Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that the designers took a hard look at sport cars of days past. I think there are strong ties to the Jaguar D-type. I am not trying to get all the Jaguar people in a huff, but I see a strong influence in the Solstice. I think it would also be fun to make the influence even stronger with the right set of options.

Any thoughts?

·
2,574 Posts
SolLate said:
I believe that the designers took a hard look at sport cars of days past. I think there are strong ties to the Jaguar D-type. I am not trying to get all the Jaguar people in a huff, but I see a strong influence in the Solstice. I think it would also be fun to make the influence even stronger with the right set of options.

Any thoughts?
:agree: FYI
Designer Franz Von Holzhausen had recently attended the Monterey Historic Races just prior to entering his winning drawing in Bob Lutz's contest at G.M. for the design of the Solstice concept car and Jag, Alfa and Cheetah designs were fresh in his mind. So you are entitled to go to the head of the class. Also, I hope they (aftermarket guys) hear you re: retro type mods and upgrades for the Sol. Can't wait ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking perhaps 18" wire wheels with knockoffs might be intersting. An offset set of racing stripes and maybe a wood overlay on the dash and doors. :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
SolLate said:

Any thoughts?
Does this mean you are adding a fin? :lol:

:agree: In the luggage rack thread I posted a link to Steve McQueen's Jag (street version of D-type).

·
2,574 Posts
SolLate said:
I was thinking perhaps 18" wire wheels with knockoffs might be intersting. An offset set of racing stripes and maybe a wood overlay on the dash and doors. :)
Yup! 60 or 70 spokes or something like that would be great. Just what I'm thinking. My kid doesn't get it and thinks it's time they toss a net over me. :willy: (Can't stop talking about how cool the car is though)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
We did the wirewheels a while back and we could not find one with 70 or less, there are photoshops in the forum with a Solstice with wire wheels, however the wire count is much higher than 70 so it does not look good, there is a photoshop of an older wire wheel with the Solstice but that wheel is not available for the car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fortyninenorth said:
Does this mean you are adding a fin? :lol:

:agree: In the luggage rack thread I posted a link to Steve McQueen's Jag (street version of D-type).
No fin. :glol:

Not a recreation - just hints of the car.

·
5,600 Posts
I have to disagree on this one. The Solstice bears no resemblance to the Jaguar's of old.

That said, the Solstice adheres to the principal that flowing curves are a good thing. So there are obvious similarities between all of the fine curvy cars like the old Jaguars, Aston Martins, ACs and Cobras, etc.

But beyond the obvious similarities, I think the designer just wanted to design a beautiful sports car within the modern engineering and legal restrictions, and did just that. When people say their NB Miata looks like a Jaguar E-type, well I just can't see it. And can't see the D-type comparisons with the Solstice here either.

But I think I understand what you meant.

·
2,574 Posts
LatinVenom said:
We did the wirewheels a while back and we could not find one with 70 or less, there are photoshops in the forum with a Solstice with wire wheels, however the wire count is much higher than 70 so it does not look good, there is a photoshop of an older wire wheel with the Solstice but that wheel is not available for the car.
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear it though. Hopefully someone will step up on this issue. I'd seriously consider them if done right. ;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
SolLate said:
No fin. :glol:

Not a recreation - just hints of the car.
How's about two fins? God you know someones gonna do it!

I too think there is a lot of english roadster in the design of this car but I'd hardly say it was a copy of any one car. Retro maybe but still very much it's own car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that is an interesting car. The wheels give a look of wire without the real spokes. I hate the tailights! Looks like someone went crazy., but like most of the rest of the car. :cool:

·
5,600 Posts
hughfwolfe said:
Here is another modern day vehicle that has some Jaguar influence in the grill...
http://www.wiesmann-auto-sport.de/index.html
I love that car. I think it is gorgeous inside and out and a great machine. The Solstice is a very nice looking car, but even so it pales in comparason with the Weisman. Absolutely beautiful car! :willy:

·
5,600 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really like the rest of the car, but the tail lights- I don't know. Did anyone figure how much?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe a C Type

Here is a picture of a C Type Jag

1 - 20 of 23 Posts