Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 in 4 month allocation----ordered car without power package.
I wonder if not purchasing the power package could delay or perhaps advance the production of my car?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I haven't seen anyone not order the power package yet.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I wanted to keep the car simple, so started with things like LSD, ABS, leather. But I ordered the power package just because my other car has power locks etc. and switching between vehicles is tedious if they don't both have power locks, remote entry etc.

I initially didn't even order AC, its a convertible why do I need AC. But then we were hit with a heat wave in early June, which we still have with only a few days relief. So I called the dealer and had AC added.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Not having a feature added on more then liekly doesn't extend production time. However as we've seen some options can extend it, the leather being the main case we know of. So far that's the only delay in production we know of.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I initially didn't even order AC, its a convertible why do I need AC. But then we were hit with a heat wave in early June, which we still have with only a few days relief. So I called the dealer and had AC added.
I think you did right by ordering the AC. I was driving my neighbors vette the other day when it was about 100 degrees. We had the top down and the AC going. That made it really nice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I wanted to keep the car simple, so started with things like LSD, ABS, leather. But I ordered the power package just because my other car has power locks etc. and switching between vehicles is tedious if they don't both have power locks, remote entry etc.

You will be glad you got the AC. You never know when one of those summer thunderstorms will hit you and if you must drive in one, you'll be glad you have AC. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
timmyzthree said:
You will be glad you got the AC. You never know when one of those summer thunderstorms will hit you and if you must drive in one, you'll be glad you have AC. :cool:
Exactly, those are the worst. I always drive with the windows open and AC off everywhere I go, except during a storm. Because it ends up jsut getting so muggy and hot in the car with no AC.

·
Registered
265 Posts
don't forget. AC helps quite a bit with defrosting the windows if they are fogged up.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks guys, I also realized that if I wanted to head south for a Soltice gathering I would need AC.

My excuse is I only every had a roadster on the West Coast, temperate climate, low summer humidity; hence I have no experience with a convertible 85 F and 85% humidity.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Bandit1978 said:
#1 in 4 month allocation----ordered car without power package.
I wonder if not purchasing the power package could delay or perhaps advance the production of my car?
Black, Cloth, ABS, LSD, AC, CC/DIC/fogs, Mats. No power package either. Actually wondering if I remember how to roll down a window!

No leather...hate the stuff. Though it's gotten a bit better it doesn't breath. Had it in a Vette, 104 degrees outside, huge airconditioner running on the inside...result, frost on your nose and a sweaty back!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I do can do without air. Right now I have a few convertibles without air and even when it rains it doesn’t seem to bother me

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
In Arizona, A/C is not even an option. It would be virtually impossible to resell the car without it, not that I have any plans to resell. But I like having options!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I ordered the power package, but one thing to consider if your debating power or no power, is the totally annoying power door locks and thier "auto lock" and "auto unlock" feature. This feature is sure to completely piss me off. :banghead: If I could have got power windows and mirrors without the locks I would have.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Auto lock feature

I think people are really making a mountain out of a molehill on this auto lock situation. GM has been doing this for years on their cars (my Grandmother's '92 Grand Am has it and even my Dad's Lexus SC430 has it). But just about all of the vehicles they make that have some sort of driver info center have a selection to defeat this option (my Vette and my Envoy have options in the menu, you can have it auto lock, auto lock and unlock or no auto mode). And, I could be wrong about this, but I think even on the GM cars without a DIC there is a way for the dealer to deactivate this through the computer.

Truthfully it was a pain in the ass when I first got the cars, but I decided to leave it activated and I don't even notice it now.

If this is the biggest "complaint" about the vehicle we should be so lucky! ;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
C5Vette said:
I think people are really making a mountain out of a molehill on this auto lock situation. ;)
I think the complaints about the autolock arise from a post in another thread, where one of the people with access to a pre-production Solstice (BIG JOHN, maybe?) stated that there is no power lock/unlock switch in the cockpit. The auto unlock doesn't unlock the doors until you shut off the ignition. So if you want to drop-off/pick-up a passenger, you either have to reach across the passenger seat to unlock the passenger door manually, shut off the car so it will auto unlock, or fumble around for the key fob which is probably hanging out of ignition to hit the unlock button on it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
dengel said:
I think the complaints about the autolock arise from a post in another thread, where one of the people with access to a pre-production Solstice (BIG JOHN, maybe?) stated that there is no power lock/unlock switch in the cockpit. The auto unlock doesn't unlock the doors until you shut off the ignition. So if you want to drop-off/pick-up a passenger, you either have to reach across the passenger seat to unlock the passenger door manually, shut off the car so it will auto unlock, or fumble around for the key fob which is probably hanging out of ignition to hit the unlock button on it.
The only passengers I'll have are girls and I always get out and open the door for them, so no complaints from me :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts