911 imo and you see plenty of seniors driving those.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I am 5'11" and short legged and drive with the seat very close to the steering wheel. I have no headroom problem. Never put the top up. Heat and AC take care of all but rain. For that, just dont stop moving. Also, I'm juat about as senior as you can get without being dead.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
6'2" (6'3" in the morning!) at 235 lbs and I fit okay. You need to develop your technique for exiting. I have to pull my left leg up a bit but it's nothing too difficult.

I'd buy now or during winter. Prices for convertibles generally go up when the weather starts to get nice!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
One of the engineers who had a hand in designing the Kappa platform (Solstice/Sky) was over 6'2 and he made sure that the cars could acommpany us tall folk.

No lumbar support though!!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the great advice. I feel better now that it seems I can fit in the thing without bumping my head.
I think I'd better start looking for a nice Sol soon before the Springtime pricing kicks in.:)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
1 - the first time you sit in a strange car you sit up higher than you ever will when you get used to it. be sure to intentionally slump a bit and relax so you can check out a more representative position

2 - I'd start with the seat all the way back, then run it a bit forward and recline the back all the way against the rear bulkhead. Unless your legs are so long that they require a totally upright position, that should be the most comfortable starting situation. Then run the seat forward and recline the seat back again and see if you still have leg room. You should be able to find a position that best suits you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I started looking and trying them out. Was bent up like a pretzel getting in once in was alright .Wasnt sure i was going to like it. Easiest way I found is door all the way open. Back in and sit down and swing a leg in may have to grab it to bend more to prevent a door scuff. Get out the same way. Another thing I found if top is up and come up first to a stop light. Have to stay back quite a ways to see the light. Limited up view that close. Your inside the roof dome plus the sun visor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m 5’11” and I fit fine. I don’t even have the seat all the way back. It’s all in the adjustment of the seat. Your head will not hit the roof....but you may find top down is the best in most weather. (Except heavy rain). Mine has been driven top down in snow squalls, light rain, and of course mast any day the sun is shining! 😄
My kind of guy. I have 3 Skys

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've considered that a few times, its neat. I'm just afraid that I would need more support than what could be offered through an inflatable bladder?
Mine gives me adequate lumbar support when about 1/2 inflated, so you would be fine I believe. At full inflation it provides major lumbar area bulge, more than many cars with factory adjustable lumbar support.
Since mine is a 2007 I had to do the seat bottom mod first which was a higher priority mod for me. Without the seat bottom mod, the lumbar support would have been too high.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I believe there's also less headroom available with the optional power driver's seat. Worst case would be pulling the seat and fabricating some brackets, or going with an aftermarket like an adjustable Sparco or Corbeau seat.

I have a friend who is 6'7 who absolutely cannot fit in my car. He also couldn't drive my 350Z without his knees rubbing against the steering wheel. Depends on your torso-to-leg ratio, I guess.

One of the few benefits of being 5'9" & 150lbs: I'm pretty much the target size that designers use for sports cars, race cars and aircraft.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Im 6'3''. I do have a method of getting in & out to make it easier on the back but other than that no problems. Welcome to the forum Roadking welcome to the forum. I use to have a 2001 Roadking Classic back in the day & loved the look of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts