Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Solstice enthusiasts! I am new here and will probably get on a couple of times a week to view other Solstice owners' problems and solutions. I have a 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP Turbo which I impeccably maintain. It has an automatic transmission and the heavy padded convertible top which even my wife can operate. The dashboard tire pressure reader is a Godsend. I bought it with 5,000 miles on it and have had very few repairs performed, other than the obligatory tires, wiper blades, battery and alignment. I get about 30 mpg city/highway combined and live in the country where the air is clean and there is no smog or other air pollutants to ruin the black paint finish.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you are enjoying the ride! How long have you had it?

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Maritza M: No picture as my digital camera broke a while back. As soon as I can get someone to take a pic i will post it. It is just a standard GXP Turbo in black.

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sly Bob: I have had my little gem since July 2013. There are about 6-8 other Solstices in my area but most of them are 2006 and 2007 so I have no peers with which to compare notes. I did once manage to talk to a Saturn Sky owner by chance in a Wal-Mart shopping lot and learned much from that meeting. It appears that the differences between the two are neglible compared to the duplicity.

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
joybill44: I am enjoying it immensely and at my advanced age (won't tell) am enjoying it like a teenager. Thanks for welcoming me.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
With that low a miles, have all the fluids been changed? Especially the brake fluid???

·
Premium Member
10,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ghost: Absolutely. I have a local master mechanic whom I entrust the servicing of my Solstice to. He changed it all, brake fluid (something about copper content), transmission fluid, oil changed to Mobil 1 and lubed the doors, trunk hinges and convertible top moving parts. I paid a steep price for this beauty so I expect to pay for maintenance. He also did a 4 wheel front end alignment and changed the tires to Firestone one direction tires...and he had a buyer for the tires that came with the Solstice.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Well...he lied to you about brake fluid or he's not very versed on things. There is no copper in the fluid...however, there is a new law about copper in ceramic pads. Metallic usually don't have copper, but most ceramics do (I work for Akebono Brake Company). All ceramic makers should have a copper free pad by Nov of this year.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Well...he lied to you about brake fluid or he's not very versed on things. There is no copper in the fluid...however, there is a new law about copper in ceramic pads. Metallic usually don't have copper, but most ceramics do (I work for Akebono Brake Company). All ceramic makers should have a copper free pad by Nov of this year.
Copper in the brake fluid has nothing to do with the pads:
When tests of brake fluid show a high level of copper, this indicates that the corrosion inhibitors in the fluid are depleted.

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JohnWR: You hit the nail on the head. My mechanic is no liar and he knows more about GM cars than the local GM dealer. I have had one factory recall for which I took my Solstice to the local Cadillac dealership where the service manager maintains his sister's Solstice so I think I am covered. Thanks for clearing this up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts