Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Solstice base model... Custom paint work in now complete and have the entire interior out of the car, also the dash tore down to swap the head unit at the same time.

Now I'm stuck big time! There has to be a simple -run this here, stick that there, answer from someone here -I hope at least! I've read so many threads I'm cross eyed!

Did a complete color change custom candy paint (don't let it out of your sight for a minute, can't hardly be matched type of custom paint, new bright white interior, fresh boomerang paint), -now even though I'm willing to throw in the towel and take it to Best buy or some place to finish the stereo install, stand guard over it like a mother hen, I can't even put it back together enough to do that.

Bought the killer head unit, Kenwood DNX570HD, all 3 of the required modules, the Scosche kit #GM13SR, the Maestro SW control interface ADS-MSW, SiriusXM Tuner SXV300, the antenna adapter, even put a shark fin replacement antenna on the rear deck before painting.

Didn't notice the amp though, yep' Monsoon... My youngest son came over and spliced in the Scosche harness to the radio and it's all ready to plug it in the dash, but that was before we or I noticed the AMP under the plastic that had protected the inside of the car during the paint work.

Really don't want some stereo installer pulling the interior and dash back apart with all the fresh paint if I can find a fix to do it myself if I can avoid it...

So do I just motor on and plug everything in and take my chances on any security codes that might be involved, or worse smoking the new head unit?

Anyone been here before and have a simple solution (AKA miracle) for me on how to make the amp get along with the new head unit? Left everything else in place, just the head unit has changed...

Any advise or explanations on a fix would be hugely appreciated!

Thickmc

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
67 Posts
You have a couple options here. You can retain the amplifier by using the RCA outs on the scosche harness and plugging that directly into the ports of the Kenwood head unit. On the back of the Kenwood there are 3 sets of pre amplified output rca plugs if Im not mistaken. There will be Front, Rear, and SW for subwoofer. White goes to front white, gray goes to front red, green goes to rear white, and purple goes to rear red. If the RCAs were already cut and spliced into the harness by solder/tape or crimps (dont just tape the connections, its not that reliable) then that works to. Make sure the relay is hooked up or you wont have enough accessory power for the radio to function properly, the factory radio is very low current so the relay is absolutely necessary. Thats option one

Option two
Wire in the scosche harness to the Kenwood radio harness without the RCAs and still use the relay. The amplifier for the monsoon systems is located behind the driver seat behind the plastic wall. Taking the wall off is pretty easy, its all pressure clips, invest in plastic pry tools, harbor freight has them for 5 dollars. Center console comes out, then the lower door sills, the rear speaker covers, then the back waterfall cover all comes out. You will do what is called an amplifier bypass. This is when you take the speaker inputs of the amp (radio to amp) and connecting them to the speaker outputs of the amp (amp to speakers). If your feeling up to it, you can terminate the remaining wires and remove the amp all together. There are advantages and disadvantages to these options.

Pros for option 1
Easier
Can retain factory subwoofer and speakers
Cons for option 1
Replacement speakers wont sound right with monsoon amp. If there is later audio problem, harder to diagnose due to the complexity of GMs can bus operated audio systems
Pros for option 2
Replacing speakers is easier
adding aftermarket amplifier with more power and better quality is now an available options
Cons for option 2
Slightly difficult to do
lose factory sub
will have quiter audio until aftermarket amp is added

Keep in mind if you replace the amp you will have to replace the speakers at the same time however you can add speakers without having them amplified. Having aftermarket speakers amplified by a factory amp generally doesnt work, especially with the monsoon system.

Here is a monsoon amp wiring guide. Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions, I am an MECP certified installer so this is my life and passion.

Also, the mounting depth behind the factory radio is too shallow for the new radio and the bulky scosche harness. You may want to get a small hand saw or air saw to cut the back board out. Be careful doing this, the HVAC plumbing is behind the plastic wall.

As for the ADS Maestro, Im using that to and I love it however it does require programming. You will need whats called a weblink connector for it and the online software for it as well which I believe requires a login. If you ask the Autotechs at bestbuy nicely to program your module for your car, they will usually do it for 25 dollars. Ask for a wiring guide for the ADS as well. Certain wires need to be connected to specific spots.

As far as having someone else install it. Bestbuy is really good about it. For everything you want done your probably looking around 200 dollars without an amp bypass, and about 250 with an amp bypass but check with them obviously. All the autotechs at bestbuy have to be certified, as well as that, they are insured so if they do put a scratch in your car they will take care of it, just make sure you thoroughly go over the car with them before they start work so there is no contesting and let them know how important the car is to you.

2006-2008 Pontiac Solstice with Monsoon Wiring Information

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr. Watson -you are impressive! Your advice is apreciated!

The Scosche harness is currently connected by the wires, my son who works at Best buy as a computer repair guy, wired it on a visit and before I knew I had the amp in the loop. He's the one that got the modules we needed at Best buy. So sounds like Option one is the best bet, so I can retain the system as is using all factory stuff, while using just the new head unit and the three modules in hand.

If I've misread or overlooked something by choosing option one, please! Correct me as needed. I'm pleased to have such professional assistance on this.

Also while I have you -when my son wired the head unit he also via USB programmed the ADS for the wheel using the web site, but didn't know where to connect the four wires for it to actually connect to the wheel buttons on the car side. I'm assuming he meant on the car side, last he told me he would have to check with an install tech at work, that was a week ago...

I had no clue the size difference in the head units, great point to make while I've still got it all tore apart.

The car is completely torn down, I've attached a shot of the car, fresh paint before wet sanding and buffing. Really rather not have to assemble the car just to get it to Best buy and tear it all down again. So if I can get it done here, it really would ease the pain of the whole deal!

I'm attaching a shot of the car, HOK Sunrise Yellow pearl (original Bumblebee movie color), two tone with candy yellow over the Sunrise on the bottom half of the car. Three different flavors of yellow pearl over all. Silver heavy flake under candy on the hood. Wife chose the colors if you are wondering...

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Thickmc

You have a couple options here. You can retain the amplifier by using the RCA outs on the scosche harness and plugging that directly into the ports of the Kenwood head unit. On the back of the Kenwood there are 3 sets of pre amplified output rca plugs if Im not mistaken. There will be Front, Rear, and SW for subwoofer. White goes to front white, gray goes to front red, green goes to rear white, and purple goes to rear red. If the RCAs were already cut and spliced into the harness by solder/tape or crimps (dont just tape the connections, its not that reliable) then that works to. Make sure the relay is hooked up or you wont have enough accessory power for the radio to function properly, the factory radio is very low current so the relay is absolutely necessary. Thats option one

Option two
Wire in the scosche harness to the Kenwood radio harness without the RCAs and still use the relay. The amplifier for the monsoon systems is located behind the driver seat behind the plastic wall. Taking the wall off is pretty easy, its all pressure clips, invest in plastic pry tools, harbor freight has them for 5 dollars. Center console comes out, then the lower door sills, the rear speaker covers, then the back waterfall cover all comes out. You will do what is called an amplifier bypass. This is when you take the speaker inputs of the amp (radio to amp) and connecting them to the speaker outputs of the amp (amp to speakers). If your feeling up to it, you can terminate the remaining wires and remove the amp all together. There are advantages and disadvantages to these options.

Pros for option 1
Easier
Can retain factory subwoofer and speakers
Cons for option 1
Replacement speakers wont sound right with monsoon amp. If there is later audio problem, harder to diagnose due to the complexity of GMs can bus operated audio systems
Pros for option 2
Replacing speakers is easier
adding aftermarket amplifier with more power and better quality is now an available options
Cons for option 2
Slightly difficult to do
lose factory sub
will have quiter audio until aftermarket amp is added

Keep in mind if you replace the amp you will have to replace the speakers at the same time however you can add speakers without having them amplified. Having aftermarket speakers amplified by a factory amp generally doesnt work, especially with the monsoon system.

Here is a monsoon amp wiring guide. Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions, I am an MECP certified installer so this is my life and passion.

Also, the mounting depth behind the factory radio is too shallow for the new radio and the bulky scosche harness. You may want to get a small hand saw or air saw to cut the back board out. Be careful doing this, the HVAC plumbing is behind the plastic wall.

As for the ADS Maestro, Im using that to and I love it however it does require programming. You will need whats called a weblink connector for it and the online software for it as well which I believe requires a login. If you ask the Autotechs at bestbuy nicely to program your module for your car, they will usually do it for 25 dollars. Ask for a wiring guide for the ADS as well. Certain wires need to be connected to specific spots.

As far as having someone else install it. Bestbuy is really good about it. For everything you want done your probably looking around 200 dollars without an amp bypass, and about 250 with an amp bypass but check with them obviously. All the autotechs at bestbuy have to be certified, as well as that, they are insured so if they do put a scratch in your car they will take care of it, just make sure you thoroughly go over the car with them before they start work so there is no contesting and let them know how important the car is to you.

2006-2008 Pontiac Solstice with Monsoon Wiring Information

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
WAIT!!!

The Monsoon amp has BALANCED inputs. This means that the standard single-ended outputs from your new radio will not work with the Monsoon amp. Also the amp turn-on signal is also specific - a PWM-based signal - and your amp may not even turn on without the original radio.

Your best bet here is to throw out the Monsoon amp and replace it with an aftermarket one. Sorry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, if that's the case, just replacing the amp -cost wise isn't an issue, finding a replacement that could just be plugged in would then be my problem.

Is there any out there that would just plug into the existing harness the Monsoon currently uses? That would also work with the stock speakers etc?

This is snowballing...

Dr. Watson, TomatoSoup, anyone suggestions?

Thanks!
Thickmc

WAIT!!!

The Monsoon amp has BALANCED inputs. This means that the standard single-ended outputs from your new radio will not work with the Monsoon amp. Also the amp turn-on signal is also specific - a PWM-based signal - and your amp may not even turn on without the original radio.

Your best bet here is to throw out the Monsoon amp and replace it with an aftermarket one. Sorry.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I would (actually, I did) run new signal wires from the radio, along the center console (under the armrest), back to a new amp. Pretty easy to fish wires there if you pop the armrest bit off.

Then, if you must, just cut off the connector that went to the old amp and wire the factory speaker wires into the outputs of the new amp. Pretty easy actually.

The only - slightly - more difficult part is running new power line to the amp. You could use the old amp's power wire too, but may not be enough current capacity for a decent aftermarket amp.

Wiring:

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
67 Posts
I've managed to get the factory monsoon amp to turn on with the scosche harness using the RCAs. It has the data i/os for the amp turn on as well. I have a Kicker PX300.4 that works really well with the aftermarket speakers. You don't need to run really thick wire for it, 8 gauge at the thickest but I'm using 10. You can use all speaker wire to wire it up as well, so you don't need RCAs or anything to make it work. There will be a tear down video posted on 12/5 for my audio system to help with other forum users.

You should be able to use the high level lines from the scosche harness, I never did it that way but it should work the same way I would assume. Unless there was a massive voltage offset that could put the monsoon into protect or shutdown mode.

You should have a wiring guide for the ADS maestro. I think its power, ground, and 2 data wires. Power and ground I get from the new RAP from the relay of the scosche (30 or 87 depending on how you wired it, you want the accessory end, not the constant end) the 2 data wires you tap into. These wires run off resistance codes so soldering is a no no because that may alter the resistance ins/outs. An easy way to strip the wires back on GMs is to get your wire strippers, clamp down about 3mm left and right of where you want to tap into, then run a razor blade between the 2 clamp sites you just made. You should be able to peel back the wire cover and tap into the copper wire, poke a whole through the wire and wrap your ADS wire through and around it, tape it shut tightly.

Give the high level wiring a try, it should turn the factory amp on so long as it is wired correctly.

If you get an aftermarket amp, go with my method 2. Replace the speakers while your at it though because an aftermarket amp will probably toast the factory speakers in a matter of days. I recommend the Kicker PX300.4. Alpine makes the "Power Pack" which also works nicely and you can run it off headunit power and not run a power wire through your firewall.

If you do the amplifier bypass, a good way to test your speakers and make sure that your wiring the amp inputs to the speaker inputs correctly, you can take a AA battery (any 1.5v battery will do, dont use 9v as you may damage the speaker) hold the positive side wire onto the positive end of the battery, tap the negative end to the other side of the battery, you should get a "pop" from the respective speaker to verify your wiring the right ends together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoping for help... Hooked up everything using the ccosche harness, seems everything works gpc, radio finding stations but no sound. I've tried following Dr. Watson on his workaround, but since I'm not using the RCA jacks, not sure how to get power to the amp.

One other odd thing the radio stations being detected are not from our area!

So in addition to finding a way to turn on the amp, wondering what the deal with the radio stations is!?

Any help?

Thanks!
Thickmc

I've managed to get the factory monsoon amp to turn on with the scosche harness using the RCAs. It has the data i/os for the amp turn on as well. I have a Kicker PX300.4 that works really well with the aftermarket speakers. You don't need to run really thick wire for it, 8 gauge at the thickest but I'm using 10. You can use all speaker wire to wire it up as well, so you don't need RCAs or anything to make it work. There will be a tear down video posted on 12/5 for my audio system to help with other forum users.

You should be able to use the high level lines from the scosche harness, I never did it that way but it should work the same way I would assume. Unless there was a massive voltage offset that could put the monsoon into protect or shutdown mode.

You should have a wiring guide for the ADS maestro. I think its power, ground, and 2 data wires. Power and ground I get from the new RAP from the relay of the scosche (30 or 87 depending on how you wired it, you want the accessory end, not the constant end) the 2 data wires you tap into. These wires run off resistance codes so soldering is a no no because that may alter the resistance ins/outs. An easy way to strip the wires back on GMs is to get your wire strippers, clamp down about 3mm left and right of where you want to tap into, then run a razor blade between the 2 clamp sites you just made. You should be able to peel back the wire cover and tap into the copper wire, poke a whole through the wire and wrap your ADS wire through and around it, tape it shut tightly.

Give the high level wiring a try, it should turn the factory amp on so long as it is wired correctly.

If you get an aftermarket amp, go with my method 2. Replace the speakers while your at it though because an aftermarket amp will probably toast the factory speakers in a matter of days. I recommend the Kicker PX300.4. Alpine makes the "Power Pack" which also works nicely and you can run it off headunit power and not run a power wire through your firewall.

If you do the amplifier bypass, a good way to test your speakers and make sure that your wiring the amp inputs to the speaker inputs correctly, you can take a AA battery (any 1.5v battery will do, dont use 9v as you may damage the speaker) hold the positive side wire onto the positive end of the battery, tap the negative end to the other side of the battery, you should get a "pop" from the respective speaker to verify your wiring the right ends together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted to post a follow up on this. Using DrWatson90 instructions we were able to get it working -well partially anyways...

Ended up putting the RCA jacks back on the scosche harness and once we tied the blue and white striped wire to power up the amp everything came alive -except for the door speakers.

No matter what we tried no sound from the doors is to be found. We also wired in the "remote control wire" in the chance both of the triggers on the amp had to be powered, but still no door speakers.

Not sure where to go from here, ran the battery down so have to wait overnight to try anything else. Next up pulling the door speakers and seeing if they have power getting to them.

We do still have the boomerang out of the car not sure if that would have any effect on whether the door speakers would work though...

Not sure what to try after that, but did want to report that following Drwatson we did get some sound!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why not do a JBL MS8 with 8 channels of amplification. Pull the factory amp out install your new head unit run a set of RCA's into the MS8 and wire the outputs into the factory speakers. Set your crossover points and you are done. Or you can do any 4 channel amp to go to your factory speakers. Because of the ohms rating of the factory speakers I would advise running the factory speakers off the new radio's internal amp.

Because you are not currently getting sound from the door speakers you might need a different kind of trigger for the speaker amp. Check your rca's on what they are plugged into

1 - 10 of 10 Posts